Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

This seems to be an issue for lots of owners

Can’t you reject the car if they fail to fix this on the third attempt?

Also, I hear that the marketing literature was changed and includes a mention on driving style - does any on know when this happened
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Mines dropping like a stone.

9400 on Sat. Down from 16000 miles in a week.

Car hasn’t moved since this afternoon when I drove 8 miles. Out of curiosity I checked the service due.

Drove 8 miles home.

This isn’t looking good at all. If it’s dropping like that at a rate of 500 miles off every 16 miles driven it’s going to need servicing in 160 miles, and I thought losing 6K miles in a week was bad. Supposed to be driving to Scotland for Easter, maybe I should book in for a service half way there and half way back down again,

Or should I just march into the dealers and hand them it back ? There’s no way I’m paying this much money for something that’s requiring a service at this rate, especially as the cheeky ........ had me stump up nearly a grand for a service plan that’s never going to get used.

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • Craigp
    England 

Pcheaven wrote:
    This seems to be an issue for lots of owners

Can’t you reject the car if they fail to fix this on the third attempt?

Also, I hear that the marketing literature was changed and includes a mention on driving style - does any on know when this happened

I picked mine up in April and looking at my manual it mentions driving style. and service intervals being reduced. But i think they are taking the Censored if they consider driving on uk roads in our climate can reduce a excepted milage of 10k + between oil changes to some reporting 4k.
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Where in manual does it mention that driving style reduces service interval. I found the section on arduous driving. No mention of short journeys
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

I've travelled the same 16 miles this morning and lost 800 miles off the service level indicator, I've phoned Customer Services to log my concerns.

Crying or Very sad

• DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

"Driving style" refers more to the length of trips, stop/go conditions and how heavy your right foot is. Combine short trips, stop/go driving, and a heavy right foot, and that's "extreme" for a diesel engine that requires lengthy regeneration cycles at a constant operating temp to keep the DPF clean. The more they're driven like this, the harder the active regeneration has to work and the more diesel dilution the engine will experience.

IMO, JLR should not be encouraging people who only intend to use them for around-town driving and school runs to buy diesels. They're highway engines and engines designed to work hard on the trail or towing.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

In Mine ive Conducted 5 Trips in 10 days ownwership.

13 miles on Clock at pick up.
    LR Dealership to home 98% Motorway 120 Miles.
    Home to place of Work Last monday, 155 Miles All Motorway
    Work to home on Friday 155 Miles.. All Motorway
    Home to Family & Back 16 Miles fast A roads
    Home to family & Back 16 Miles fast A roads.

No matter how hard it is driven, And i am driving Miss daisy BTW, there is NO WAY a 16 Mile journey should wipe almost 1,000 Miles off a service indicator, Interestingly the DEF indicator hasnt budged ?

• Craigp
    England 

Pcheaven wrote:
    Where in manual does it mention that driving style reduces service interval. I found the section on arduous driving. No mention of short journeys

• Nenad

DieselRanger wrote:
    "Driving style" refers more to the length of trips, stop/go conditions and how heavy your right foot is. Combine short trips, stop/go driving, and a heavy right foot, and that's "extreme" for a diesel engine that requires lengthy regeneration cycles at a constant operating temp to keep the DPF clean. The more they're driven like this, the harder the active regeneration has to work and the more diesel dilution the engine will experience.

IMO, JLR should not be encouraging people who only intend to use them for around-town driving and school runs to buy diesels. They're highway engines and engines designed to work hard on the trail or towing.

This is unacceptable. I've been driving diesels for 20 years now, no such issues.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

I've had Diesels since 1992. I dare say that if every manufacturer stated their engines were to be used specifically for Highway driving and Trail use they would have sold far fewer vehicles than they have.

If the engines are only capable of covering 5K miles without requiring attention they should have set the service interval as such and not sold them with the specific criteria of 16,000 miles that they have.

How many would have made the purchase knowing that they would need oil and filter every 5K Miles.

Its either an error with the manufacturing process, for whatever reason, Oil degradation, Filter incompatibility, DEF dilution, DPF regeneration.

OR it's a simple case of misselling ?

I'm not yet at 500 Miles and my service interval has dropped to 7400 miles. Had i been ploughing fields or towing an Artic trailer then i could fully understand the massive drop off in usage.

If it is this specific maybe we should have engine hour run timers instead of miles like agricultural vehicles do.

• J77
    Scotland 

So far I’ve yet to see this issue on the D240 Velar. Where the D5 3.0 it was constant.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Nenad wrote:
    DieselRanger wrote:

This is unacceptable. I've been driving diesels for 20 years now, no such issues.

Yes, but you have been driving diesels under a slowly tightening regulatory structure, plus one characterized most recently by malicious compliance, that has now resulted in the need for automakers who wish to continue to sell diesels without the risk of billions of dollars in fines to take extreme measures.

I hope someone is working on a better mousetrap and new synthetic oil formulations to reduce diesel emissions and extend oil service life, but until then, you're going to have to refill your adblue and change your oil more frequently if you want to drive a diesel.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

The question remains, why has the service interval reminder been set at 16,000 miles when most are only achieving 5K miles ?

Diesels are under the kosh at the moment but it appears that we the consumer are paying the price for what the manufacturer has produced. It’s a bit like purchasing a set of tyres in Autumn for winter use and then finding out that they were bald before the first snowfall. You expected to see 15K use but reality dictates they only lasted 5K Miles.

As I keep saying, my service level indicator has lost 8,500 miles whilst my vehs mileage is at 497.
    The Adblu level hasn’t dropped ?

• Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

My 18my V6d currently done 2500miles, oil service now due in 8650 miles, adblue range to empty 4225 miles, 8l required to refill. My Eu5 V6d D4 managed to go 16000 miles between services, so D5 is looking like needing at least 1 intermediate service doing exactly the same route and driving.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Bathchap

This issue seems so widespread I find it hard to believe that LRJ can continue to ignore it. Is there a legal challenge that says the product is not fit for purpose?
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum