Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Chalky's VW wrote:
    Simon, Maybe it was the one i had? just seemed to rev hard for not very long and then top out, The gearbox seemed Jerky when pulling away from standstill at Red lights or when getting across a roundabout. in gear it seemed to knock on upshift a bit, felt jerky and a bit clunky to me. I thought it was the gearbox trying to mesh with the engine's rev's? Quite possibly a gearbox fault.

Maybe the one you loaned was a bit of a goose. Admit the take off can be a bit sudden at times but the rest of the experience is that it's a very smooth gearbox/engine combo. The only thing I miss is the V6 woosh and the slight loss of low down torque when in low range (mounting piles of snow for example),

If I had the choice again would I pick a 3tr? Probably, but not because I'm disappointed with the 2Ltr.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • J77
    Scotland 

I’m running the D240 in the Velar and I can’t say it’s gem of an engine.

When it’s warmed up it goes well, pulls like a train and hard to tell it’s a 4 pot. When it’s cold though, the hesitation when pulling away is terrible, like slipping a clutch. The PSA 2.2 TD4/SD4 was a better engine.

I once got 44mpg on a long run but it’s rare to see that, not much better MPG than the 3.0 IMO, with a 60 litre tank on the Velar I’m struggling to get over the 400 miles from a tank.

The Velar is really nice but deserves the V6 which I couldn’t stretch the budget any further for.

At least I know £1500 wasn’t wasted by going for the 3.0 over the 2.0 on the D5. 2.0 does the job but there is room for improvement.

One bonus with the D240 is it doesn’t suffer the early service warning like the 3.0. In fact there hasn’t been any 2.0 Velars suffering with it that I’m aware of.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

DiscoStu wrote:

I was told this wasn't available, "yet" Is it out now ? I know it's listed on the "Build your own" but havent seen any yet/

Anybody got one ?
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

simonh wrote:
    Chalky's VW wrote:
    Simon, Maybe it was the one i had? just seemed to rev hard for not very long and then top out, The gearbox seemed Jerky when pulling away from standstill at Red lights or when getting across a roundabout. in gear it seemed to knock on upshift a bit, felt jerky and a bit clunky to me. I thought it was the gearbox trying to mesh with the engine's rev's? Quite possibly a gearbox fault.

Maybe the one you loaned was a bit of a goose. Admit the take off can be a bit sudden at times but the rest of the experience is that it's a very smooth gearbox/engine combo. The only thing I miss is the V6 woosh and the slight loss of low down torque when in low range (mounting piles of snow for example),

If I had the choice again would I pick a 3tr? Probably, but not because I'm disappointed with the 2Ltr.

Simon, I know what you mean, I had to get this right, My last fling in Land Rover a Disco Sport ended abruptly when i rejected it, HSE Lux 2015. One of the first ones. After tootling about in a D3 for 7 years it seemed like an obvious replacement at the time. But it quickly dawned on me that i'd bought a Freelander and i hated it. Fortunately it was a Frankenstein car and this made handing it back easy.

I waited and waited for something Disco 5 related, i spent some time out in the States in 2016 / 17 and had a Ford Explorer. I said at the time to my Wife if the new Disco is anything like this i'm having one. So i came home and bought a Touareg ? That had a lovely 3.0 Litre unit.
    I've hated the back end, For no other reason than to find something i didn't like about the car and used this as an excuse to not buy one. So as you guy's are aware out on the road these things are rare, so it's not every day you get to compare them, well i sat behind one on the M1 a month or so ago and the whole back end thing suddenly dawned on me, I know it harks back to all previous Disco's but that wasn't the issue.

Imagine IF they'd have made it and not put anything from the previous versions on there ? there'd have been hell on.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

I did the downsizing thing to the Freelander 3 also and had a 16MY Disco Sport. Rejected it. Was built like a pile of crap. The 17MY I got as a replacement was far far better but I spent my time fighting door seal creaking, crappy sat nav, boot rattles and then along came the oil dilution issue. Really could get on with it. Both HSE Lux’s. Both more expensive than my previous D3’s and D4 !

Dealer was at all times great and very supportive.

Popped in to get new wiper blades for and a month later I’m in a D5 Smile

TBH. Passenger wise the DS is a marvel. Boot space wise for us it was just too small. The third two seating a joke unless you have 5 year old.

So glad to back in a full size Disco again.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

Same here Simon,

Can't wait to get back in a Disco, looks like Friday for pick up Thumbs Up

My son kind of grew up in the D3, first school run, holidays, camping, Rugby... he's looking forward to it almost as much as me
    Rolling with laughter
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Chalky's VW wrote:
    I was told this wasn't available, "yet" Is it out now ? I know it's listed on the "Build your own" but havent seen any yet/

Anybody got one ?

It's available to order.

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Chalky's VW wrote:
    I've driven the 2.0L and the 3.0L extensively over the past week. The single most annoying thing........ trying to figure out just how a 2.0L engine is capable of that ?

I mean, if you think about it. D3's 2.7L to D4's 3.0L to D5's with the same size engine as a Golf Rolling with laughter

Whistle

Shocked

It doesn't sound like it'll work... But it does, very well.

Its probably due too the fact that the D5 has been put on a diet, (350 plus kg lighter if i recall correctly, compared too the D4).

I would like too see how a D4 weighing 2750kg approximately, would fare with a 2 litre lump Whistle
  • oop north
    United Kingdom 

simonh wrote:
    Never noticed my 2Ltr run out of gusto. Pulls and accelerates very well. No jerky gear changes either.

Admittedly doesn’t sound as good but certainly feels robust enough. Certainly a match for the 3Ltr I had in my D4.

I have as a loan car a Merc GLE 250 (2.1 litre 4 pot) at the moment (D4 in for repairs after my fath r in law drove into it). Definitely weedier than the D4 and not good enough (a bit grumbly all ththe time and not powerful enough). V interested to read more about the 2.0 in the D5, though - if I get a used one then if a 2.0 is acceptable then there is a lot more choice. Need to try one myself
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

It’s a great engine. Just driven 4 hours to Gatwick for a business trip next week. Quiet, goes when commanded, has no issues pulling away past slower traffic.

Mighty impressive version of the Ingenium in my book.

Even sounds good when pushed (though as lower speed it does lack that TDV6 creaminess).

Mostly though it’s as relaxed to drive as my D4 was.

Go to a dealer and test drive one.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Imbaw
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Yulong White

I test drove the 3.0 and the 2.0 - both were driven predominantly in town with a quick burst on the M11. In town the 2.0 felt better, more agile. On the M11 I couldn't tell the difference on such a short run and with the passage of time, so it was an absolute no brainier for me, particularly given the uncertain climate we live in for this kind of engine/vehicle.

18MY Yulong White HSE
    I may be a while
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

I pretty much thought the same thing, In another 3 years or so we are all going to be running round in Scalextric cars so i thought i'd go V6 for one last time.

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • Seaby
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

Also, being lighter at the front end helps with handling and especially off road said the man on the Experience Drive Day....
  • J77
    Scotland 

I had the 2.0 as a loaner. It was actually surprisingly good, felt very nimble and other than sound was difficult to tell it was the 2.0. Had a bit of go about it.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

I thought that I would have to forgive the 2.0 for any 4 pot ills after coming from the old V6 but I have to say that I am bowled over with it ...it is certainly more than a match for the old 3.0 in the D4 in terms of speed and efficiency ...cruises and pulls beautifully and is perfectly matched for the 8 speed. Thumbs Up
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum