Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Interestingly since my oil was last changed and service light re-set in July, most of my journeys have been long journeys on motorways.
    Down through France with caravan on back, 300 plus miles, same on way back, trip up north again about 300 mile sand back again plus several other 50/60 miles trips and loads of trips at about 20 miles
    So not what you would call lots of short stop start trips

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • hatjoepeg1
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

time for an argument!

Disco John wrote:
    hatjoepeg1, If you can bear the hassle, I would go into the dealer with the pdf referred to in this thread and use it to try and get a refund of the oil change charge, it is clearly the result of a design flaw and the logic/flow chard at the back does seem to imply that oil changes should be covered. As for the Ad Blue, I think they are just wrong at the dealers - you should be able to confirm this on the LR site - I was sold the service pack as definitely including any and all Ad Blue top ups.

Mileage now 14495 and ad blue is on again and service in 1650 miles

I have downoaded the service pdf and will be sending an email demanding a refund and booking in for the next service!

1986 90
    2017 D5
  • J77
    Scotland 

Mines all booked in for next Friday (6th Oct)

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

LR have suspended the fix for the service required issue to undertake further investigations. A new fix should be available no later than 6th November.

To clarify, what they are working on is a software update that will separate the oil dilution counter from the time and distance service counter allowing individual counter resets to be applied depending on the type of service completed.

This is not exclusive to the new Discovery, but is also affecting FFRR and RRS vehicles.

The cause appears to be linked to type and style of driving.

Hasn't happened to me yet, though the majority of my miles have been medium/long distance runs.
  • J77
    Scotland 

My dealer just got back to me yesterday, despite emailing them a week before Rolling Eyes

Unless they get back in touch I’ll take it in anyway.

I don’t do high mileage, but this is the only one out of the 7 DPF equipped LRs that’s had problems.

• Disco John
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Farallon Black

Don't accept 'Type and Style of Driving'

winger wrote:
    LR have suspended the fix for the service required issue to undertake further investigations. A new fix should be available no later than 6th November.

To clarify, what they are working on is a software update that will separate the oil dilution counter from the time and distance service counter allowing individual counter resets to be applied depending on the type of service completed.

This is not exclusive to the new Discovery, but is also affecting FFRR and RRS vehicles.

The cause appears to be linked to type and style of driving.

Hasn't happened to me yet, though the majority of my miles have been medium/long distance runs.

The cause according to the SCN is twofold: firstly, the duration of the regeneration cycle is now rather longer than for other engines, obviously this will mean that it is more likely that short journeys will interrupt the cycle - but the length of journeys is a constant across the customer base, what has changed is the design of the regeneration process that now requires such long regeneration cycles. Secondly, the admission by JLR that even when a regeneration has been successfully completed, a 'much' higher amount of post injection (of fuel) is required, which directly leads to increased fuel in oil dilution. So IMO it is a design issue, whatever it is that causes the long regen cycle either has to be changed or an alternative method of fuel injection (i.e. not post injection into the cylinder) needs to be implemented. It is unlikely to be a software fix. Rolling Eyes
  • Craigp
    England 

Please refresh my memory

Does this apply to both engines 2litre & 3litre.
  • Disco John
    United Kingdom 

Craig, the SCN, by my reading, seems to refer to the 3.0L only. There is reference to 2.0L engines on RRS and DS but I assume these are pre-Ingenium designs. Others on this forum have claimed that it applies to the 2.0L too but I can't find any evidence for that - of course that may not mean anything.
    The problem seems to have arisen in the latest version of the engine so I assume it is modifications to meet Euro 6 emissions standards. I wonder if the late D4's (Landmark, late 2016 say) also had the problem, or was it something that specifically arose from modifications for the D5?
  • J77
    Scotland 

I had a EU6 D4, ran it for a year and a half without issue, serviced at a year old, no warnings months prior.

• Craigp
    England 

Disco John

Thumbs Up
  • Sw1gs
    Scotland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Kaikoura Stone

I still have a Disco 4 EU6 Landmark as I await the imminent delivery of my new D5. It’s 16 months old, been serviced at 11k after 1 year, Adblue range seems to be around 15k miles, wasn’t refilled at service but I checked on collection and sent it back in to be topped up with adblue - seems they don’t top up unless the warning light is on, which isn’t very helpful when you live 75 miles from the dealer! It looks as if the updated 3litre in the D5 (up 2bhp), has a new dpf system which is causing the problems.

Keep counting down the days to the new D5, should be on the production line in next few days! D
  • davidlc
    France 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Hello

Same problem
    I contacted the dealership yesterday
    They have a note on the problem in France
    I have an appointment tomorrow for a complete emptying and filter change
    It is taken as a guarantee. It's Free. But they still told me that the warranty applies only to vehicles with less than 19K Kms (11.8K miles)
    In spite of this it will be necessary to remake the drain to 26K Kms (16K Miles)

Effectively the problem is indeed with the ADBlue

Regards - David
    LRD5 HSE Luxury TD6
  • Disco John
    United Kingdom 

Davidlc, I do not think that we are talking about an AdBlue problem here. There is a need for more frequent filling with AdBlue, but that is 'just' a cost and inconvenience issue - maybe the price we have to pay for using diesel cars and saving the planet.
    The problem with oil being diluted with fuel in the 3.0L engine is a design failure that will result in the need for very frequent oil and filter changes and may result in long term damage to the engine. It is a result of the fact that the method employed to raise the temperature of the DPF for regeneration, is known as 'late fuel injection', which, in this engine, results in diesel, washing down the cylinder walls and mixing with the oil. Not only is the diluted oil less effective at lubricating the engine (this can be mitigated by frequent oil changes), but the effect of 'washing' the cylinder walls with diesel on a regular basis can destroy the protective layer of oil and lead to 'polishing' of the walls, after which they are unable to hold the thin layer of oil they need for protection. This could lead to high cylinder wall wear rates in affected engines and consequent early engine failure rates. Changing the oil regularly will not make this better. I do not know how big an issue this last factor will turn out to be, some posts in the DS forum seem to think it could be significant.
  • dlks151
    Scotland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Montalcino Red

Service Due Warning

I've only just turned 5000mls and I've now got the Service Due warning appeared on the vehicle health report page of the app. Looks like mine has succumbed to the same issue.
  • PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I’m wondering if the ‘stop start’ on the early part of a daily commute would effect this?

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum