Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

The 2L is remarkably good to be honest. I think you’d be very surprised at how good it is DieselRanger Thumbs Up

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I've driven the 2.0L and the 3.0L extensively over the past week. The single most annoying thing........ trying to figure out just how a 2.0L engine is capable of that ?

I mean, if you think about it. D3's 2.7L to D4's 3.0L to D5's with the same size engine as a Golf Rolling with laughter

Whistle

Shocked

It doesn't sound like it'll work... But it does, very well.
  • Imbaw
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Yulong White

It's ingenius Wink
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Surprised Thud

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

DG wrote:
    Quote:
    I can't imagine

Thankfully, there's a difference to pondering on supposition and actually trying one Smile

I'm sure there is, unfortunately here in the States, pondering on supposition is all I've got since we only get the 3.0 ....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Some of us went to the launch at Solihull and during the presentation the chap was very complimentary about the 2.0l and said it will do everything the 3.0l will and in some cases better.
    However when pushed about towing or high mileage he did confirm that the 2.0l would struggle and would have to be driven a lot harder to match the 3.0l.
    His view was for standard mileage and occasional towing 2.0l but for higher mileage and towing it would be the 3.0l

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Seaby
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

Just had my road tax through for the 2.0 - £220 for 2nd year. Not sure that the 3.0 is??
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

3 litre is £280
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

UPDATE

After much delibeating and after having both veh's out on test over seperate weekends i've plumped for the 3.0 Litre,

2.0 Litre although fairly close to the bigger engine lacked that silky smooth warble that i assosciate with a vehicle of this size and class. It was noisy on tickover, Not that noticeable when inside but if driving with the windows down or when i stood on the road while closing a gate and the wife was driving it was clearly audible. Entering Mtwy up hill on slip road and the 2.0 just seemed to run out of gusto, the rev's dropped off fairly quick and there seemed to be a big flat spot towards the top end. It gave all it was going to give and there it stayed,

3.O litre As said above, Silky smooth drives very much like the 2.0 but pulls that little bit cleaner with a tad more refinement, this is probably due to the soundtrack of the V6 ? but it definately felt smoother and some how more robust. The 2.0 felt fragile but i think that was down to me and what i was thinking.
    I doubt i will be saying this at 2,500 miles with Oil dilution in the 3.0...... Acceleration felt cleaner with less jerkiness thro the gears, it didnt seem to struggle on initial uptake when setting off. Entering same stretch of motorway and it pulled cleaner not harder, and didnt run out of guts as it went up through thr rev's towards the upper end of the rev's range.

There's really not a lot in it, What there is marginal and what there isn't is stuck in my head. The option was there for me to choose and i very nearly went for a Petrol. Since ordering the 3.0 Litre Td6 i've wobbled at least 4 times and nearly changed to Petrol in orange, There wasn't one around me to drive let alone have a loaner,

I,ll update when it arrives this week.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Never noticed my 2Ltr run out of gusto. Pulls and accelerates very well. No jerky gear changes either.

Admittedly doesn’t sound as good but certainly feels robust enough. Certainly a match for the 3Ltr I had in my D4.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 

What Petrol were you thinking of - 2.0 or 3.0?

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

Simon, Maybe it was the one i had? just seemed to rev hard for not very long and then top out, The gearbox seemed Jerky when pulling away from standstill at Red lights or when getting across a roundabout. in gear it seemed to knock on upshift a bit, felt jerky and a bit clunky to me. I thought it was the gearbox trying to mesh with the engine's rev's? Quite possibly a gearbox fault.

Simon, The Si6 Petrol 3.0 Litre, I didn't know they realeased a 2.0 Litre petrol ?
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Re: UPDATE

Chalky's VW wrote:

2.0 Litre although fairly close to the bigger engine lacked that silky smooth warble that i assosciate with a vehicle of this size and

To be fair they were never going to be the same though were they? ...I had to accept that after coming from a V6 in all the previous Disco's I'd had.

My expectation of how the 2.0 would perform was exceeded though and therefore I had to ask do I really want to pay the extra and have less fuel economy? I found it good enough to satisfy my needs Smile .
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 

There’s a 300 BHP 2.0 i4 Petrol as well as the 3.0 V6 Petrol

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum