Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

Download the full size oil report here: https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6132
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

That's 0W30 - is that the correct report?

The oil used for the 3.0L is 5W30.
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

The JLR specification for the 0W30 is actually STJLR.03.5007, therefore, I agree it's not a 100% match. The cold cranking pressure ratings (0W vs 5W) are slightly different but both are SAE30 oils so should have a minimum viscosity of 9.3 cSt.at 100 degrees.
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Just another to add to the list.

Current Disco 5 with service dept for long running fault. Given a loan car - 18 reg / MY Vogue SE with 3 litre engine. 3000 miles on clock. Got home and message 'service required in 1000 miles' appeared on dash.

Oh well - at least it is not mine! - and yes, mine is also a TDV6. Doh!
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

VeryDisco5 wrote:
    The JLR specification for the 0W30 is actually STJLR.03.5007, therefore, I agree it's not a 100% match. The cold cranking pressure ratings (0W vs 5W) are slightly different but both are SAE30 oils so should have a minimum viscosity of 9.3 cSt.at 100 degrees.

In further conversations with Blackstone Labs, they stated they have tested other samples of this oil and have seen a higher viscosity, hence the desire to test another sample. Their lab testing variance is under 3%.

Unless they dorked up the testing, if the oil I bought from the dealer is indeed from a bad batch, it doesn't give me a lot of confidence in this particular Castrol formulation or in wherever JLR is sourcing it for their US dealer network.
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

On the subject of oil viscosity, one DS owner has been running a much heavier Mobil Delvac 5W40 oil (15 cSt when fresh) and appears to be getting significantly lower dilution than the average, judging by this report. Perhaps it makes a more robust oil film, or maybe it resists the adsorption better due to additives, Whatever the reason, you can't argue with the results: a mere 1% dilution is not to be sniffed at after more than 5,000 km and extrapolates to 20,000 miles between services assuming we go with JLR's 6.1% trigger. Just a thought...

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtop...=60#p92381
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Visited my LR dealer yesterday and brought this subject up, he mentioned 'oil dilution' immediately and sent me to the booking clerk for it to be sorted.
    However when I spoke to the booking clerk, a very young looking lad, and mentioned about booking it in for an oil and filter change he immediately said "no, it will be a software problem and will be up dated " !!
    So waiting for a date now to see what happens ;-(
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Software update is likely the one they gave me - NO25, described as:
    "SITUATION: An issue has been identified on certain vehicles within the listed Affected Vehicle Range where depending on the type and style of driving that the vehicle is subjected to, the 'Service Required' message may be displayed on the Instrument Cluster (IC) at a distance less than that shown in the service interval plans.

"The software update within the Diagnostic Procedures will separate the oil dilution counter from the
    time and distance service counter, allowing individual counter resets to be applied depending on the
    type of service completed."

I've been doing a ton of Interstate road trips lately, including a 750mi round trip and several in the 130+ mile round trip range including mountain driving and offroading, and while my interval is falling faster than 1:1 it's falling much more slowly than it was. Hard to tell whether it's a function of driving style or the update but maybe a little of both. I have a 2,600 mile total trip starting next week, majority will be on Interstates. That will put me about where I was at my last oil change in terms of miles on this oil, so I'll have it tested then regardless of service counter.
  • HDFB110
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

10,700 miles on the clock- warning came up saying service due in 800 miles.
    100 miles later - service due 'now' no miles ????
    Car has already been serviced at 4500 & 7800.

OK - I don't do a high millage, but due to work use I do record my trips - since the last service 1400 miles have been on motorways - the rest an average of 12 miles each way to work.
    So not too bad an average of use.

During the last services I have been told that all the software is up to date, all the bug fixes done.
    To be honest I know the software is not the very latest - I still have a '4x4' icon on the main menu.

Car is booked in for 24 July - the soonest they can get me in.

So fed up now I have rung the JLR customer service number & logged an official vehicle complaint.
    They have said that they may well send a technician to the dealer whilst my car is in.
    To be honest I don't hold out much hope but it made me feel better to complain to JLR = not just the local dealer.

Overall 10800 miles & needing 3 services is pitiful.
    Either there is something seriously wrong with my car/engine or there is a chronic level of incompetence at the dealer.

Have to wait now till the 24th to see.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

Mine is having a laugh now Wink
    yesterday the dashboard on start up said service due in 600 miles. In the digital programmes it said 900 and this morning dashboard on start up said 900 and digital read out now says 1200 !!!!!!
    I don't take any notice of the adblue reading as that is ridiculous, goes from 2000 to 4000 then back to 1000 - makes no sense at all.
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

I think a few people are considering rejecting their vehicles over this. Though haven’t heard any success stories yet ..........
  • HDFB110
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Adblue - I've not yet added any - haven't had to - each time the car has been serviced the dealer has topped the adblue up.
    So have no idea how much i'm using or what the consumption is.

Yes - I don't know at what point you (we, I) have enough evidence to 'reject' a car.

I am keeping close record of everything that has happened as one day the car might have a serious breakdown or failure where I might have a more serious case to take to JLR.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

Mine hasn't had a service yet and is a long way off, I only bought it new in April Sad

Friday 20th - Not long been back from the LR dealer in Yeovil, took a long way round coming back to miss the 'Stonehenge Blockage' that is a Friday and Sunday evening event every week-end throughout the Summer.
    My Vehicle only needed a 'Software Update' to sort out the false readings for servicing.
    The report states 'Re-set service Indicator, Oil dilution @ 5.1% No oil or filter required'
    Anybody know what the reference to the oil % means and if it is a dilution with something, what and how did that happen ?
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I've basically ignored my indicator, had it changed at 2,700 miles, it dropped like a stone there after and needed servicing again 850 miles ago. its under 5K miles now.

No one at JLR seems to give a hoot, as far as they are concerned the problem doesn't even exist. Every time i speak to them it's like ground hog day, I'm off to Spain in a week, 5K mile round trip if the engine lasts that long.
    The dealer basically said that the last Oil change was merely a formality, a box ticking excercise and that it was just a false reading from a sensor. I was told that everything was up to date, That said my Oil was at 9.3% or something ? so they changed it? not sure why if it is merely a formality.

The chance as far as i'm concerned was there for them to rectify and as far as i'm concerned tey have, i'm taking their expert opinion and not taking any notice of the faulty sensor.

So i'm running it for the 16K miles as advertised. I bought it ion that proviso as advertised, If there is a problem i'm sure they will tell me. but they havent and arent interested, I'm trying to tell them but they aren't bothered so i don't see why i should be. I've got another 2 years 8 months on the warranty.

Sod it !

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • Bigwhiteone
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Yulong White

Service Required

I managed 4,060 miles when the Service Required warning came on. I was in Croatia at the time! I also had the Ad Blue warning. With a Land Rover 5 year service plan I assumed any Land Rover dealership in Europe would cover the ad blue top up? Nope. Despite phoning my dealer who assured me any dealership would. It transpires that Land Rover do not fill up the ad blue tank from new, cost me 85 Euro to fill 14 litres.

Just got home & took my car to my local dealer who replaced the oil & filter (credit to them they didn’t quibble). But I’m frustrated to be told that if I dare to tow a caravan on holiday I can expect the service intervals to drop considerably. Going to write to Land Rover & ask how this might impact on my service contract?
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum