Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• gavsta

I really like the modern Defender.

From the side-aspect, the 90 looks spot-on, whereas the 110 looks stretched, and slightly out of proportion. The mind boggles, wondering how the 130 will look.

I appreciate my comments are purely subjective, but I cannot get the American school bus, and it's exaggerated overhangs out of my head.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

mordred1973 wrote:
    The biggest issue with the Defender 130 is literally in the word BIG. It is so long that it will not fit in any UK parking spaces and still isn't as roomy inside as a D5.

If JLR do rely on that as their replacement they'll lose a lot of Discovery sales, since its too big, going to be thousands more (since Defender 110 is on a par price wise with Discovery) and doesn't offer the luxury the Discovery owners were used to.

A Q7, X7, GLS owner, would consider a Discovery, they wouldn't consider a Defender.

They have already lost a lot of Disco sales and its become the Cinderella of the JLR stable. Its the vehicle with the longest wait time to delivery but not because of its popularity. Its just not profitable to produce and they would rather use their precious semi conductors in more lucrative directions.. Who 10 yrs years ago would have ever foreseen the Defender being more sought after than the Discovery . Most Defender drivers aspired to drive a Discovery Rolling with laughter long gone that one.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I don’t personally like the new Defender. It’s small & trashy, the lights are weird and as for the stupid side panniers.

I won’t buy one, but then I won’t be buying anything else from JLR either. The Disco is okay, but I won’t replace it with another and there’s nothing else they produce that would suit.

There’s plenty of other vehicle makes to consider when the time comes.
  • Whippetman
    England 

Too true chum

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

mordred1973 wrote:
    The biggest issue with the Defender 130 is literally in the word BIG. It is so long that it will not fit in any UK parking spaces and still isn't as roomy inside as a D5.

If JLR do rely on that as their replacement they'll lose a lot of Discovery sales, since its too big, going to be thousands more (since Defender 110 is on a par price wise with Discovery) and doesn't offer the luxury the Discovery owners were used to.

A Q7, X7, GLS owner, would consider a Discovery, they wouldn't consider a Defender.

Rumor has it the 130 will be pushing $100k - at which point it's a bargain Range Rover. If the 3rd row is as spacious as the new Rangie from a legroom perspective, it will take sales away from Cadillac, Audi, BMW, and Merc buyers here in the US who want a more rugged appearance and the idea, at least, of capability vs a soft-road lifted crossover, which is what the others are.
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Darras wrote:
    I don’t personally like the new Defender. It’s small & trashy, the lights are weird and as for the stupid side panniers.

I like it. The 110's not small, and certainly not trashy, but a smart desirable vehicle. No comment on the panniers though. Proportionally the 90 looks good, but probably very much a single bloke/young couple car as opposed to family vehicle. I think most of the design is pretty clever, although maybe a hatch is more practical than the rear door. Was in one recently and very impressed.

Still feeling the love for my Discovery after two years, and no plans to change it yet, but Defender, Disco and RR Sport will all be on the short list when I do.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Not the way I see it, but each to their own, it would be a funny old world if we all thought alike. Thumbs Up
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum