Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• JBFUK
    United Kingdom 

Driver steering assist with a bike rack?

Recently noticed when I have the tow ball mounted bike rack on the car, steering assist is disabled.

I understand that some things don't work with a trailer etc attached - like blind spot monitoring, understandably because the sensors are blocked - but I don't believe steering assist uses that I think it's all based on the forward facing cameras which detect the road markings and keep you centred.

I'm presuming this is not a bug and others have the same limitation? Probably due to concerns about its use while towing and possible 'tank slappers' triggered by automated steering inputs?

Any way around this? The only thing I can think of is unplugging the bike carrier from the tow-bar electrics so it doesn't sense that I'm 'towing'. I don't think that would go down too well with French highway police as the bike rack would then be un-lit...

It's a real shame, I've been looking forward to taking our bikes on holiday this year but steering assist is essential on a 14h+ drive.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Is it an EU 13pin trailer connection or the 7pin ?

Just wondering if wiring that’s geared for caravan towing has different pin assignments for functions you don’t need that are interfering ?
  • Loz
    United Kingdom 

Unfortunately, LR has neglected to add a non-trailer type profile.
    So you will also get a speed warning with a bike rack added.

2023 Dynamic-R Metropolitan Edition D300MHEV
  • BBDisco5
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Re: Driver steering assist with a bike rack?

JBFUK wrote:
    Recently noticed when I have the tow ball mounted bike rack on the car, steering assist is disabled.

I'm presuming this is not a bug and others have the same limitation? Probably due to concerns about its use while towing and possible 'tank slappers' triggered by automated steering inputs?

Both my 2020 & current 2023 model had factory fitted electrically deployed tow hitch and it is only the blind spot monitoring which is deactivated on mine when a cycle rack is attached.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

On both D5s that I've had, Lane Keep Assist and Emergency Lane Keep Assist still work as normal with a trailer attached.

However, there used to be an option on earlier D5s for "steering assist" which was almost an autopilot to keep the vehicle in the centre of the lane. The instruction manual contains this warning:

Click image to enlarge

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum