Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

'Service Required' after only 5,000 miles!?

Hi all,

i've had my Discovery 5 for only 3 months now, 5,000 miles covered and i've got a 'Service Required' notification pop up!

Surely this is an error/bug?

Theres a few things on Topix that point to this, but I wondered if anyone else had this message after such a short time?
  • J77
    Scotland 

Yup, it's known issue I believe, though I've not had it a couple on here have.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

thanks for the info
  • PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I have it.
    Took the car to dealers for a preliminary look, they have booked me in for two days next Tuesday/ Wednesday.
    They assured me car is safe to drive & any engine damage is down them ! Shocked
    Will report back.

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Me too. 6400 miles. It shows up in the app but only fleetingly on the LCD.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

Ok, so an update from me.

I contacted my local dealership, and they don't know anything about this issues ( ! ) Not that i'm surprised! Plus they weren't very forthcoming when they found out I didn't buy the car from them!

But as its a warranty issue, they have booked the car in to get looked at - But I have to wait until the 19th September! The best quote was - "Well if you had bought the car from us, we would have jumped on this faster and had your car in faster" - So I have forwarded this quote to Land Rover customer services! Not impressed!

After paying over £60k for a vehicle only 3 months ago, I don't expect to get anything less than 110% customer support!
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

My dealer is "booking for October" and I bought it from them, advice was to ignore it.
  • Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

I've come across instances of this being related to engine oil contamination/dilution, with diesel, as a result of DPF regeneration. I'd treat this with very real and urgent concern.
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

Diesel Dilution

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5379

Diesel dilution can cause early service request on L462 All-New Discovery 3.0 litre. On page 22 of the above thread there is a download file JLRP00100.pdf which contains the required information. This has become somewhat of a nuisance to DS and Evoque owners, to say the least.
  • PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Mine went in today for Service alert warning.

Hopefully now fixed Surprised

Update on software + an oil & filter change

Oil dilution was the culprit.

How it was explained to me is that the D5 has a system that at various intervals sprays extra diesel into pistons that doesn't get burned off till it reaches the catilist and so aids regeneration, if the car is stopped before this process can happen some diesel can get past piston rings and into oil.

Or something like that Laughing

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

Hi PeterW

thanks for the info, no one has actually told me why this happens! Now I know...

Matt
  • Disco John
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Farallon Black

I think the contents of the SCN referred to above are really shocking. It basically admits a serious design flaw, 'Duration/distance to complete a full regeneration on 3.0L [engines] is longer' this must be a bad thing, and 'Due to hardware and architectural difference between model lines, the amount of post injection required to achieve a similar burn rate is much higher on 3.0L diesel' (higher than what?). Then goes on to admit that these two effects combined 'significantly increase the Fuel in Oil (FIO) contribution for each successful regeneration event'.
    So having admitted the design flaw, absolutely nothing to do with driving style you will note, they then go on to say they will not cover any additional oil change costs (for All New Discovery owners anyway), because they pointed out in some marketing material that the time between oil changes can depend on 'type and style of driving'!
    Thinking of cancelling my order...
  • forever
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Silicon Silver

Just buy the service pack and it not your issue, at the price its a no brainer anyway...
  • Disco John
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Farallon Black

Hmm, that is one approach, but I have read elsewhere that the dealer can refuse to cover additional oil changes under the service plan outside the five scheduled services. But anyway, it still leaves the concern over long term engine damage due to diluted lubricating oil.
  • forever
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Silicon Silver

Honestly i would never run one of these outside the three year warranty period, so not a concern for me....
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum