Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• RyanRC
    United States 

Disable fuel save engine shuts down at stops?

Hello all

I'm not really sure if this is something that happens in Europe or other places this truck is sold, but I have been seeing some American reviews of the truck here now and I guess it has that thing where most times at a complete stop the engine shuts off, then starts again once you take your foot off the brake for the reason I guess is to save fuel.

So if this is something you guys have too, does anyone know if there is a option in the configurations to disable that?

I actually had a loaner car about two months ago that did this and found it to be very unsettling.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Ryan there is a switch next to the Vehicle Height Settings, so you can disable the feature. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 16th May 2017 12:18 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • J77
    Scotland 

Just remember you have to do it every time you restart the vehicle.

Gentle pressure on the brake pedal stops it from cutting out.

Thumbs Up

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Sorry i forgot to mention the Every Time bit Thumbs Up
  • Tim in Scotland
    United Kingdom 

If you want to use it properly in city driving then you should brake the car to a halt, wait for the engine to stop, engage the EPB, shift into N and the engine will stay stopped and not dazzle the driver behind with the high level brake light. To restart push down the footbrake, engage D then ease off the gas pedal and it will start up again. The system will not work if the engine load is too high like when running seat heaters and heated steering wheel or the engine is not up to temperature or when the external temperature is below 5c IIRC. It is brilliant and now I'm used to it use it all the time, when I first read about my first thought was that it would immediately be disabled. I also find it easier to use on the L494 RRS with a proper "stick" type auto shifter than I did on my 2 Evoques that had the rotary shifter.
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

After a while you wont notice, I used to turn it off every time but now I just go with it.

FYI the slightest release in pressure on the brake pedal and the engine will re-start and continue to run until the next time you come to a halt.
  • Scrumps
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Firenze Red

Hi,

If you set the option for the paddles to work in 'D' & 'S', just select a gear when you come to a stop and it won't shutdown, hold the 'up' shift(+) for a few seconds as you move off and it goes back to auto.

Scrumps.

Somerset - Where the apples do grow and the cider do flow!
    17MY D5 HSE / 16MY RRS2 A/B / 05 Defender90 CSW
  • RyanRC
    United States 

Wow, thanks guys for all the replies.

In the end sounds like there is not way at least by the ways from the factory to completely turn it off.

But thanks for all the other input.
  • RyanRC
    United States 

Hello all

I have been thinking about this for a little bit and it may be a oversimplified question or thought that it could be this simple...but if this is just kind of N/O or N/C switch, has anyone tried to just jump it out?

Am thinking they may have done something tamper proof to it so would not be possible or that simple, but then again...perhaps its just that easy.
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

From memory it is a momentary switch so trying to short it won't work, you would need something that did a delayed closure after startup and then opened again. The stop start makes a big difference to the emissions measurement and compliance (at least to the test regime if not the real world) so I am pretty sure they have to make it reasonably tamper proof.

It is so seamless I really wouldn't worry about it, the earlier iterations were clunky but I don't even notice it anymore.
  • RyanRC
    United States 

Does the switch have the name ATMOS on it?

If it does I know someone who knows how to disable that.
  • Tim in Scotland
    United Kingdom 

A button with ATMOS on it sounds more like it is something to do with the ventilation/ recirc system.
  • RyanRC
    United States 

Actually it stands for "Atmospheric Omission System" and its products are supposed to be related to lowering your emissions.

Although its true purpose is another story.
  • Martin
    Site Admin and Owner
    United Kingdom 

Euro and US cars are likely to have different emissions equipment and software.

06 D3 SE / 15 D90 XS SW / 88 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 TI
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

RyanRC wrote:
    Does the switch have the name ATMOS on it?

If it does I know someone who knows how to disable that.

Thumbs Up Laughing

Over their heads, I think!

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum