Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Right had the Phase 3 update done for a while now and here are my thoughts and feedback.

The system does seem to be quicker both in operation and start up, but there are still odd occasions when it takes far to long to start up.
    The sat nav no longer shows where things like petrol stations or services are on your route despite being selected.
    Sat nav has frozen twice for up to a couple of minutes and then started working again.
    Radio starts up and within a few seconds there is a very brief silent period before the radio coming back on and sounding totally different, seems like the amp may not start up straight away and then does causing the slight silent period.
    When you first start car, if you put it straight into reverse before the infotainment has started up, the camera picture/display is small and not what you normally get, looks like a display for a much smaller screen, this corrects once the infotainment has started up and you re-select reverse.

One final thing appear to have battery low warning virtually every other day, doing between 10 and 50 miles per day. If I put the battery on charge with CTEK it seems Ok for a couple of days.

Overall I think there is a general improvement, but this is far from correct and far from what should be expected form the class of car.

This has all been raised with the dealers and they will hopefully raise this with JLR

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • RedBall
    United Kingdom 

Its always been the case with JLR electronic systems though. Ever since my first XF the infotainments systems have lagged far far behind other marques, and as you say especially so for such an expensive vehicle.

Still, Id like the opportunity to test the new update myself one day when I'm back in a car.
  • mcunnin
    Scotland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

So the next post shows what came back from the latest up date apparently. It seems to start up when you unlock the car so by the time you start the car it’s working. It’s fast a lot faster than it used to be different backgrounds. Seems much better. I know this is a newer version of the software but not sure if it’s the same as it doesn’t have the mountain button but that could just be because of the options on my car.

Last edited by mcunnin on 20th Apr 2018 9:08 am. Edited 1 time in total

2017 HSE Lux 3.0L Santorini Black
  • mcunnin
    Scotland 

• RedBall
    United Kingdom 

Dealer had my car a month to sort a fault with the central locking. Didn't get updated to version 3 during that time though.

Did the update get pulled for cars with Rear Seat Entertainment (again) ?
  • mcunnin
    Scotland 

mine was just done and it has rse. so far all works well

• RedBall
    United Kingdom 

Ill get mine booked in at some point then.

Have they decided to add the functionality of a "sync" button for the entertainment yet, so all screens can watch the same video at the same time?

Its a massive glaring oversight that took me all of two minutes to spot a year ago when I picked the car up, so quite why a team of people who's job it is to design these systems haven't spotted it is remarkable.

You have two kids in the back, they want to watch the same film at the same time. The film is stored on the hard drive or a usb stick, not on DVD.

Why oh why can't you just pick it for one of the rear seats and then "sync" the other screen. It would only require one instance of the decoder running on the system, you could play the audio through the car speakers and both kids get to laugh at the same moment rather than having to sit in their own bubbles with headphones on.

You have to be a master at pausing one, noting the time, then starting the other and switching back to the first one and unpausing at just the right moment.

If you park up in torrential rain and just want to picnic in the car and have the same film on the front screen too, then just forget it unless its on DVD.

The designers of these systems in the cars have clearly not got kids, or have taken zero feedback from families with kids that use these systems as this omission of a sync button would have been spotted before the first car made it on the road.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

mcunnin wrote:
    So the next post shows what came back from the latest up date apparently. It seems to start up when you unlock the car so by the time you start the car it’s working. It’s fast a lot faster than it used to be different backgrounds. Seems much better. I know this is a newer version of the software but not sure if it’s the same as it doesn’t have the mountain button but that could just be because of the options on my car.

As far as I am aware you should have the 4x4 info button on the Home screen (the Mountain icon now). Is it available on one of the other screens if you swipe left ? Odd that its not there. Unless its place is taken up by the Park Assist icon?

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

mcunnin wrote:
    mine was just done and it has rse. so far all works well

Does the voice activation work for the sat nav, mine starts up but as soon as you ask for a command shuts down, also the Liive button does not work

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Live all works for me but my media ports (USB's in central arm rest) are fooked. Power come on and off and won't see phone as a media device. Only works via Bluetooth !

Looks like the hardware might need changing. I also find the power to the 12v socket in the dash to be intermittent too sometimes so no idea what controls all this.

Tried many cables and phones, same results.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • mcunnin
    Scotland 

Just tested the navigation works with voice. Als checked both the USB ports working as they should. Then checked the live function also working even if it is poor. I live in Inverness and wanted to add Inverness to the teams then I would know every time Inverness played at home and avoid that part of town if out and about. So anyway tried every combination of Inverness Caledonian thistle football club but according to Landrover they don’t exist!!!
    But yes everything looks to be working and I have to say quickly and well.

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I bet if you put in Ross County FC, then it would find them. Laughing
  • mcunnin
    Scotland 

I did and guess what it did!!! Rolling with laughter

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

At least you know it's working then. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Anyone else seeing issues with the media ports (USB’s under arm rest / cubby) ?

I.E. Power turning off and on randomly, not recognising phones as media devices, seeing a phone as a media device then dropping the connection etc?

My cables are good and work fine in the 12v socket with a USB charger. Music plays fine over Bluetooth.

We thought it was the Phase 3 Update that’s causes this but after a full reload the problems still exist.

Loading a map update using the passage LR side USB works fine and progresses with no issues so my assumption is the USB is ok and it’s still as software issue.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum