Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• benlawers
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) S Namib Orange

2.0 vs 3.0

Ok maybe there are threads already on this.
    Personally, low down torque and rapid acceleration are important for a good driving (diesel) experience. Mpg matters too. I love diesel low rev high torque and use the paddles all the time on my D5 2.0 as in D it revs too highly for no apparent reason and no extra torque. Personally I think there’s a fault as it drives very well between 1200 and 2500 rpm but if in D it likes to change gear at between 3000 and 4500 rpm and whine it’s friggin’ pants off. .
    So I’m really interested in you’re feedback as today I got a 3.0 courtesy D5 whilst my 2.0 D5 is being repaired (again) for a broken seat runner.

My history of Land Rover products and ownership- and I’m just listing these as I’m interested in other feedback.

D3 2.7 ok and reasonable on fuel (auto crap on fuel).
    D4 2009-2013 3.0 rapid and ok on fuel.
    D4 2014-16 - 3.0 really rapid buy really thirsty.
    Range Rover sport April 2015 onwards with 306 hp - flying machine and good 30 plus mpg on fuel.
    Disco5 2.0 nothing exciting until reached 7000 miles. Now drives well with really good low rpm torque - rapid and still reading about 33mpg.
    Disco5 3.0 courtesy car - omg I expected s flying machine but tbh it’s not a lot different to the 2.0.

And that’s what provoked me to write this.
    There must be plenty of you who’ve owned and driven the same cars as I’ve listed. The 2.0 D5 comes second to the Range Rover sport 306. I wouldn’t buy a D5 3.0 given that I’ve now driven Tbe 2.0 and 3.0 and realise the little difference. It’s like it’s been de-tuned, maybe to boost sales a couple of years down the line.
    In response to a question -
    I think that (2007)era its all the same engine tuned and retuned differently. There are a few different horse powers from the same engine at different stages and different vehicles Again I think the D5 is a different form of the ingenium engine based unrelated to the sd5 disco 4..

I’m fascinated and interested in anyone’s thoughts 😀

Last edited by benlawers on 19th Jan 2018 11:28 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • jeb3
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Aruba

Interesting, prior to your post I did not know about a 306hp version of the 3.0td. Is the 254hp version the same engine as the 306hp? Does it have a different turbo/induction system or is it all just tuning of the Engine Control Management system?
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I personally found that the 3 litre was better at towing a heavy load than the 2 litre. It was less noisier and not running out of puff and struggling so too speak, especially going uphill, which I found the 2 litre did, whilst towing. Like yourself I incorrectly assumed a world of difference between the 2 litre and 3 litre units. However there is only 17 odd bhp between both engines. The 2 litre had too be revved more especially when overtaking, than the 3 litre, which was a smoother engine. Mind you both cars had not been run in so too speak, so things may have improved over time. I would rather have the bigger engine. For such a heavy car I think the 2 litre is underpowered and you would be constantly revving/redlining it to get the maximum out of it, leading too a possible reduction in the lifespan of the engine Shocked
  • J77
    Scotland 

For the little extra the 3.0 cost, it was worth the extra refinement. For me the 2.0 isn’t cheap enough and isn’t economical enough.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

I agree with regards too the price difference between the 2 engines. It's a no brainer, plus the D4 had a 3 litre engine which we were both accustomed too.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

I’m very impressed with the 2L engine. Pulls well. Accelerates well. Only issue is it doesn’t sound as creamy as the V6.

I get 36MPG on average even when driving at high speed. Driving normally I get nearly 40 MPG.

Can’t fault it TBH.

Oh and it Doesn’t suffer from the oil dilution issues the 3L does Smile

And no, you don’t need to rev the nuts out of it to make good progress.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

You trying pulling 3 tonnes of logs uphill in a 2 litre compared too a 3 litre and you will see what I mean Laughing

Don't get me wrong I was impressed with the 2 litre loan car they gave me before the 3 litre arrived. Fine for a normal family car, and light towing, but the 3 litre was far better when towing a heavy load or when using the car transporter imo.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Sure. But I don’t tow Wink

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thumbs Up
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

TBH I was skeptical how good it would be but once driven was actually very surprised at how well it pulls the bulk of the D5. Quicker than my DS was with the 180 Ingenium.

Only thing missing is that V6 sound.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I'm definitely with Road Runner 2017 on this.

The 3.0 pulls much better than a 2.0 ever could, especially when I need to pull a horse box with 2 fully grown horses, we are talking almost 3.5 tonnes! When I was looking around to replace my D4, the D5 was really the only choice. I did look at a Merc M class, a Shogun and a Volvo V90, but they were only fleeting glances as I knew that none of them would have the same pulling power as a 3.0 D5.

Funny story, I pulled a stuck Merc M350 out of a muddy field in my D5 just before Christmas, oh didn't mention that it was actually the Merc, and their attached horse box!

D5 3.0 all the way, no sweat!
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

If I had the choice I’d probably spec the 3L TBH but as I didn’t at the time I was surprised how good the 2L is. It’s pretty frugal too considering the work it has to do.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Don't get me wrong, i'm not dissing the 2.0 version, i've seen some fantastic reviews of all the engines for the D5. Just saying that the 3.0 fits my requirements.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Little is going to beat the smoothness of the V6 for sure and it could have been a deal breaker for me coming down from driving T\SDV6 for the last 13 years...but I was pleasantly surprised to find the 2.0 was just fine for my driving style...at no time did I feel that it struggled. Smile

Not scientific ...but it goes Smile

• DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

The TDV6 is 300 BHP in my Jag.

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum