Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Whippetman
    England 

Well I’m off..definitely

I’ve been a strong supporter of the LR brand but really have decided that I’m done now.
    Just can’t put up with the risk of a 3 year old and paying £100 per month LR warranty plus 450 plus tax plus £750 insurance.
    In and out of Stealer for problems and waiting 3 /4 weeks to get sorted with no loaner available then having to be rebooked because lack of parts it just goes on and on......
    Shame
    Looking 5 series Touring or something different definitely not hybrid yet Tesla but I need room for dogs.
    Any other suggestions?

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

One of the Volvo XC’s?, Audi Q series?

Last edited by Darras on 10th Feb 2021 10:07 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • Whippetman
    England 

Hate Audi
    Tried Volvo but either too big or too small..XC90-XC60
    Love ivory interiors hate hybrids until 100 plus miles and in estate versions
    Don’t want KIA etc
    So BM 5 Touring looking good.......

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

X5?

Highlander hybrid would be my choice. Not that I’ve sat in one or driven one yet.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

Re: Well I’m off..definitely

Whippetman wrote:
    .. the risk of a 3 year old and paying £100 per month LR warranty plus 450 plus tax plus £750 insurance.

I don't get it..

- its either risk or paying LR warranty ;
    - £450 plus tax .. ... is not JLR to blame, but how the majority voted, and the same for any car this size;
    - £750 insurance.. .. .. as above; the same for any car this size/value..

But I completely understand your anger about the problems that don't get sorted. And not getting a loaner, is depending on your choice of stealer..

Parts are a problem now all over the world. Try to get a simple Land Rover branded bodywarmer ; impossible.. ..delivery date unknown.

And before you switch to BMW or Volvo : I have been there and first visited those forums to discover its all the same all over again !! Its the business as a hole that oozes these problems.
    Just look at my name: I started on this forum before I bought a 2018 SD4 HSE.. ..and I am happy.. Whistle

If you want to end it : buy a Toyota Landcruiser.. .. its breaks down almost never, but you'll be longing for your D5 within 6 months and will idealize it..

Maybe we should start a grieve counseling group for D5 owners, online..

A forum maybe, where we can seek relief and guidance... Mr. Green

Sóóó beautifull..

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Whippetman
    England 

Done

Done

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Will we be seeing you over on bimmerpost? Recommend the UK off-topic forum of F30post. Several G30/G31 owners hang out on there as well as the G30post board.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Good luck. Thumbs Up All any of us want is a car that goes when you turn the metaphorical key without any drama.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

hey Whippet, how long did you have the D5?

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Whippetman
    England 

24 months.
    Still have it but looking for right replacement.
    Difficulty being showrooms are closed😟

• 2B
    Netherlands 

Stay away from Volvo and BMW huge PHEV's . On paper they look very economical.

In reality they are heavy drinkers after the electricity runs out..

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Whippetman
    England 

Yes thanks
    Looking at estates 😀

• Labbix

If you want to end it : buy a Toyota Landcruiser.. .. its breaks down almost never, but you'll be longing for your D5 within 6 months and will idealize it..

Haha, can testify on that on, coming from a D4 and D5, now in Landcruiser and wish I had the Disco, not after 6 months, but after 6 minutes Wink , but in Tanzania that’s just not an option, very unfortunately...
    And for another car we have, a 70 series, we had to wait for 3 months for parts recently, and that’s Toyota in Toyota country... where almost every thing that has 4 wheels is a Toyota or rebranded Toyota Wink

Never knew Toyota had so many options in their portfolio, reliable but oh so boring...
    to make up for it we have an old freelander V6 as well, got it almost for free as the guy left the country and maybe unreliable, although it’s how you look at things, but at least fun to drive !
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Re: Well I’m off..definitely

Whippetman wrote:
    I’ve been a strong supporter of the LR brand but really have decided that I’m done now.
    Just can’t put up with the risk of a 3 year old and paying £100 per month LR warranty plus 450 plus tax plus £750 insurance.
    In and out of Stealer for problems and waiting 3 /4 weeks to get sorted with no loaner available then having to be rebooked because lack of parts it just goes on and on......
    Shame
    Looking 5 series Touring or something different definitely not hybrid yet Tesla but I need room for dogs.
    Any other suggestions?

Sorry to hear this - mine has been absolutely brilliant so far. Minor niggles aside and one RF module failure that was quickly and correctly fixed by my dealer - it's been as good as any car I've ever had, but my dealer experience has been above par as compared to many others.

Land Rover has a steep uphill climb on impressions of reliability because they're starting from such a deep hole. I believe they're placing more emphasis on service quality with their dealers, but understanding that dealers are franchises they have to do some arm twisting, and they can't address problem dealers if they don't know about the problems.

Personally I believe they need to more proactively address reliability impressions by being more vocal about engineering in quality from the start. Design, production, and service all must have a commitment to quality from the start that continues throughout those phases.
  • Whippetman
    England 

Good comment.
    I was quoted i “Whilst people still buy the products why should JLR worry about the problems”
    True or not I don’t know.
    Problem is with the warranty wave hitting dealers they don’t have the staff or facilities to cope.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum