Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Craigp
    England 

Easy change your driving style. Which appears to be moving to North America. Rolling with laughter
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

DieselRanger wrote:
    @Blackfly So what's your driving style like? Lots of road trips at speed?

My daily commute was about 40 km each way mostly highway at about 100 to 110 kph ,so sedate in Quebec terms . I tend not to rush anywhere much these days Very Happy

Last edited by Blackfly on 30th Apr 2018 7:28 pm. Edited 1 time in total

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Chalkys HSE wrote:
    So, after keeping check every week of veh's mileage and the service due indicator i can reveal that all is not as it should be.

What should i do ? take it back OR just keep getting it serviced every 2 Months. With ONLY Mtwy driving 60 - 70 MPH, No stop start and no standing in traffic.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That is pretty much exactly what these diesel engines are supposed to like. I assume these are the only trips you've made?

Blackfly wrote:
    My daily commute was about 40 km each way mostly highway at about 100 to 110 iPhone, somsedate in Quebec terms . I tend not to rush anywhere much these days Very Happy .

I don't speak Quebecois, but I think you mean you drive in a more sedate manner on trips that are moderate in length, and you seem to be coming close to the advertised service interval.

I'm somewhere in between - I'll hit about 13-14,000mi before I need my 2nd oil change.
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

DiscoStu wrote:
    It would seem that I'm going to hit my first service at around 9500 miles in my TDV6. Virtually all motorway driving, with some fast A/B roads.

I lied. I hit service at 8700.

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

Last Saturday Honest John confirmed once again the extent of the problem with the Discovery Sport and Evoque diesels and pointed the finger of blame squarely at the manufacturer for a design blunder that he now thinks can't be fixed. Apparently the problem goes back to the decision to mate the Freelander 2 chassis pan with JLR's new transverse engine which needs a close-coupled DPF in order to comply with Euro 6 emissions. The FL2 pan could accommodate the engine OK but, crucially, not the DPF as fitted to the Jaguar XE/XF: hence the stretched-out architecture with the hardware components positioned further back where temperatures are too cool for their effective operation.

Logically the lawyers would have received assurances that these statements were watertight and could be corroborated before allowing them to be published on the world-wide web. Maybe the persistent deluge of complaints from frustrated customers, the relentless pressure on dealer service departments for warranty work and the recent drop in sales (32% and 27% respectively in March) for the L538 and L550 models have combined to persuade more JLR employees to share what they know about how this all came about in the first place.

Motoring Agony Column 4 May 2017
    Scroll down to "Ingenious solution" and "Talkin ‘bout my regeneration"

Before anyone again tries to bad-mouth either the poster or the Daily Telegraph's motoring correspondent they should consider that all that people want to see here is justice for unfairly-treated customers and some kind of proper long-term engineering fix. If the company maintains its current stance of silent obfuscation they should perhaps start contemplating the possibility that this issue could continue to escalate until they change tack. They can't hide behind diesel demonization forever - and not everyone wants a gas-guzzling 4x4 cluttering up their drive. Fully-electric two and a half tonners? Forget it.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

What does this have to do with the D5?
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I’m confused - the Evoque owner who wrote in was complaining that the service frequency was too high, and he wanted to change oil earlier

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • J77
    Scotland 

I have the 2.0 D240 Ingenium engine in my Velar, it doesn’t worry me in the slightest that it has a 21000 mile/2 year service interval. If something happens then it’s up to LR to repair or replace as I’ve followed the manufacturers service intervals.

Some people are born worriers Rolling Eyes

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

The Velar isn't affected because its 2.0L Ingenium diesel engine is longitudinal, the same as in the XE/XF. To answer an earlier question about why this is of interest to Discovery 5 owners, the list of cars joined at the hip by JLRP00100 are:

L405 Range Rover 3.0L TDV6
    L494 Range Rover Sport 3.0L TDV6
    L462 All-New Discovery 3.0L TDV6
    L538 Range Rover Evoque 2.0L Diesel Ingenium
    L550 Discovery Sport 2.0L Diesel Ingenium

"Duration/distance to complete a full regeneration on 3.0L Range Rover / RR Sport / All-New Discovery and 2.0L diesel Evoque / Discovery Sport is longer than on the 2.0L diesel XE/XF, increasing the likelihood of an interrupted regeneration when a customer ends their journey. The amount of post-injection required to achieve a similar burn rate is much higher on [these cars] in comparison to [the Jaguars]. This significantly increases the Fuel-in-oil (FIO) contribution for each successful regeneration event [so that] FIO increases at a much faster rate on the Land Rover models."

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. This problem seems to have spread to Jaguar's brand-new 2.0L diesel E-Pace according to latest reports on the owners forum.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 

Are there examples of it affecting the 2.0 D5 and are they the 180 or 240 ?
  • J77
    Scotland 

As far as I’m aware the 2.0 D5 is unaffected.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • DG
    United Kingdom 

VeryDisco5 wrote:
    Before anyone again tries to bad-mouth either the poster or the Daily Telegraph's motoring correspondent

I often worry about this sort of blanket portrayal of doom ....the measure of any issue is simple .....what are the numbers involved? Do you or Honest know?

Last edited by DG on 8th May 2018 8:43 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

It's very easy to pick out the JLR diesel vehicles that ARE causing problems - they will share both of these attributes:

1) Euro 6b or NAS 6b emissions target for NOx.
    2) A DPF (or SCRF) not attached to the turbo-charger outlet.

So the Discovery 2.0 Ingenium diesel is excluded because, like the Jaguar F-Pace and the XE/XF, its DPF is attached directly to the turbo.
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

Affected vehicles?

16MY, 17MY, 18MY 2.0L diesel Discovery Sport and Evoque complying with Eu 6b/NAS 6b
    16MY, 17MY, 18MY TDV6 Range Rover and Range Rover Sport complying with Eu 6b/NAS 6b
    17MY, 18MY Discovery TDV6 complying with Eu 6b/NAS 6b

Upwards of 200,000 diesels in Europe.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 

So to clarify, it doesn't affect the D5 240 2.0? if that is the case then posts relating to the Ingenium and the FIO seem pretty irrelevant to me. Confused
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum