Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Buying LR & Warranty - after manufacturers ends

Interesting note as one or two on here, myself included, intend to keep the Disco past 3 years. It will be a bit of a novelty as I don’t normally do that, but in this pandemic and economic climate, it just seems like madness to throw money away on a new car, particularly as most of us aren’t doing any great mileage - I’ve done less than 20k since new and LR aren’t giving away any big discounts - trying to think, but I got about 20% off list a couple of years back, now you’re luck to get half of that and yet we are in a recession! The car industry is obviously oblivious to covid or they are trying to make up for what they lost in the last year from us punters.

Anyway, Warranty Direct used to be the after 3 year warranty weapon of choice, but now they aren’t selling to the public. The firm was taken over and reading between the lines, some reorganisation is taking place including a review of warranty products. It may be back, but at the moment it isn’t an option.

There are other firms on the go, which have had mixed reviews. Warranty Wise, Motor Easy etc. Then there is the LR branded one, which isn’t run by LR, but I know they get good commission. I believe nearly 50% of the not very cheap premium finds it’s way into LRs and/or the dealerships pocket.

There is also the no warranty option, fine if you can take a hit, which most of us on here can, but if it got to £10k plus say for a new engine, it would be a bit of an ouch moment. I suppose you could flog it for spares or to a breaker and get a bit of dosh back. Either way it could be expensive, but then that’s disaster planning for you.

So any recommendations or views please?
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

There are some posts on here regarding Ford having revised the V6 diesel before putting it in the F150 I believe. JLR would have benefited from this engine update as well, the question is when this filtered through to the Disco. Ford started using these engines in 2018, If only we knew from which engine number this update was.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Quote a big thread on RRS regarding this subject discussing info/options, if you've not already seen it...

https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic57451.html

HTH

Smile

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

And I started the same type of thread on the D4 forum. There isn’t much choice with the LR extended warranty the most expensive but just as likely to NOT cover the bits you need to be covered..

My LR warranty expires in May so will make up my mind by then.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

No, I’ve not looked at the RRS forum tbh. I had read the D3/4 forum.

Al, am just a bit behind you re the need or otherwise of the warranty.

Part of me says take a chance and if it goes t*ts up take it on the chin. Meantime, keep the LR servicing at a main dealership up and hope for good will, but expect nothing.

Or if WD haven’t got back in the market, take the LR one and chalk the exorbitant cost down to life’s rich tapestry.

Despite a new main house build in the pre advanced stage, I’ve got another bit of land for a holiday home in the Outer Hebrides. I’d like to crack on with that meantime, so I could do without large chunks of money being spent on car repairs.

Decisions, decisions.
  • Jayd5
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Interesting discussion, in the UK we have the Consumer Rights act 2015. This states all products must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. If a fault develops after the first six months the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time you took ownership.

As some of the more common issues we see with these cars are well known and can be attributed to poor design or as in the case of the windscreen leaking, manufacturing defect. You have the right to request a repair even if outside the warranty period if you can prove the defect was there from manufacture. But key to this is your rights are against the retailer not the manufacturer, so if the dealer says sorry Landrover won’t approve the repair, say ok I expected that, when are you going to repair it?
    The next step would be the small claims court (up to a limit of £10000).
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

True and from memory, the dealership has to prove the fault wasn’t there at the time of purchase rather than the consumer prove it was.

That said, I can see dealerships taking a court case to the wire. I already had that with a rejection. It took me 3 months to sort and a lot of grief.

I can only imagine married couples having had a less acrimonious divorces than me trying to get a car rejected - yes, that bad! Their Solicitor was a total Censored but thankfully didn’t know the law as well as he thought he did.

Oh, scary muse of the day is that LLB students at Uni only have to get 40% to pass their degree. Medical Students only 50%. Oh, and to get into Medicine over 60% of the intake don’t have the minimum grades. Wink I could go on and have a bit of a rant and really shake your faith in a few professions, however.....
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

I've mentioned on here briefly before, but at the end of 2018 I sold my Sept 2015 RRS when it came to 3yrs old. This was purely because LR wouldn't commit to covering oil dilution or crank failure' in their extended warranty that I said I was prepared to buy. The dealer was fine with it, but they said that JLR HO had flat out refused so if they ever needed to claim they wouldn't be reimbursed, and with that in mind they would be unable to offer anything in sorting. So I walked away from the brand.

All I wanted at the time was written confirmation that these two issues would be covered should my car (which was only ever serviced by a main dealer) develop the problem.

IMO, it's risky with these engines and a 50:50 risk at best. These' no small/cheapish problem, the issues are costly if not covered.

Personally I'd use 'man maths' and tell myself the money I'd lose on a new car is only the money I'd spend on fixing a broken car. Win win! Laughing

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Laughing Thumbs Up

Fair point and as for the man maths, I think it’s official title is “delusional maths”. Rolling with laughter
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Windy Miller, you didn’t have another brand (Mini?) PHEV in the interim did you? You’re warranty story rings a bell from the RRS forums.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

I spent ages comparing and rejecting various warranties, came down to 2 in the end, warrantywise and Landover's own I eventually went with LR as it had no £ limit on repairs as warrantywise did. I also concluded that IF a claim was made LR would be straightforwrd whereas WW required pre approval and proof.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    Windy Miller, you didn’t have another brand (Mini?) PHEV in the interim did you? You’re warranty story rings a bell from the RRS forums.

If my memory serves me correctly that person (Tim in Scotland?) got out of his around 6 months before I did. He had a similar experience with his dealer which prompted me to ask the question to mine before I made the plunge of getting a warranty that seemingly wouldn't cover my main reason for buying.

If it were not for the complete engine change by JLR in the new Disco I wouldn't be returning to the brand TBH.

Smile

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

There another warranty company www.myautomotionwarranty.co.uk

They are £420 for the year, no excess, up to value of vehicle. AA cover included. Looked at the T&Cs, but not in detail.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Thanks Windy Miller! Tim in Scotland - that was the guy. Remember his posts well, it was around the time that I was considering a RRS.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Is that myauto product an insurance backed scheme or discretionary like motoreasy

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum