Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• chicken george
    United Kingdom 

It is a problem on DS. But software updates have improved things already. The difference between the Land rover system and the Honda mentioned by dishonest John is that LR place the heat loving DOC very near the turbo, the particulate filter doesn't need to be silly hot.

Chicken George, Land Rover owner for decades , and proud buyer of British products.
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

DG wrote:
    So to clarify, it doesn't affect the D5 240 2.0? if that is the case then posts relating to the Ingenium and the FIO seem pretty irrelevant to me. Confused

Yes and No. It's nothing to do with the engine itself, rather it's caused by the "hardware and architecture" of the accompanying exhaust system (see the SCN for details). Naming each model and its engine separates the wheat from the chaff. About 26,000 All-New Discovery L462 vehicles have been sold since January 2017 in North America and Europe and a significant proportion of these have the TDV6 engine, hence the potential for FIO Problems:

Quick summary based on JLR00100 & owner reports of early service requests due to excess FIO:

L538 + 2.2 Duratorq => FIO Clear
    L538 + 2.0 Ingenium => FIO Problems (JLRP00100 applies)
    L550 + 2.2 Duratorq => FIO Clear
    L550 + 2.0 Ingenium => FIO Problems (JLRP00100 applies)
    L462 + 3.0 TDV6 => FIO Problems (JLRP00100 applies)
    L462 + 2.0 Ingenium => FIO Clear
    F-Pace + 2.0 Ingenium => FIO Clear

E-Pace + 2.0 Ingenium => FIO Problems (Not included in JLRP00100)

Last edited by VeryDisco5 on 8th May 2018 10:57 pm. Edited 3 times in total
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Fairplay, but I'm only interested in the wheat being the D5 Ingenium 2.0 240 ...rather than the chaff of all the other Ingenium applications ...so to introduce full commentary into a Disco5 site in respect of the Ingenium is IMO fruitless and pointless Thumbs Up
  • Room101
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aruba

Thanks for this and all the other very useful information, JLR is saying that I should go for a 30 minute drive once a week to keep the filter clean. It's not what I expected from a $70K 4x4.

Last edited by Room101 on 29th Oct 2018 10:03 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Early indicator and stop/start

Unquestionably linked. I've been traveling a lot lately, so the last two weeks my wife has been driving the D5. I *always* disable the stop/start, she *never* disables it, and I haven't mentioned this issue to her.

The last time I drove it, last Sunday the 6th, there were approximately 3500 miles remaining until next service.

Today, there are 1800 miles remaining, and she has traveled approximately 60 miles in 3 days.

While the auto stop/start feature is not supposed to function under regeneration, it does affect engine and exhaust temperature. Lower cylinder and exhaust temps produce more soot in diesel engines, period. The DPF then fills up more quickly, requiring more frequent regeneration.

I'll be driving it over the next two weeks...will see if I can regain any oil range by disabling the stop/start.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Room101 wrote:

Thanks for this and all the other very useful information, JLR is saying zip about this and just tells me that I should go for a 30 minute drive once a week to keep the filter clean. It's not what I expected from a $70K 4x4 and I wished now Id listened to the folks who warned me that these are among the most unreliable and badly supported autos ever shipped.

I think characterizing this vehicle as 'unreliable' is unwarranted. The engine isn't unreliable - it's not breaking down, it's simply telling some users that they require more frequent oil changes due to driving styles, which may not have been clearly communicated through the dealer. I personally believe the auto stop/start feature is partly to blame, and that it may be conservative in its estimation as well. If anything, this is enhancing reliability by ensuring the motor oil never reaches a dilution level that will hasten engine failure due to premature wear.

Forcing regeneration is a fact of life for all diesels, some of the time. More frequently for some than others, and for some models more than others. It even happened on my "cheater" VW Touareg from time to time.

I look at the positive side - you get to spend a little more time driving your comfortable, capable, stunningly good-looking, premium SUV. Find a good road that leads to your favorite off-road trail and tell the SO you're going out to enhance the reliability of your depreciating investment to maintain as much long-term value as possible....

Last edited by DieselRanger on 10th May 2018 12:12 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Room101 wrote:
    Thanks for this and all the other very useful information, JLR is saying zip about this and just tells me that I should go for a 30 minute drive once a week to keep the filter clean. It's not what I expected from a $70K 4x4 and I wished now Id listened to the folks who warned me that these are among the most unreliable and badly supported autos ever shipped.

The mind boggles, you're buying a fantastic $70K 4x4 and don't want to drive it even 30 minutes in one trip every week? Whistle

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I've done 10K miles in 12 weeks, virtually all motorway or fast A-road (and driving fairly fast on those Whistle ). Start-stop is not disabled but hardly ever cuts in, mainly because if I stop I put the handbrake on. All of my journeys are over 30 mins (a short journey is 40 mins).

I still had service warning at 9400 - not sure start-stop has that big an impact, or how much a 30 min drive helps.

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

Quote:

The dealer who said 30 minutes needs some re-training. According to JLR's own guidance the DPF needs regular drives of over an hour to keep it in good shape.

Last edited by VeryDisco5 on 10th May 2018 7:29 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Mis-quote fixed. Whistle

I'll find out in about a month or so how diluted the oil really is - as soon as my warning comes on, I'll pull some to test. Recall the miles to service is a prediction based on the number of regens started and the driving style. There is no direct measurement of oil viscosity in this vehicle.
  • J77
    Scotland 

Buy the 2.0 problem solved Thumbs Up

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

J77 wrote:

Ah, I see now. Better mpg, just 18 fewer HP and only 0.3 seconds slower to 60 mph. No oil dilution.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

First question: do you ever feel under-powered or short of torque? I alerted a friend of swmbo to the post-injection problem with the TDV6 and they have postponed the upgrade of their V6 D4 indefinitely until there's better news on servicing. The problem is that it would be driven from NE Surrey to London and back quite a lot but I don't see a problem with the 2.0L provided the DPF is mounted on the turbo like the XE/XF. So,..

Second question: could you please have a look under the bonnet and report how it's configured. Does it have anything that looks like this?

Many thanks.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

I have the 4 pot 240 after having 2 D3's and 2 D4's ....the combination of over 600kg saved and 500nm means that it outpaces the former model with ease across the board. The only time I am really reminded it's a 2.0 is at tickover, low speed or if you floor it. It is very refined and well matched with the 8 speed box.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

J77 wrote:

Not available in North America.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Personally, as long as I know to expect this, I can change the oil cheaper than the stealer will. The filter is on top of the engine, so no need for a lift, I have a vacuum pump and I'm handy, Shocked Laughing so 30 minutes on a weekend every couple months and it's no big deal.

But if there's an issue (e.g., over-zealous estimation by some bit of software), then I'd like them to look into it, because that's still 30 minutes and fifty bucks I could be spending doing something else.
  • J77
    Scotland 

VeryDisco5 wrote:
    J77 wrote:

Ah, I see now. Better mpg, just 18 fewer HP and only 0.3 seconds slower to 60 mph. No oil dilution.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

First question: do you ever feel under-powered or short of torque? I alerted a friend of swmbo to the post-injection problem with the TDV6 and they have postponed the upgrade of their V6 D4 indefinitely until there's better news on servicing. The problem is that it would be driven from NE Surrey to London and back quite a lot but I don't see a problem with the 2.0L provided the DPF is mounted on the turbo like the XE/XF. So,..

Second question: could you please have a look under the bonnet and report how it's configured. Does it have anything that looks like this?

Many thanks.

I have the Velar now with same 2.0 engine as the D5 but the Velar so far unaffected. My Velar seems to go through a regen quite often and not a lot of miles required, whereas my 3.0 D5 used to take a lot longer before it would go through a regen.

I did have a 2.0 D5 as a loaner, it felt very nimble, just as powerful as the 3.0. Only really noticed the engine noise when hard pushed. If I was needing a bigger car again I’d certainly consider the 2.0 SD4. Thumbs Up

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum