Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Craigp
    England 

New section required soon. Disco 6

• Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Not sure there will be a six!!!! Defender 130 with three rows of seats have been spotted in disguise.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

I was given to understand there was never going to be a Discovery EV option. That sort of smacks of …the end of the line for the Discovery.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

The Land Rover customer focus group is doing some research that indicates there will be another Discovery - but not clear as to its source of motivation or features vs. a Defender.

Have seen some speculation that the traditional Discovery and Defender niches will switch - Disco going more rugged/downmarket and Defender becoming the LR halo off-roader, with Range Rover being the all-electric luxury option that remains for the country club / pheasant hunt set.

With the success of Rivian here in the US, I can see pressure for a more versatile long-range EV SUV with real off-road/overland capabilities that is different than the Defender's more pure off-road chops.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

The D5 project was only used as a stop gap as the Defender had been delayed coming forward . Very little was spent on drive train development with that. LR have had it in for the Disco for years ,its been their Cinderella vehicle for ages . We were told for a long time that the D4 would not be replaced.
    I think having a defender with three rows of seats sort of makes the 7 seat ability of the discovery obsolete as a need to justify their existence.
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

With a 7 Seat Defender and a 7 Seat Range Rover I struggle to imagine a business case in the current times supporting investment in a replatformed Discovery.

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

Evoque
    Defender
    Discovery
    Discovery sport
    Velar
    Range Rover
    Range Rover Sport

Seems to me this is too big a range and too much overlapping. And brand confusion between LR and RR. Why is the Evoque a RR and the Discovery is a LR?

Plus the weirdity of the Discovery Sport which is not in any way related to the Discovery (which shares its running gear wuth the RR and the RR Sport) and is more like a successor to the Freelander
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

The last direct communication I heard from LR executives through their customer engagement forum is that the Land Rover brand is committed to these product lines:

Defender - Capability + Durability
    Discovery - Capability + Versatility
    Range Rover - Luxury + Capability

The order of each of the words is important. The question was left unanswered about what that meant for sub-models - e.g., Discovery Sport, Range Rover Sport, Velar, Evoque, etc

The RRS is still a strong seller worldwide, so it's safe. But I do believe LR sliced things a bit too thin with the Defender and Discovery...all of their mid-sized models took a hit when it came out.

• Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

the only one likely to hold a place will be the discovery sport as the platform leads itself to EV . No EV project running on the Discovery right now or likely too. This day was coming a long way out as anybody could see the Defender and Discovery would be competing on the same pitch. Maybe for discovery sport read baby defender!!!!! Rolling with laughter
  • Craigp
    England 

Maybe a day late but quite fancy this

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/supercars...sports-car
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

And someone gets paid to write that steaming heap of Censored unbelievable.
  • B McP
    Scotland 
    2020 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Just look at the date .............. Laughing Perhaps that has something to do with the web posting.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Scanned it, never bothered looking at the date. Great joke? not really.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Popsdosh wrote:
    the only one likely to hold a place will be the discovery sport as the platform leads itself to EV . No EV project running on the Discovery right now or likely too. This day was coming a long way out as anybody could see the Defender and Discovery would be competing on the same pitch. Maybe for discovery sport read baby defender!!!!! Rolling with laughter

I think the Range Rover sub-brand will go electric with Jaguar first. Defender, and if it survives, Discovery, won't go fully electric until Overland range can be attained.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

The biggest issue with the Defender 130 is literally in the word BIG. It is so long that it will not fit in any UK parking spaces and still isn't as roomy inside as a D5.

If JLR do rely on that as their replacement they'll lose a lot of Discovery sales, since its too big, going to be thousands more (since Defender 110 is on a par price wise with Discovery) and doesn't offer the luxury the Discovery owners were used to.

A Q7, X7, GLS owner, would consider a Discovery, they wouldn't consider a Defender.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum