Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

So visited the dealership with my car yesterday morning, after the service notification popped up at 1800 miles.

I decided to wait for the car, only took an hour or so, gave me time to take a look around at the cars on display. Love the new RR Sport, don't like the Jaguar F-Pace! Very Happy

Anyway, I found out they replaced the oil filter and fuel filter, plus reset the service interval. Mine was the 56th, D5 they have needed to do this to (this dealership anyway). They went on about the oil dilution issue and so on - Think I probably knew more than they did TBH.

MY18 Corris Grey HSE Lux TDV6
  • LukasW
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I hoped I'd stay away from this thread. I should have known (LR) better Laughing:

8325 km (5172 mi) on the clock, 1000 km (621 mi) to the next oil service. But the distance is falling like a stone recently, from over 7000 to 1000 km in like 3 weeks and about 1000 km actually travelled, no change in driving habits.

Just wondering if there are people who made it near the advertised distance for oil service as per official service schedule (26 000 km/16 000 mi) and what is the supposed driving style that allows reaching it?

Also confirm haven't noticed the green DPF light (successful regen) flashing ever so far.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

rogersmj wrote:
    So visited the dealership with my car yesterday morning, after the service notification popped up at 1800 miles.

I decided to wait for the car, only took an hour or so, gave me time to take a look around at the cars on display. Love the new RR Sport, don't like the Jaguar F-Pace! Very Happy

Anyway, I found out they replaced the oil filter and fuel filter, plus reset the service interval. Mine was the 56th, D5 they have needed to do this to (this dealership anyway). They went on about the oil dilution issue and so on - Think I probably knew more than they did TBH.

My dealer was quiet about it this time - I don't think they know very much either. They plug the car in, and JLR's computers tell them what to do. Kind of like HAL 9000.

They performed the following updates:
    N025NAS2 - Independent Oil Dilution Counter Reset - "message may display at a distance less than shown in the service interval plans" (oil being independently analyzed as we speak - will see what that says...my oil life is currently at 15,863miles, will see how that changes over the next couple weeks)
    N118NAS3 - "Service Required" Message Not Displayed/Service Reset Function Not Working - instrument cluster update (fix, doesn't seem like any new functionality)
    N135NAS2 - Air Suspension/Adaptive Damping Warning Message - "chassis control module reconfigure"
    N141NAS1 - Suspension Air Supply Unit Expansion Chamber- air suspension air supply unit renewal - new silencer, new compressor valve and connector
    N151NAS2 - HVAC Control Module Update - automatic temp control module update - a pressure sensing valve may become stuck.
  • SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Well this has happened to me with only 2400 miles on the clock says service required in 900 miles šŸ˜³ so booked it in with Farnell Bury but got to wait 3 weeks if I want a courtesy car šŸ™„
    So hopefully sorted in the day for that fault along with what sounds like a noisy pulley on tick over any body else had this one ?
    Cheers
    Sharks
    Thumbs Up
  • LukasW
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

So here we are, next oil service required in 0 km, 8552 km (5314 mi) on the clock.

Over the telephone, the service is of the opinion that it's a false alarm and the car only needs a SW patch. I lived under the impression that the N025/N118 patches have been applied to the vehicle already when it was there for the DEF refill (they certainly did the tow bar patch as evidenced by the new bezel around the tow bar buttons in the boot). TOPIx shows no new field action, so they either did not administer the updates the last time or it's just a wishful thinking on their part.
  • winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

Mine is just back from the dealer having had all these software updates, and they don't make any difference clearly.

39 miles since the service, and the service interval has dropped 850 miles. Think it's time to simply start to ignore the warnings. The service interval literature is pretty clear from a legal challenge perspective.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

LukasW wrote:
    So here we are, next oil service required in 0 km, 8552 km (5314 mi) on the clock.

Over the telephone, the service is of the opinion that it's a false alarm and the car only needs a SW patch. I lived under the impression that the N025/N118 patches have been applied to the vehicle already when it was there for the DEF refill (they certainly did the tow bar patch as evidenced by the new bezel around the tow bar buttons in the boot). TOPIx shows no new field action, so they either did not administer the updates the last time or it's just a wishful thinking on their part.

Get your oil independently tested. In the US I use Blackstone Labs (www.blackstone-labs.com) . I'm sure there are some good labs in the UK and EU that can do the testing. It's $38 per sample for me, so not terribly expensive.

Love your DEF range - best mine ever shows after a full refill is something like 5600 miles - I'd take an extra 1,000 miles if it was believable. But DEF is cheap.
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

UK owners should contact Millers Oils of Brighouse, Yorkshire who offer an excellent service with diesel dilution reported to 1 decimal place.

Oil tests cost Ā£30 for one sample (Premium Kit Part No. 75522), Ā£40 for two (Advanced Kit Part No. 75678). Postage and packaging materials are included in the kit.

Also needed is a 100 ml syringe and 1m of plastic pipe to get the oil sample out of the dip-stick tube. See https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/kingscientific or visit your local pharmacist.

Edited to add link https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Medical-Syr...nav=SEARCH

Last edited by VeryDisco5 on 2nd Jun 2018 9:25 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Mines done 2750 miles and itā€™s in for the 2nd time next week, blown thro 16,000 miles service in two months or 1,750 odd miles.

Thatā€™s gonna require me getting the veh serviced whilst on Holiday in Southern Spain early July. Weā€™re there for 4 weeks and driving down so should make for interesting reading. It usually puts about 5K on the clock. 2K miles each way, then pootling about. So at the current rate of attrition Iā€™ll have had 5 services in 7:5K miles. Isnā€™t that supposed to last over 5 years.

I wouldnā€™t mind but I bought the bloody thing with the picture of the family all on our Jollies driving down to Spain as weā€™ve done for the past 7 years. Not one of the previous vehs has required interim services.
    I had it done thinking Iā€™d get some extended life out of the Oil it was dropping like a stone. Since the weathers warmed up itā€™s absolutely killed the service indicator. Iā€™ve been on Zero with hazard light and service now for past 300 miles, apparently this is of NO detriment to the engine ?
    So it either needs a service / Oil change because of dilution or it doesnā€™t. If it doesnā€™t as they suggest over the phone then Iā€™m quite happy to run it until it hits 16,000 miles and then get the oil checked by millers. Iā€™ll be asking for something in writing when it goes injustvin case it all goes pop inside the first 3 years.

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I think your car's engine might be craving for a long run to Spain and back!

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

It only ever does motorway miles, 120 miles each way to work and back every other week.

Every other car Iā€™ve used has managed to complete this journey for more than two months without getting itself confused, including a D3 for 7 years, a Disco Sport, a Touareg that had the SCR Adblu tech,

If it needed a five thousand mile round trip every week to keep it running as intended then I doubt no one on this forum would have bought one just like no one would have bought one if it was advertised as having required a service at two months or two thousand miles, I know for a fact that I certainly would have not bothered.

• Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

Oil and filer Yesterday, Service interval re set. Drppped from 16K to 5900 in the space of 89 miles, straight run up the A1.

Drove 25 miles this morning, it's dropped to 4500.

Still not looking like anythings sorted. Theyr'e on about fitting some tecnology into my car to asses my driving style ? i offered them my Log In to In Control so they can see my journeys, speed etc. I challenged their over revving theory as it's automatic ? so its not like i can hand on in first till it's squeeling like a pig.

It changes gear as set by their parameters.

On the plus side it feels a lot perkier than it did prior to the dealers. They've updated some software ? but i specifically asked to NOT have the phase 3 update.

• Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Has anyone rejected their car over this very annoying ā€œfeatureā€ ??
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

Whistle

Watch this space...

• DieselRanger
    United States 

Chalkys HSE wrote:
    Oil and filer Yesterday, Service interval re set. Drppped from 16K to 5900 in the space of 89 miles, straight run up the A1.

Drove 25 miles this morning, it's dropped to 4500.

Still not looking like anythings sorted. Theyr'e on about fitting some tecnology into my car to asses my driving style ? i offered them my Log In to In Control so they can see my journeys, speed etc. I challenged their over revving theory as it's automatic ? so its not like i can hand on in first till it's squeeling like a pig.

It changes gear as set by their parameters.

On the plus side it feels a lot perkier than it did prior to the dealers. They've updated some software ? but i specifically asked to NOT have the phase 3 update.

Chalky -

You can use the paddles to keep it in gear to keep the revs high and heat up the exhaust for passive regeneration if you like, but this would in theory reduce the problem not enhance it.

I'll post my oil analysis in a bit.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum