Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

3,300-mile European road trip complete & love this car!!

Just back from an epic 3,283 mile road trip over 16 days, four-up in our MY23.5 D5. Including 246 tunnels (my 8yo daughter counted), and 10 IKEA'S too (driven by, not visited!)...

Avg speed was 57mph, and fuel economy 32.9mpg.

Cemented my love for the car once again, it's a fantastic machine. We'd had an engine warning light back in April driving home from the Outer Hebrides. LRA had cleared the fault in my driveway, believing it to be an air flow sensor malfunction. But I serviced the car a fortnight before our Italian trip (at 13k miles - the dealer queried it saying I was a year early - but I like the reassurance of an annual service, especially before a long journey). I asked them to replace the airflow sensor as a precaution. They did, but also found an EGR leak (or something that sounded like that) - keeping the car for three days for the fix, and something about it being a big repair job and the car off the subframe (I don't know - didn't understand - but pleased it got fixed before we went away)!!!

We took the Eurotunnel and overnighted in Lucerne, Switzerland, then the second night in Pescara on the east coast of Italy, before arriving in Puglia for 2pm on day 3. Stayed 9 nights, and headed as far south as the very bottom of the 'heel' - as far as a beautiful place we'd been to before called Santa Maria di Leuca. Then did two nights in Pompeii, two in Pisa, one in Chamonix and home.

At our Trulli in Puglia:

This was the first time using the new Click & Go iPad mounts purchased from another member last month. On receiving them, realised Land Rover did NOT sell the actual ipad sleeves/holders for the particular models/size of iPad we have. So purchased two very cheap & slim rubber sleeves from Amazon, and they hold it perfectly in the Click & Go system (and way cheaper than what LR sell for certain models). Result! Idea

Also first trip using the new Load Partition Net I bought, and it was great. Could load the boot to the roof, and nothing fell through and hit the kids! Thumbs Up

Also my first trip with the Blackvue 770X dashcam. Didn't "need" it, but nice to know we had it. Cool

Car performed faultlessly throughout the journey - such a wonderful cruiser, even fully laden with a LOT of luggage.

Only irritation of the entire trip was a van nudging my passenger wingmirror in a very tight street (it folded in as it should, but there's a slight mark which I need to try and polish out). That and we got ourselves into some TINY streets in Gagliano del Capo which were so tight between houses either side the wing mirrors had to come in just to fit, at which point I 'lost' my cameras, and none of us could even open a door to check. Truly terrifying, and I can't believe we actually got "through". My pulse has never been so high! I literally thought we were about to get wedged stuck.

That aside, I do love a road trip.... in an amazing car. Not so keen on how close Italians like to follow on the motorways, but all was good in the end!

Some more pics:

Got some help with the driving:

Went to Zoofari in Puglia, which was simply incredible. Put any zoo I've been to in the UK to shame, for how good it was... Not everyday you see these animals in the wing mirror, either! Thankfully he kept far enough away from the paintwork... although one side of the car was covered in giraffe slobber...

Parked right down by the sea in Puglia, ready for some sea swimming:

Always fun finding a parking space you're happy with in a foreign city:

Chose a hotel in Pisa specifically for its underground secure car park... which was tight!

I did valet the car upon arrival, as the windows were SO filthy. But normal order restored today thanks to this amazing team, mini valet for £50. And spotless again.

Last edited by 747_JK on 21st Jul 2024 5:15 pm. Edited 1 time in total

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • sudds
    United Kingdom 

Looks like you had a great time, glad it all went well, sure a bit of buffing and the mirror will be fine. Sounds like you had to breath in when going through the streets of Gagliano del Capo, squeaky bum time Very Happy

Its great how these cars eat up the miles with ease and in comfort. Pleased you are still loving it Thumbs Up
  • laf
    United Kingdom 
    2020 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Farallon Black

Wow that looks a fantastic trip and what a great vehicle you did it in. Amazing memories 👍
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Good to hear you are getting on well with your Metro. Sounds like you are getting good mpg as well.
    I am impressed with the mpg on mine, still semi running in I am averaging 36 mpg.

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Thanks everyone - wish I'd realised there was an Eco mode before the trip, and I'd have given it a go!

Just waiting for the Bip & Go toll bill to arrive, and that won't be pleasant reading... I'm expecting it'll be about £250 - 300.

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum