Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

TDV6 in Jag is twin turbo and gives about 300bhp, D5 is single turbo and pretty well maxed out at 258bhp
  • Seaby
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

Very happy with our 2.0. Was dreading driving the 3.0 when we did the Off Road Experience as I thought it would be smoother and have more low down power and I would regret going for the 2.0.

But it didn't feel that different and this included a stretch on road at higher speeds.

We tow 2 largish horses with the 2.0 and no difference to our old D3 2.7.
  • Dirty Trucker
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

There should be a difference between your old D3 and your D5 The D3's were only 190bhp and the new 2ltr's are supposed to be 240bhp.
  • lemme
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Loire Blue

2.0 has been perfect thus far... it's so quiet, one of my passengers questioned why did i buy a petrol considering the amount of miles i drive (1200 in two weeks and counting) Laughing

MY18 HSE Lux Loire Blue with Black Pack
    [most options ticked apart from HUD & Fridge)
  • oop north
    United Kingdom 

Trevorb1 wrote:
    TDV6 in Jag is twin turbo and gives about 300bhp, D5 is single turbo and pretty well maxed out at 258bhp

Is it really single turbo in D5? Have done some frantic googling to check but not found anything

I do know that D3 was single turbo 190bhp, Jag equivalent twin turbo 204bhp
    D4 3.0s all twin turbo

I thought the latest D4s were slightly less powerful than D5 which would suggest not gone from twin turbo to single turbo but I could be wrong
  • Gareth
    United Kingdom 

I've posted this before, but for those that have not seen it, its a good comparison between my 3.0 D4 HSE Lux (2013) and AndrewS 3.0 HSE D5.

Private beach test 0 - 70mph. It was pretty close. The 5 had it off the line but the 4 kept up pretty well.

We need to try this with a 3.0.vs 2.0 eh DG? Wink

• DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

But we all know that Andrew wasn’t trying..... Whistle

We should get one of every engine Cool

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Happy to join in with my 2L. Its performing better than I had expected it would.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Following the test drive before I ordered, I had a D5 2.0 again for the day last Monday. I really put it through it's paces and I remain very, very impressed with it.

I really don't think there would be much in it Gareth Very Happy
  • Gareth
    United Kingdom 

Was that a flying gauntlet I saw flying past the window...... 🧤
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

On paper the 2L is a smidge faster Mr. Green

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

The 2L SD4 I took out for a test drive may have had some issue with the torque converter, unless others have noticed this too

I live on a hill, usually reverse out of the driveway, stop across the road then turn left. Drive away at 1,500 rpm and let it sit at that engine speed until I am at the top of the hill.

When moving off from standstill, obviously the torque converter allows slip but then after about 10 seconds (might be a bit less) of the car moving with slipping torque converter quite abruptly it feels like the torque converter locks up giving a bit of a jolt before the car wanders up the hill. I tried this a second time the same way, again the same jolt. It doesn't seem to be related to the turbo as the revs don't change, what changed is there's no more slip from the torque converter after the jolt. Maybe the torque converter is different from the TD6?

The TD6 did not have this jolt and walked up the hill the same way my D4 TDV6 does. This was the deciding factor for me to order a TD6, on paper I would have been happy with the SD4.

Ron
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

I've noticed it's more prone to roll back too on slopes whereas other automatics have never done this (unless its a steep hill).

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

As a red-blooded 'Murican, I have to say that I can't imagine a diesel 4-banger being sufficient motivation for a 5,000lb SUV designed to go off-road, and probably wouldn't have chosen it had it been available here. I would add, again from an automotive Manifest Destiny perspective, it should come with a 4.2L turbodiesel V8 with about 350-400hp, several locomotives' worth of torque, and an engine sound to match, but sadly those days seem numbered if not already gone.

That said, I am completely happy with the 3.0L Td6. This isn't a sports car, so it doesn't need neck-snapping acceleration or jowl-stretching cornering ability, but it does need to get out of its own way and needs sufficient torque and power to move across pretty much any terrain without stress, and the 3.0 fits that bill with great fuel economy to boot.

Well, OK, *maybe* it needs closer to 300hp / 500lb-ft....
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Quote:
    I can't imagine

Thankfully, there's a difference to pondering on supposition and actually trying one Smile
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum