Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• stingray
    Wales 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

This is what I said a few days ago:

"My MY18 TD6 has covered just over 3,000 miles, and today showed service required in 1050 miles. I did a twelve mile journey and checked it again and it showed 1,000 miles till service. As I was sitting looking at it, it dropped to 950!"

25 miles later, showing 0 miles to next service!
  • SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Just picked mine up this late afternoon and soon as I got in it I took a photo

How can that be with brand new oil and filter Rolling Eyes
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Odd...so far mines saying 9900 which appears to be behaving...

Santorini Black MY 18 HSE Dynamic BLACK TDV6
  • SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 

Just tried it this morning after a short drive

So it’s knocked 50 miles off the oil service for a 25 mile drive 🤔
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

The distance to service seems to change in 50mile increments. So it might change by 50 miles after 10 miles of driving but then not change again for another 40miles.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

JohnM yes you are correct. Distance to service does not update on every mile driven. It’s a complex algorithm based on time since last update, distance driven and regeneration cycles.
    For the 6 months prior to rejecting my car I ran a detailed spreadsheet.

Found out early on that driving it like the vickers wife or motorway cruising at low rpm was worst case for my car.
    I got the best view on my distance to service by looking at weekly/driven 250mile figures. Daily/sub 100 miles was always misrepresentative.
    Also for me, driving it harder usingnpaddles to keep a slightly higher rpm defiantly improved the ratio. I suspect it allowed the exhaust to get hotter quicker and stay hotter.

Just my experiences..
  • SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 

So why would mine say service required in 3000 miles when it’s just had the oil and filter changed ?
    Does the dealer have to reset it manually back to say 10 or 12 K ?
    Or is it done automatically as soon as the car senses new oil ??
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

If your dealer was anything like mine, they did on 2 occasions forget to reset it correctly, despite performing oil and filter changes.

Sloppy work

However, take a video of the dash showing VIN, mileage and distance to service, this is great evidence to use with LR customer care for goodwill or aid the rejection process. - It worked for me. I rejected it in approx 4 weeks. Painless.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

SHARKYSHARKS wrote:
    So why would mine say service required in 3000 miles when it’s just had the oil and filter changed ?
    Does the dealer have to reset it manually back to say 10 or 12 K ?
    Or is it done automatically as soon as the car senses new oil ??

Mine has had 2 early oil changes so far, and on both occasions, when it came back the distance to service showed the residual mileage to get to 16000 miles, first occasion changed at 5200 miles came back distance to service 11000 miles initially, second change at 10200 miles, distance to service 6000 miles, its now on 14000 miles and service distance back down to 0, it dropped the last 2300 miles in real distance of 300 miles. Will get a full 16k service this time plus N222, so will be interesting to see how far it actually goes before it calls for another oil change, so far its been roughly 4500 miles each time its got to 0 miles. My daily commute is 26 miles each way of which approx 75% is 50-60mph on b roads, rest 30mph village.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • samyil
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Carpathian Grey

My model year 18 has had an update to fix this issue. Land rover were usless verging on insulting blaming my driving style. My service manager has said the cars have been regenerating much too often, so having too many interrupted regens, causing the dilution. So far it seems to have fixed as it would have been ready for it's 4th service now at 13.5k.
  • SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 

Back at Farnell this morning with the oil dilution issue only reading 3000 miles after oil n filter !
    They have now said this is normal and that it’s guessing how much time to it’s first service 🤬
    What a load of 💩
  • SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 

So after a discussion with the service advisor 🤔they have now reset it and it is now reading 16000 miles !!
    I would like to no off others that have MY 18 does it have a separate service light come up when the service is due besides the oil service indicator ?
  • HDFB110
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

OK - so 4th visit for oil service & approx 10,000 miles.
    Dealer confirmed I have an oil dilution issue (surprise surprise)
    They confirmed that as my car is a March 2017 oil dilution related services would be 'under warranty'.
    So I am looking at oil changes at about every 2500 miles.
    After the 3year warranty - I'm on my own??
    Dealer also did a software update - new looking infotainment system.
    They also told me they had test driven the car.

However when I got in the car the service needed message was still present & the miles to service was zero.
    Went back in & asked again if the car had been test driven I was told yes definitely.
    What they didn't know was I had photographed the milometer readings when I dropped the car off.
    What was amazing was that the car now showed 1 mile less than when I dropped it off ??
    At this point they go the service manager - who basically had to agree with me that they were lie'ing !!!!

The car was then taken for test drive (5 miles) & the service indicator reset.
    To be honest I don't know weather to believe the oil has been changed or not now?

Am waiting for a call back from LR customer support.
    Overall I have lost my faith in the product & the dealership network !!!!
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

You could always reject the car, it is not always painful.
  • Labbix

I’m trying to reject it since day 1, 6! months ago, they are stil looking at it and are trying to find a ‘positive outcome’, but they asked a little patience from my side.

If no ‘positive outcome’ will be given, I will post their written communication on this site. You might be surprised.

The car has been in now for the last month as a whole and numerous times before that as well.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum