Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Connected Car features work w/o connected car data plan

Confirmed today via "dual phenomenology" as we say in the biz -

My connected car free data plan expired on Saturday. Yesterday and today, I connected the vehicle to my phone's mobile hotspot - all commute data was available, as well as traffic. I could also search for new destinations. Leave "mobile data" activated - if you deactivate this, it seems like the car thinks you have no mobile data connection even though you're connected to your phone via the car's wifi.

Also, through another medium I asked Land Rover Customer Service the following question and received the following response:
    Q - If I let my mobile plan expire and use only my mobile phone's hotspot as a data connection for my Land Rover, will I still be able to use all of the connected car features of my InControl Touch Pro system?

A - That is correct, if the vehicle is connected to a WiFi connection such as a home router or a phone's mobile hotspot, all the connected car features will still be available.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Very handy to know Thumbs Up

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

This does cause some confusion and this may be UK/EU specific but :

The cars has it’s own data connection that is used for both the remote app capabilities
    (Remote start,’journey logging, tracking if you have the secure option, seat fold, service and consumable stats etc). This is also used for the SOS system to send your location to the emergency services.) This works without a SIM or car data plan

The live services in ICP require a live data connection of some sort that you provide. This covers route planning, traffic, online destination searches, satellite imagery. This can be provided by either connecting the car to Wi-fi (a phone hotspot, a home connection, even a Wi-fi hotspot Device if
    You want 4G)

If your phone connects to the cars hotspot and you have no SIM then not data connection exists, you have to connect the car to your phone not the other way around.

I have the Three SIM and it is great value and is perfect to get a years usage with no contract and plenty of data (unless the kids hammer the hotspot)

I also have the car connected to my home WI-FI and that allows you to detect the car arriving and leaving as my home automation can trigger actions like lights based on time and devices attaching or disconnecting to my network. It also helps with route planning as my
    House is in a Three dead spot so I can route sync before driving off.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Just got my HSE and I can connect to a hotspot created by my iPhone. Thing is the car won’t automatically find the hotspot next time I get in to drive. Is this a bug with InControl or a setting in the car I’ve missed?

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Seaby
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

I have the same issue which is really annoying.

The car will connect to the home wifi when on the drive automatically, but won't to the phone's hotspot. And you have to be stationary to connect so too late once on the move.

The main benefit of connecting via your phone is 4G as I think the car will only handle 3G even with a 4D data plan?
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

I had the same issue in a Velar loaner ( also I had to change my iPhone names as it was called "Neilk's iPhone" and it would not connect. I changed it to "Neilk iPhone" and it connected fine) but I had to do it manually. The Velar was also 4G and I think the 2018 Models will be, but correct for 2017 it is 3G only. It is actually fine for the ICP features but of course if you want to use the hotspot in anger it would be better to use 4G in your phone, presuming you can get it to auto connect. It does auto connect to my home wifi, but that shouldn't be the issue as I never added the home wifi to the Velar).

The Three SIM's are well worth doing for the ICP features, a years worth of data unless you hammer the hotspot for under £30 with no contract. When it runs out you can add a new one and throw it away (bizarrely cheaper than a top up). You could still use 4g on your phone for the hotspot and you don't have to faff connecting it.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Just ordered a sim. Will live with the hotspot connection issue for 3 days Wink

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • rich
    New Zealand 

So if there is no SIM slot in the car there ability to still hotspot with a phone? The Oct 17 built HSE I have ordered does not appear to have a SIM slot.
  • Teemo
    United Kingdom 

Do you not have something that looks like this hidden under your center arm rest?

• rich
    New Zealand 

Yep have that panel inside centre box ... all the same but no SIM slot on the demo HSE vehicle.... my actual vehicle arrives next week.
  • VRAMBO
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Get my HSE in 2 weeks Rich and I don't get the sim or HDMI ports
  • rich
    New Zealand 

Sounds like the Southern Hemisphere is getting the rubbish
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum