Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Slimline II cargo roof rack kit by Front Runner

Finally ready for sale.

1255mm(W) X 1762mm(L), full-size Slimline II cargo roof rack kit contains the Slimline II Tray, Wind Deflector and 4 Foot Rails to mount the Slimline II Tray to All-New Discovery (L462). It easily installs using the existing factory mounting points. No drilling required. Compatible with "shark fin" antenna.
    NOTE: Land Rover Roof Rails are required for fitment.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Sounds very cool even with the price of more than 1k Euro, but an approximate Installed Weight 27kg (60lbs) leaves us only with 47kg additional cargo weight, which is only one water tank and one spare wheel.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/d...k-kit.html

Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE Luxury Td6 in Carpathian Grey
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Looks useful. But £1000

Bloody hell
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

This one is slightly cheaper, but by the time you have added shipping who knows. Looks like you need to remove the rails though

Looking at expedition racks for other models/makes, 1K seems to be the norm.

https://voyagerracks.com/land-rover-discov...-roof-rack

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Shame no one can design a rack for the D5 that mounts using the roof rail mounting points so no rails are required.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • stiff
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

That price is the norm for a FR rack (or any other rack of similar purpose and quality).

I've been looking at this rack recently...but still have the open question of where does the rear access ladder go...? Looks like that won't be something offered for the D5 and a separate ladder for the side needs to be used (and packed in the vehicle !)

2018MY HSE Si6
    D3 2007MY HSE with a couple of extras....
  • Blackfly
    Canada 

I emailed Voyagerracks, they reckoned a ladder would be available in the new year. I am still weighing up the options of rack and roof top tent or relying on my trusty Vango Mk 3 Std and/or a Hennessy hammock

• VRAMBO
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

voyagerrack looks lots better and you dont need the ugly factory roof rails to mount it.
  • Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Agree, but it has no modular system and the rails for the accessory mounting, lights, gear holding brackets, tie-down rings and so on, all that makes the journey much easier and secure.
    With black factory roof rails should be fine, and I find them absolutely not ugly, Disco looks way better with them installed.

Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE Luxury Td6 in Carpathian Grey
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

The roof rails finish the car off. Looks naked without them, plus saying they look ugly is a bit harsh Laughing
  • DeckB
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Indus Silver

I installed a FrontRunner 'Slimline 2' about a couple months ago. Overall I'm very happy with, and can't wait to put it through its paces come camping season. Well built and well thought out.

Install was fairly easy and I was able to do it myself. There are a lot of bolts, so be sure to use a drill/driver with torque control. The caps on the OEM roof rails were a pain to remove.

The mounts sit on 'sleeves' that hold it ~1/2" over the roof rails. It looks like these could be ground down to drop the overall height, but I'd check the sunroof clearance first. May not be worth the effort to gain ~1/4"

There is some wind noise, which I expected and is within what I'd consider 'normal' for a rack. There are two wind deflectors under the front of the rack and I found pushing them ~1" apart seems to help mitigate some of the noise.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 

Oddly enough I have been in contac with them about this rack, my main worry is do I really want a rtt, I like the hard shell concept but they are to big a front print , the alternants appear to be tricky to deploy or pack up.

The bottom line for me is I am going to drive Route 389Nd the TLH in June . I may be reliying on my Vango Mk 3 after all. Alough I could hotel/motel it also” the way if I pla;. But travel is not about precise planning

• dm
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Route 389

We're doing Route 389/Trans-Labrador Highway in June as well -- leaving Baie Comeau on June 20. I would have liked a rack and tent for the trip, but won't have time to figure it all out before the trip.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 

May see you on the road, that’s about when I am thinking of going, certainly in a June..

• Blackfly
    Canada 

Well ordered a rack from Frontrunner along with a few attachments, will post pics once it arrives

Am now steering away from a roof top tent, partly because it will be difficult for me to mount and demount when I want to, I do not have enough clearance in my garage . But who knows I may change my mind......again Very Happy

• Blackfly
    Canada 

Took a day to fit but it is solid . Will be adding Jerry can holders ,a spare mount and some tie down rings next week

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum