Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Here is where I ran the cable for the reversing light

Under the floor of the boot
    Behind the boot right hand trim up to the rubber boot seal
    Behind the rubber boot seal from bottom to top of the boot and through roof liner
    Through the cable conduit from the roof liner to the tailgate
    Down the inside of the boot lid along the glass and into the void behind the reversing camera

Took about an hour to run the wire so it’s totally hidden like a factory fit.

• Jacko
    Australia 

very nice job
  • Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Loving your work sir. Thumbs Up
  • Big Al
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Rather than upgrading the lights yourself though, shouldn’t this be a matter for LR to address?

I had to reverse last night down an unlit country road, as the road ahead was blocked by a vehicle that had turned over.
    Even though I knew nothing was behind me, as the police had blocked off the road further back, it was almost impossible to see anything descriptive either by way of my mirrors or rear camera because the rear reversing lights were so Pi$$ Poor.

I’d previously considered the reversing lights poor when reversing onto my drive and had spoken to my dealership about such. They informed me that’s how they are, but after my experience last night the reversing just aren’t fit for purpose.

I did notice when looking at the reversing lights last night, that there may be an obscured filter/lens in the lamp assembly. I’m not if this can be removed as it might be that simple to increase the light output.
  • J77
    Scotland 

The reverse lights are ok, light wise. They are just mounted too high. The D4s weren’t brilliant until an LED bulb was fitted.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • forever
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Silicon Silver

Never had an issue, the camera's are so good it like daylight Smile, plus the birds eye view i find very useful..
  • J77
    Scotland 

I have none of the above Laughing

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • forever
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Silicon Silver

Smile ah....
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Try reversing in total darkness in country lane or off road. They are a waste of electric

Sadly reversing lights on modern cars are for the benefit of other road users so they know U are reversing. They are not designed to illuminate your way.

Hence my upgrade.

( off road, in woods etc with no ambient lighting The camera is no help at all)
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

This is strange! Surprised

I live on a narrow private lane with no lighting and am always amazed how good the visibilityis on the rear camera at night when reversing into my parking space.

Why the difference?
  • Big Al
    United Kingdom 

So if the reversing lights arent suitable in any other conditions other than on a lit road perhaps LR should be forced to state such as a caveat.

Ie: warning the reversing lights fitted should only be relied upon when used on a lit road at night. They are unsuitable to provide adequate path Illumination and no attempt to reverse at night in an unlit environment should be attempted.

I can’t believe the lack of attention to detail in recent products, whilst the literature suggests otherwise.
  • Big Al
    United Kingdom 

Jimbg, I even got out last night and cleaned the lights to see if would be better, but alas no.

My last D4, which had UltraLED upgrades, illuminated everything so clearly. I’m guessing can’t cant upgrade the lights in the D5 as each lamp seems to be all one unit, shame.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I believe you, but as Forever says it is like daylight?

If I can remember next I am out at night in total darkness I will try to get a photo of the screen.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

I also find the reversing lights and camera quality atrocious in unlight areas (anywhere rural to be honest).

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

My reversing lights are good, even in my pitch black drive.

(Obviously Not as good as Pcheaven excellent modification Thumbs Up )

One thought. I have surround system, better quality cameras used ?

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum