Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

There is no plastic under tray, it is a large piece of metal.
    Surely if there had been that much smoke and smell he should have been able to see or smell somthing?

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Hi Russell, he said the tray underneath was removed. Am sure he said plastic, or was he possibly referring too the top plastic cover being taken off, (engine cover) as well ?? I will ask him tomorrow, to clarify.

He never smelt or visually seen anything which surprised me, as on Wednesday afternoon when it went into the garage, the guy loading it onto the transporter said, that's a strong burning smell inside and said the same when he was ratcheting the front passenger wheel that he can smell the burning. He even told the person in the garage, who was dealing with it that there is a strong burning smell Shocked

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 22nd Apr 2017 11:38 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • max099
    Austria 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

That's kinda strange... well, maybe it was just some leftovers from the production line that touched some hot parts of the engine... just saying. Rolling Eyes

D3 - MY 2008 (gone)
    RRS - MY 2010 (gone)
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Just an afterthought Russell, could there possibly be a plastic tray under the metal one that he was maybe referring too, which the metal one protects, like a kind of skid plate? Rolling Eyes
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

max099 wrote:
    That's kinda strange... well, maybe it was just some leftovers from the production line that touched some hot parts of the engine... just saying. Rolling Eyes

Well thats what I initially thought, like packaging etc. But surely thus would have been picked up on installation? Mind you plastic when burns produces black toxic smoke usually, but this was like light grey/ white smoke, with an acrid smell. Could possibly be an internal component that you can't visually see by the naked eye that self combusted or shorted out, hence why the mechanic can't see it?? Rolling Eyes
  • bullova06
    United Kingdom 

What happens next ?

Do the dealers have to work it out for themselves or does the vehicle go back to LR ?
    Dealers realistically haven't the technical knowhow / experience on such a new product - as yet but they'll be getting there.
    LR have the knowledge & They need the data to work out what's wrong what to do, which in all probability could be a recall.
    If it were the dealer fix option I'd be rejecting. Even if the eventual replacement wasn't the 1st edition.
    I'm really sorry for those with clearly defective vehicles.

In the thread - The mention here of the FFRR having less roll....from my few drives if a FFRR this was far greater than my D3 ?
    Disco 5 Do they roll ?

"time on my hand"
  • max099
    Austria 

Quote:
    In the thread - The mention here of the FFRR having less roll....from my few drives if a FFRR this was far greater than my D3 ?
    Disco 5 Do they roll

In my experience the D5 has less roll compared to the L405. It sits much better on the street without sacrificing any comfort.

D3 - MY 2008 (gone)
    RRS - MY 2010 (gone)
  • winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

Did you get your's already? Thought it wasn't arriving until June.
  • max099
    Austria 

No, not mine yet. It was a tester.

D3 - MY 2008 (gone)
    RRS - MY 2010 (gone)
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    Just an afterthought Russell, could there possibly be a plastic tray under the metal one that he was maybe referring too, which the metal one protects, like a kind of skid plate? Rolling Eyes

Have had the metal one off and there is not another underneath

Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    Nope arrived today with local dealer at 1pm but not heard anything.

I doubt they had time too look at it as several others in the queue before mine. Crying or Very sad

Got a FFRR 4.4 litre loan today with a deployable tow bar. It's pretty rapid for such a big beast. Well impressed and alot less body roll than the D5, especially in the corners.

Coincidentally the guy picking it up said his boss has the exact same car as mine, black first edition which is also knackered, and in the garage. He also has had callouts from several D5 owners Shocked

He also said there's a strong burning smell when securing it onto the tow truck. Started too smoke again when I was loading it onto the transporter. The guy shook his head and said if that was his car he would reject it. Rolling Eyes

Less body roll than the D5, think you need to take yours back as mine feels and sits far better than the FFRR's I have driven and they all had far more body roll the my D5

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Seems like I have a lemon then ffs Sad

Mind you I have noticed more road noise from the 22s than the 20s, plus it could be the roof rails also making some noise.

The 3l engine seems a bit noisier than the demo 3l I drove, but possibly due too the fact my engines not been run in yet.

Not had a chance too take it out yet on a country road, plus only 250 miles on the clock so it's not even bedded in. Will take it out once it's been run in and report if the body roll is different.

Sorry, it was the 2 litre on 20s (255) profile that I had as a courtesy car, on a country road which I was comparing it too. Not my car.

Plus the RR was on 20 inch tyres also

Also as the First Edition has a wider profile (285) tyre and is 22 inches, so the wheels are heavier and wider, so it most probably holds the road alot better. Plus the 3 litre is a heavier car than the 2 litre so that could well make a difference, relating too the handling. Time will tell once I have run it in and take it onto a country road, but am pretty confident that those 2 factors will make a significant difference, not too mention what ride hide setting is selected beforehand Thumbs Up

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 24th Apr 2017 8:10 am. Edited 2 times in total
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Well decided too wash the car today. Used snow foam just too rinse off the dirt. Then powerwashed the foam off. Never used a lambs mitt either like I usually do, as car was only lightly soiled, plus sponges are a definite no no due too causing swirl marks.

Unfortunately, I have noticed that there is a ding in the roof which I never saw when I initially picked it up. I did take a quick look too see if the roof area wasn't scratched upon pick up, which it wasn't. So annoyed now. This would have been picked up at the factory if it was spotted so it looks like was done after the PDI was carried out.

Very coincidental that it's just where the roof rails are sitting. Seems like the person who was fitting the rails has dropped the point of the screwdriver onto the edge of the roof or it slipped and resulted in a dent Sad Censored

Secondly there is a deep mark on the front bumper about 1 inch long, as if a screwdriver has slipped, but nothing was fitted too the front of the car?? It's marked just where the vertical dummy intakes are, in the recess itself. It's quite high up but almost hidden under the lip so you have too be bending down too notice it. Obviously I missed that also as I was not crawling round on all fours when I was inspecting it. Censored

Thirdly the front drivers mudflap was not properly fitted. Had too reclip all 3/4 of the clips into place before they snapped shut. Was a 4 mm gap, plus I payed for them too be fitted. Mind you they forget too put the rear flaps on, and it was only when I rang too tell them they were missing after seeing the video presentation, that they found them dropped behind a cupboard. Surely someone must have questioned why only 2 flaps were put on as I ordered 4 and dropped them off personally Shocked

Fourthly there us alot of light scratches all around the car. When picked up initially was swirl marks just where the door side protectors were fitted, plus another on the same side on the passenger wing. Had to wait 30 mins until took car back into workshop too rectify the problem. Seems the snow foam has taken off the polish as now the inital mark on the front wing is visible again. Hence all around the car is marked. Looks like the person who polished it has accidently rubbed their dirty boiler suit over the body work and if they have been working on the floor, any grit etc will have transferred onto the bodywork if that's what's happened. Possibly people just walking too close too it brushing against it as most of the scratches are horizontal.Censored Censored

Fifthly, I decided too put the car up on the ramp and inspect the tow bar and side step fittings. The rear black panel where the tow eye cover is fitted is missing 2 grommets, one on each side. It's also alternative grommets, as one side has outer missing and another the inner one missing. Definatelty should be 4 grommets.

Lastly, I was about too take the quad bike out on the smaller trailer. I requested that I need a trailer plate in the mean time until the private reg plates go on. Was just about too attach it and my eldest noticed that they botched up the number plate as wrong registration was on it. Lucky it was noticed as I was oblivious too the fact. Could have been 3 points and £100 quid fine potentially I think. Censored

Not a happy chappy I can assure you Censored
  • bullova06
    United Kingdom 

Road runner

Read your honest words.....well said
    It's annoying maybe even gutting when dealers
    don't take care, the grommets
    missing them is plain careless
    The marks I'd try Meguairs ultimate compound, not into pampering on the Disco
    some posts on D3 said it was subtle on lacquered stuff
    I've tried it on the missus' s car a daft mid red colour shows everything tried it & it is good .

"time on my hand"
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Yes careless is an understatement, as payed too get accessories fitted and ended up with a damaged car, as well as scratched body panels and half finished jobs like missing grommets ffs Sad

Plus how the hell can you get the spare number plate wrong???? Dealer has all the registration documents.

Not even attempting too polish the scratches out as I want the garage too see for themselves the paint issues. How it passed the PDI is beyond me or did they just sneakily try to polish them out Sad

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 24th Apr 2017 9:17 pm. Edited 2 times in total
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum