Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• samyil
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Carpathian Grey

3300miles and service now due. Dealer said 'its just a software issue'.
    Car is in tomorrow so will see what they say or do. I have a service plan.
    Will they check oil dilution??
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Samyil, if your D5 is aV6D 18MY vehicle its not a software issue, it will be down to oil dilution and will require an oil and filter change, typical mileage to first oil change due to dilution seems to be around 5000miles but will depend on "driving style"

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

samyil wrote:
    3300miles and service now due. Dealer said 'its just a software issue'.
    Car is in tomorrow so will see what they say or do. I have a service plan.
    Will they check oil dilution??

The car records the estimated diesel dilution in the SDD having calculated it from the regeneration events and this is accessible by the dealer using the Service reset menu. But this is only ever a "best estimate" of the "actual" dilution of the oil and only a laboratory test can provide the true figure. It's important to recognise as well that this algorithm has been shown to both under- and over- estimate the dilution. This means that at one extreme some engines could be being exposed to poor lubrication which goes undetected - at the other, a lot of people could be having unnecessary oil changes because the Service request has triggered inappropriately (see Diesel Ranger's oil report above for an example).

Nevertheless, any dealer who casually dismisses the service request as a "software issue" is being negligent because yours might actually be the one that needs its oil changing. Common sense dictates that they have to err on the side of caution until the software is known to be 100% reliable.

Last edited by VeryDisco5 on 28th Jun 2018 7:48 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I was told exactly the same thing by my dealer, Oil dilution at 7.2% and that it was due to a software issue, that it needed Oil and filter, no mention about Free of charge because of a service pack, it’s their fault the problem exists in the first place. So outside of the service pack the dilution issue remains and the Oul can either be changed at their expense or I’d leave it in until the 16,000 mike mark where by it could reach much higher percentages resulting in some serious issues.

At the end of the day the vehicle is warrantied up until the 3 year point. So from my perspective it’s change it at the expense of the manufacturer or leave it in.

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • HSEMY18
    United Kingdom 

Dealer confirmed that it would not come off the services in the service pack - otherwise I would have complained.
  • samyil
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Carpathian Grey

So to update, oil was changed, as above, this is not coming off my service pack.
    Also had phase 4 update to infotainment system. Other than a different front page, I'm not sure of the difference yet, but not had much time to test.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

EMcC wrote:
    J77 wrote:
    No service warnings on my dash but checking the service menu it needs a oil service in 1700 miles, making its first service interval 5000 miles. I’ve emailed my dealer and waiting for there reply.

Just checked mine and it says mine is due a service in 5000 time !! I've had it less than two months and only done 1500 miles !!!!

I e mailed the dealer that sold me my vehicle and made him aware of my mileage and the service readout stating that I need a service in another 5000 miles but have had no reply yet.
    Should I be worried ?
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 

Nothing to worry about, but expect to use up the mileage in a 2-3 ratio so the service will actually come up in roughly 2000 to 2500 miles based on my experience.

• EMcC
    United Kingdom 

Surely there must be something wrong as it has only done less than 2k from new !!
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 

Nothing wrong, welcome to the V6D oil dilution club, avg mileage seems to be 4-5000 miles to reach predicted 6% dilution, at which time it needs an oil and filter change.

• Mightymildred
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

So mine went in Tuesday for the oil filter and change.
    It's a month old....
    So.... am I going to need an oil change and filter replacement every month? If so that for me is unsustainable. The car will have to go back. Surely I can't be expected to have this level of work done on a monthly basis?!!?!!!
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 

I suspect you'll be back at least every 2 months maybe more often, keep an eye on distance to next service and see how quickly it will come down.

• DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Ok, so compare this "virgin" (i.e., from a presumably factory-sealed dealer-fresh bottle) analysis to my earlier post of my used sample:

-----------------Virgin oil-----Used oil (est 6.1% dilution)-----Actual dilution%
    100C Viscosity-------8.93-----------8.70-----------------------3.0%
    TBN-----------------4.3-------------2.4

The product data sheet for Castrol Edge ACEA C1 5W30 STJLR.03.5003 lists 100C viscosity as 9.7 average, within manufacturing tolerances. I don't know what Castrol's manufacturing tolerance should be, but nearly 8% variation seems a bit...loose. On the other hand, my used sample viscosity had only been reduced 2.5% as compared to the virgin sample.

My lab has asked for a second virgin sample to test for free...I have a second unopened quart but I think it's of the same lot, or at least came from the same case, so I'll buy another quart from another dealer and send that in.

What does this mean? If indeed the starting viscosity and TBN (a measure of additive life) are low, then the lower numbers I saw in my sample, plus a measure of dilution below the estimated 6.1%, may mean the oil had approximately 50% of its life left when I had it changed at 4,675 miles from fresh and 0 miles of indicated oil life remaining.

That's still a bit short of the 15,000 mile quoted interval, but much closer to the 10,000 miles other manufacturers list as their recommended interval for diesel engines with a DPF.

I've put on about 1500-2000 miles in the last month or so with summer road trips and some off-roading, and so far my oil life is decreasing quickly, but more slowly than previously. I have another 2,000 miles of road trip driving this month coming up, so after that I'll probably send in another sample to see where I'm at regardless of oil life remaining.
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

The oil is unlikely to be the wrong viscosity. I had some "clean" Castrol Edge Professional 0W30 oil (STJLR.03.5003) analysed by Millers last July and it almost perfectly matched the 9.7 cSt 100 deg viscosity.

Sorry about the resolution. Does anyone know how to avoid images being reduced to a thumbnail?

Last edited by VeryDisco5 on 3rd Jul 2018 6:19 pm. Edited 2 times in total
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

@VeryDisco5 - Try this: at the beginning of the "img" code, do this:

img:658:600 - this will resize your image to 658 by 600 pixels - you may play around with the ratio and size - that's what works for how I cropped mine.

Here's my "virgin" report:

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by DieselRanger on 3rd Jul 2018 6:44 pm. Edited 4 times in total
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum