Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Worth bearing in mind, 17 &18my I4D in UK are 240 bhp and 500Nm torque, at 19My peak power stays same but torque drops to 430Nm due to having to meet new emissions standards.
    I4d in D5 in Uk is twin turbo, were as the Disco sport from couple years ago will only be single turbo with 180bhp and 420Nm torque.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

You are right but one thing:

The Disco Sport 180 bhp engine with a single turbo does also deliver 430 nm torque (MY 16-1Cool. Not 420 nm as you wrote.

Greets,
    Hauser

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • CEEGEE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I went the for the Carpathian 3ltr and I absolutely love it Thumbs Up
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

3.0l

Sorry but there's simply no comparison...

We had a 2.0L for 7 weeks and now collected our 3.0L HSE dynamic today and it's just so much quieter...so smooth..just purrs along.
    Considerably quicker off the mark....well as much as only 30 miles on the clock will allow😎
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Apples and pears ....we all know the V6 is smoother so that is no surprise and there' s no need to be sorry Laughing
  • whited3

I've got the HSE 2L which does everything it needs to do well. I had the 3L for a day when the car was in for the phase 4 update. The 3 is definitely the go (smoother, quieter, more like the SDV6 I had previously) and if I had my time again I'd trade off some of the less important options I have (drive pro, HUD, TPMS, 7 seats) against the additional cost of the 3.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 

I've been with the V6 since 2004 in both D3/4 guises ..fancied a change ...away from an engine that has it's issues both visible and invisible.....more importantly it will be dead in less than 18 months. You can keep it Smile
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 

i will.. Laughing

the question is where have you gone to? Laughing not a lot of option. Rolling Eyes
  • solihull
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I am with DG, I like the 2.0 Ingenium Diesel. After owning a D3 and D4 and pretty much knowing every inch of those 3.0 engines, I went for the 2.0 mainly because of the increased economy (38mpg over 30k miles) and some amazing results, see photo from my trip on Friday. The economy gets better after 20k miles which you would expect

Also the car has a better weight distribution because the Ingenium is lighter. I don't tow but I do offroad and I have to say my D5 is every bit as good if not better than the D4 offroad.

Mine has been 100% reliable and no oil dilution issues.

But things I don't like: Infotainment/Satnav has been very erratic until the latest update which seems to have fixed most things except the rear camera which more often than not doesn't work. And all the adblue it needs.

I dont know what else on the market competes properly with the D5. I have tried others but keep coming back Rolling with laughter
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 

Impressed with that MPG!
    never got anything like that in our DS Ingenium 2.0L. (one of the first out of Brum)

only thing is wait till the Ingenium 2.0L is 3 years old...

The noise levels gradually increased over its liftime culminating in a 6 week week stint at the dealer with Landrover UK trying to figure out what was up,They eventually swapped the timing chain but wasn't convinced it made a lot of difference. This was after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing with LR UK Technical.

(the put us in a 2.0L d5 HSE Lux with loads of extras for 7 weeks so we didn't complain) Laughing

So good luck, but its not an engine i would ever own again certainly not in a car bigger and heavier than the DS.

But hey thats only my opinion! Smile
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

DG and Solihull ^+1 Thumbs Up

The 2lt is the engine to have. No inherent problem unlike the 3lt and punchy and smooth enough for most. It’s a good engine!
  • solihull
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

LancsLad - What was the mileage on your car? Mine is at 30k and we are ok for now. I have used ours hard, with a few hard off road trips, a couple of trips to southern Spain and a couple of trips through fords etc.

Forgot to mention some of the 3,0 issues which pushed me towards the 2,0 - I hated the dead spots, enter a roundabout, press the accelerator and nothing, then a sudden woosh of power, many D3 and D4 owners will know exactly what I am talking about. Also the gears 'clonking' as you slowed down quickly. These may not be issues in the 3.0 D5 and certainly do not feature in the 2.0

Maybe I got one of the few good ones!
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 

53K so not massive mileage either.

maybe we just had a "bad one" Question
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Dangerdave wrote:
    DG and Solihull ^+1 Thumbs Up

The 2lt is the engine to have. No inherent problem unlike the 3lt and punchy and smooth enough for most. It’s a good engine!

Really? How are your balance shafts doing? Wink
    Anyone dared to do an oil analysis? Very Happy

Greets,
    Hauser

P.s. Don't get too mad plz, just poking the sleeping dragon. Very Happy

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • DG
    United Kingdom 

Wrong motor Whistle
  • Forum Permissions