Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• lemme
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Loire Blue

Hybrid Disco????

now that Land Rover have announced Hybrid Power plants for the RR & RRS, i wonder how long before this arrives in the Disco...
  • J77
    Scotland 

It will definitely be here before 2020, that’s LRs own deadline for all models to have some form of hybrid option.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • lemme
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Loire Blue

that's what i was worried about... i've just placed an order for a HSE Lux (MY18) and waiting for a build slot from LR. SWMBO is now worried about the diesel engine (2.0) i have spec'd... she's clearly been reading too much re: anti-diesel. Does she though, have a point?... as the scare tactics increase, will the residual value decrease?

i've priced up difference between petrol and diesel... and based on the published MPG figures works out around £140p/m difference, not a lot in grand scheme of things.

Once i have the figures back from LR re: the 3.0 Petrol option... i should be able to work out the impact of 4 years (and longer if I ultimately keep the car)

ps. not interested in the 2.0 petrol... you don't appear to be able to spec the locking diff and/or the tow assist. Now whilst i'm not intending to go full off-roading, or tow caravans... it's nice to know i can.

pps. all of the above disappears if the hybrid is an option for the Disco
  • J77
    Scotland 

I wouldn’t imagine it would be too far away, but they have got the SVX up next so may preview along side that.

• oop north
    United Kingdom 

Also worth noting that the hybrid option in RRSport seems to mean you cannot tow, have a full size spare or the third row of seats. Don't know what of those would be lost on the D5 - I'd be surprised if all of them but also surprised if none, depending on where they shove the batteries...
  • J77
    Scotland 

You can tow with it, just can’t have electrically deployable towbar, that’s all the brochure says. Also advanced tow assist available as £180 option.

• ken
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Montalcino Red

FFRR (L405) PHEV no DTB Fixed available however compromised to 2.5t (good job I have the

Bowler) Wink

That said no RTB for the SVX either Rolling with laughter
  • fisherman
    United Kingdom 

oop north wrote:
    Also worth noting that the hybrid option in RRSport seems to mean you cannot tow, have a full size spare or the third row of seats. Don't know what of those would be lost on the D5 - I'd be surprised if all of them but also surprised if none, depending on where they shove the batteries...

Isn't there space in the boot floor. I think the D5 would have been designed some time ago to be a PHEV and the space used may preclude the use of a a DTB on the RRS but not a detachable one. There is a limit of 2500kg on the RRS too due to the weight of the batteries and of course a reduced noseweight from 350kg to 195kg or 150kg, I think, due also to the battery weight. I can't see the seats being removed as that's a huge selling point so I would guess at the reduced section spare.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I think that space is where the 3rd row folds if you have it. I didn't order the 3rd row, so I have a nice, big storage area there. So it might be reasonable to expect the loss of the 3rd row, some storage, and the full-sized spare in the Disco.

A hybrid likely also means a smaller engine and smaller fuel tank. If it's a PHEV then IMO one could be left with an underpowered engine trying to motivate a heavy SUV when the charge runs down, not a pleasant thought in an offroad situation deep in the wilderness. The battery compartment will also require heavy armoring and sealing against water to allow the same level of off-roading as a pure ICE Disco, further increasing the weight and potentially affecting balance and COG.

Perhaps a good idea for those who want a high street/mall crawler/school run/soccer (erm, "football") mom vehicle, but those who want to use them as God and Maurice Wilks intended, pure ICE is the way to go for a while.
  • ken
    United Kingdom 

That's not how a PHEV works

Not once have I been in a situation were the PHEV has no charge left and anyhow JLR uses a 300hp 2.0 lump which is available anyhow Thumbs Up
  • oop north
    United Kingdom 

I guess we’ll have to see what the compromises are for a phev. Not sure I would want one (prefer full electric but goodness knows when that will happen on a LR) but I want 7 seats, I want a full size spare (don’t intend driving 400 miles home from France on a Saturday on a space saver again) and want to be able to tow. Tesla X is the only full leccy alternative but every time I see the price my first thought is “I could have a Range Rover for that”

I think the leccy range of 20-odd miles would often be enough - yesterday I did 65 miles without going further than 8 miles from home, and I have a home charger already (bmw i3) and today will be 30 miles with no one trip more than 7 miles from home
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Quote:
    I want 7 seats, I want a full size spare (don’t intend driving 400 miles home from France on a Saturday on a space saver again) and want to be able to tow.

You want a full electric with that lot?? Shocked

I think you'll be waiting decades, not months - with any manufacturer.

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • oop north
    United Kingdom 

That is already all achievable with a Tesla model X (albeit for a hideous amount of money), so I don't know why I would have to wait decades for it
  • ken
    United Kingdom 

I believe the X is limited to circa 2t and feed back is range is dramatically reduced

FSS have a massive CO2 impact so be thankful you have a Space saver not an inflation kit Rolling with laughter
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

It can carry 7 people 400 miles while towing a trailer? I’m impressed.

If only Tesla could make a profit then all the other manufacturers would be doing them too.

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum