Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Phil B
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Aruba

2017 MY CarPlay mind of its own

Dear All

Was lucky to get CarPlay retrofitted via SW update to my Apr 2017 D5 but is seems to have developed a mind of its own. Some days it launches, others it doesn’t. Some days I can stop for fuel happily using Waze on CarPlay and when I return to my vehicle to continue my journey cannot launch CarPlay at all. I’ve tried restarting the phone/the car, plugging in with the apps launched/without, etc - every possible combo but to no avail. It just seems random. Anyone else experienced this? Any ideas, good folk of the forum?

Phil

Mar 2017 HSE Luxury,
    Dynamic Pack - Aruba
  • HHCG1100
    Germany 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Same thing with my 2019 HSE, since the infotainment software update last May. It actually is annoying. They promised another update for October last year, but that still is not available. I was in contact with my dealer and with LR, nothing they can do, as they say, There are more crazy behaviours, actually. No sound on Waze and TomTom, the media source changes from Dab+ to Carplay with no reason, can be put back, but it took me months to find out why suddenly despite the radio still being on it had no sound anymore. Carplay also switches the phone loudspeaker system on and off with no reason, the OEM navigation does not allow to modify the sound level, and so on. It is a mess.

I think that in the USA they got an update in November. I read that on a different forum. Look here: https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-disc...a-109332/. But no mention of this in Europe. Censored

Christian

D4 SDV6 SE / 2014-09 / Corinthian Grey / sold.
    D5 SD6 HSE / 2019-08 / Carpathian Grey, Black Pack, Ebony.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Yep, I’ve had problems with CarPlay on the odd occasion I use it. Seems to work better if you manually pick it from source in the infotainment screen rather than let it do it automatically. I’ve certainly had it jam and done that and it will work, but as I said, I don’t really use it.
  • HHCG1100
    Germany 

Well I mostly use it for TomTom or Waze Navigation. 2 reasons: 1) in Germany the LR Navigation does not show speed cameras, 2) it does not allow to switch off or change the sound level. I hate it to be shouted at all the time with comments about how I should drive.
    So it kind of helps that Carplay does not offer any sound from the Carplay apps ... Rolling with laughter

• Phil B
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Aruba

Thanks, Christian - that's pretty bloody annoying. I was enticed to go and do a launch event at JLR Solihull for the new FFRR and have been telling my wife ever since that if I mention buying another JLR product, she is authorised to lock me up until I see sense. These little things are just so frustrating and ruin the user experience.

Mar 2017 HSE Luxury,
    Dynamic Pack - Aruba
  • HHCG1100
    Germany 

Yes correct. Sometimes I think I should have kept my 2014 D4. I sold that at 135 Tkm as I was nervous the engine might collapse, and other expensive things might require replacement. The D4 had an even much worse infotainment - with the advantage, kind of, that this was so bad that I never used it at all. The radio was working fine, the navigation was useless and on 1990 technology level, so I had an external on-the-windscreen TomTom which was a good solution. Not perfect, but it worked acceptably. This actually was less frustrating than the situation now where I use Carplay in the D5 - and get demotivated as soon as I use it.

Thumbs Up

Christian

Last edited by HHCG1100 on 20th Jan 2022 1:30 am. Edited 2 times in total

• Scottlw
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

HHCG1100 wrote:
    Same thing with my 2019 HSE, since the infotainment software update last May. It actually is annoying. They promised another update for October last year, but that still is not available. I was in contact with my dealer and with LR, nothing they can do, as they say, There are more crazy behaviours, actually. No sound on Waze and TomTom, the media source changes from Dab+ to Carplay with no reason, can be put back, but it took me months to find out why suddenly despite the radio still being on it had no sound anymore. Carplay also switches the phone loudspeaker system on and off with no reason, the OEM navigation does not allow to modify the sound level, and so on. It is a mess.

I think that in the USA they got an update in November. I read that on a different forum. Look here: https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-disc...a-109332/. But no mention of this in Europe. Censored

Christian

I had the same volume issue but an update that appeared mid december fixed the no sound from TomTom.
  • HHCG1100
    Germany 

Oh really? Where did you get that? My car tells me "software up to date", last tested yesterday - and I have the promise from my dealer that they will call me as soon as they see some movement (but no call). Maybe I should give them another reminder ... ? Thanks anyway!
    Thumbs Up

• Scottlw
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

It just came up on the car that an update was available. I will check what the new version number is once the car is here. I did keep getting "no update available" when i questioned the dealers it needed a whole new module or something similar.

Last edited by Scottlw on 20th Jan 2022 8:51 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • HHCG1100
    Germany 

Thanks, good info. I just sent them an email. Will report here, if and as info becomes available.

• HHCG1100
    Germany 

Wow. My LR dealer came back to me after having received my email. He confirmed that there is an infotainment software update available now. He said he has moved my car up in the waiting queue, and he thinks that it should automatically find the update around 11:00 today.

So I will try to update around lunchtime, and I will report again then.

Question Shocked Idea Exclamation

Christian

• HHCG1100
    Germany 

Update found and done. That clearly means that LR dealers can influence the time (waiting queue position) for the car to update infotainment software. Good to know. Thanks again for the info, scottlw. Very helpful.
    Thumbs Up

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

To be honest, I’ve had this update since November last year. My car is on auto updates. It’s got nothing to do with the dealership queue jumping you. Sorry, but if they said that, they are blowing the preverbal smoke up your rear end.

• HHCG1100
    Germany 

Well, yesterday evening I checked and there was no update available. At 08:00 pm I emailed to the dealer, got an answer this morning 08:00 am, saying he has moved the car up in the waiting queue, he expects the car should find the update from around 10:00 am on. I started the engine at 12:30, the car found the update by itself, and on we went. To me that seems to say quite clearly that he did move the car position. Would be very unlikely that this happens by chance in the way it did happen. Looking at your update date, my car has been in this queue for not less than 6 or 7 weeks. And then, just by chance, it gets an update one hour later than the dealer said it would get it? Can't believe this is what happened. ... this at least is my understanding.

Last edited by HHCG1100 on 20th Jan 2022 2:51 pm. Edited 1 time in total

• HHCG1100
    Germany 

Sorry for the German language - here is the email.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum