Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Labbix

If this was the only issue with the car... but for me it’s more a + + + thing. How many days have we already lost going and waiting in / for the dealership? Quite a bit more than with my D4 to be honest
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Probably should have posted this here...

Well my D5 is back from the dealers - they had it 2 weeks, and mainly were waiting on LR for instruction.
    Having found a section of the exhaust in the rear with a pin hole in a weld, LR advised this may be the cause, and instructed the dealer to replaced the rear half of the exhaust.....

I have had the car back 5 days, driven 200 miles, and the distance to next oil service has dropped by 100 miles., whilst this looks promising, it is far to early to extrapolate this out and conclude it is fixed.

Hope it is, as I love the car, if it isn’t, RR Velar D240 here I come....
  • LukasW
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

So hit 'Oil service in 0 km' for the second time at about 17000 km (10536 mi).

The car requested its first early oil service this June at about 8500 km (5283 mi), the dealer's reply was no worries, just a SW problem, applied a patch (took about 15 min only!), upon insisting what patch (no field actions on topix at the time for the VIN) the technician admitted, the patch had been withdrawn by LR in the meantime, but he was still able to apply it anyway (don't remember if N025 or N118). The result: 'the oil service due in 26000 km' in the instrument cluster. So the "patch" turned out to be most likely a mere counter reset.

Btw the technician issued no receipt on what had been done as 'everything is in the digital log'.

I left very unconvinced and full of suspicion that only grew stronger later.

Despite the initially promising slow pace of the countdown, the counter went on its second plunge to 0 at about 3:1 - 4:1 pace relative to the actual distance travelled shortly.

In late August the car was to do an about 3500 km long roundtrip to sw France (mostly motorways), as the counter might well hit 0 again during the trip, as precaution I contacted the service, the reply was: no need to worry, just a SW problem, just drive with 0 for as many kms as you need.

The counter reached 0 shortly after the trip, motorway driving notwithstanding.

So to the service we go again, the car was due there in September anyway to repair some scratches it got in a minor car park accident, so it was booked there for 4 days. On handover I asked the technician VERY emphatically to look at the oil dillution issue and to give me a convincing answer how the issue can be remedied. At the time the technician still suggested it's surely just a SW issue.

On pickup day I got a call that they did the paintjob, but they may well not be able to finish "the other things" on time because the assigned technician fell sick as did several other technicians, because some sudden epidemy broke out on the premises of the dealership and they are short of people, but no worry it certainly is no big issue, just a sw glitch! As I wasn't content with this proposition (+ restating that I expect a definite answer what they can do about it) the guy I spoke to now agreed they would look at it after all, but need a couple more hours.

A couple more hours later, at handover desk yet another technician: 'sorry, the guy you spoke to earlier today is unfortunately not available atm, here's your car, and sorry we just had time to do the paintjob.'

AN ALL CAPS INTERROGATION ENSUED (I really was p****d off).

Initially the conversation was along the lines of the dead parrot sketch, but after a lot of hesitation the guy finally admitted they know about the issue, it affects many if not all 3.0L diesels (not sure about SDVs though), but they are basically left in the cold by JLR, no info how to deal with it, or whether any patch or any other corrective action is coming or at least worked on, other than to try to convince the customer the problem does not exist, or that HE is the problem (aka driving style), and talk him to pay for the extra oil service, and if he is too assertive to give him the extra oil service for free as a 'courtesy'. That is pretty much as per the JLRP00100 mentioned on this thread. Horrendous.

Honestly, this is what I suspected all the time, but could not believe any sensible company would pursue such an obviously disastrous contingency policy for its own f*ck-up. Even VW cheated the authorities and not its own customers, at least not directly.

I really can't see this ending in any other way than hugely backfiring at JLR in the form of car rejections, class action lawsuits, lost sales due to reputation sinking further etc., unless they come with a real solution quickly!

Btw for the time being this thread should go to "Faults no Fixes" section of the forum.

TLDR: All the techs I spoke to upon realising I know about the issue went into hiding, the poor chap handing the car back over admitted all they can do is to change the oil at your own expense, or at theirs if you press them hard. Known issue, but not admitted officially. No patch coming they were aware of. I'm Censored off.

Last edited by LukasW on 4th Oct 2018 2:39 pm. Edited 2 times in total
  • Labbix

+1
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

LukasW wrote:
    So hit 'Oil service in 0 km' for the second time at about 17000 km (10536 mi).

[...]

TLDR: All the techs I spoke to upon realising I know about the issue went into hiding, the poor chap handing the car back over admitted all they can do is to change the oil at your own expense, or at theirs if you press them hard. Known issue, but not admitted officially. No patch coming they were aware of. I'm Censored off.

I can't emphasize this enough. LR won't know whether or what the problem is until they are presented with evidence of one in the form of independent oil analysis results from frustrated but educated customers.

Test your oil every time it reaches zero and send them the results.

Either we all end up getting free intermediate oil changes for our warranty period, or it's revealed to be a non-issue that they eventually fix via software. Seems on mine it's the latter, but I think it's still a bit early to tell.
  • LukasW
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I still hope LR does not expect its customers to do the troubleshooting on its behalf. However I now plan to have the oil tested just in case (pun intended).
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Right now there's no incentive for them to order dealers to test the oil themselves...they believe it's a "driving style" problem. Presenting testing results may convince them to consider other causes. Typical engineer bias - "I designed it correctly, the user is using it wrong."
  • Bigwhiteone
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Yulong White

Might be good news on oil dilution problem

I had an oil dilution problem after 3,900 miles - in my case I got as far as Croatia when the warning light came on. To cut along story short,, and after a series of torrid conversations with JLR Customer Services, and taking legal opinion on returning the car, my dealer really got hold of JLR who it appears have come up with a fix.

There is a major software and systems upgrade (released October 2018) that ‘allegedly ‘ fixes the problem by changing the way the software measures the oil contamination and assess its continued viscosity: that’s the sum total of my technical capability completely exhausted. When upgrading the software your dealer should also change the filter and oil to recalibrate everything.

My dealer has been brilliant and restored my faith the JLR products. No charge for the upgrade as described. Obviously time will tell whether it actually works, but in coming forward with this solution there is clearly recognition by JLR that there is an underlying issue.

I only hope JLR Customer Services speak with JLR Technical and stop making the rediculas excuses shared in this prolonged thread ( I too had the full reportaire) and blaming us drivers for daring to use our cars.
  • Mightymildred
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

9000 miles and 3 oil services.
    Need I say more? There is NO fIX for this problem if you are affected by it.
  • samyil
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I've done 10k 3 oil changes. I complained to JLR, they told me to read the hand book and implied it is driving style. I told them I wasn't happy and to escalate my complaint. I'm worry about selling on after 3 years, anyone who researchs their cars before buying will not want a td6.
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

Bigwhiteone is correct.

I have just looked on Topix and there is a service bulletin N222 (issued 5/10/18 ) for TDV6 engines that requires a Powertrain Control Module update and an oil and filter change if the vehicle is below 75% of its next service interval.

Publication No.: N222
    Model: Discovery (LR)
    Model Year: 2018
    VIN Range: 030810 - 079568
    Model: Range Rover (LG)
    VIN Range: 360475 - 516163
    Model: Range Rover Sport (LW)
    VIN Range: 693135 - 813912
    Model: Range Rover Sport (LW)
    VIN Range: 163397 - 414420
    Date of Issue: 05/10/2018
    Expiry Date: 31/10/2020

Jon
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

SDV6 engine update.....

2500 miles driven in just over 1 month from new. Next service indicated to be due in 13650 miles.

Still looking on track for a routine first service at 16000 miles or 26000 km.

Will keep monitoring in case there is a sudden reduction in miles left over the next couple of thousand miles.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Labbix

Thx Jon!

My car goes in again this week, just emailed my dealer with this info and asked his confirmation.
  • Labbix

Samyil
    That’s why I take pics of my dash with done km and left to service and average speed. As my dealer told me it wouldn’t happen when you do mainly highway traffic, which I do...
    I took pictures from the start, as before I bought the car, December 2017, I wrote them to ask about this specific problem. Their answer was there was no issue if you do highway traffic or go manually in high revs for some time... until now I cannot confirm what they told me, so I will definitely not pay for any oil and filter change out of the normal schedule.
  • samyil
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I do mainly long trips, I've average 500m per week, my commute is 12miles but 2-3 days a week I'm doing 2-300 miles. I've done many long trips in this car.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum