Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Labbix

My D4 had a twin turbo and thus a different setup, just like the new +300hp will have twin turbo. I suppose this setup was/is better and never gave the problems we face...
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

So, my D5 apparently has pin hole in the exhaust which LR believe may contribute / cause oil dilution, so am with the loan velar for the next 2 weeks. Not a problem, as I like it.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

How did they find it? Smoke test? Where was the pinhole - in the downpipe? Not sure how this would increase dilution unless somehow it results in the burning diesel fuel exiting the system before it gets to the DPF, in which case you would smell something every time it regenerated.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

The only way I can see that if you lose enough of the hot exhaust gasses so that whatever ends up at the DPF is not hot enough to regenerate the filter, or it could just take longer. And if it takes much longer, there will be more diesel injected for a longer period. But would a pinhole would be sufficient to have that effect?

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

D5: "GAAAH! Oil Dilution!" Lab: "No fuel in oil."

So my latest round of testing is interesting indeed. After 5,826 miles, 2,700+ of which were a cross-country road trip at highway speeds of 72-85mph, with other highway time as well, my service counter suddenly told me I had 650 miles of oil life left. Time also for my first "owniversary" service, so I pulled a sample and then let my dealer have the vehicle. They dutifully changed the oil, fuel filter, air filters, etc per schedule.

Then yesterday I received the results of the testing. I am floored. Less than 0.5% oil dilution. Wear metals all dropped, some by 50%, indicating break-in has probably completed.

I'll do one more round of testing - have already had one 300mi road trip with mountain driving and off-roading, will have another in September. I expect to need an oil change before Christmas. Well, to be accurate, I expect the Discovery to think it needs an oil change by then. If that comes back with similar results (two in a row now with significantly less than the 6.1% limit despite oil counter directing oil change), I will engage with Land Rover Customer Care directly and provide the evidence.

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by DieselRanger on 28th Aug 2018 6:04 pm. Edited 3 times in total
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

I have noticed my distance to service dropping much faster since I had my first service a few months ago. At that service an update was made to the software DR commented on the same thing if I recall.

Interestingly the dealer also put a Castrol next service due stickeron the windscreen, nice retro touch but quick maths tells me I would be 10000 km short of the previous service, The written estimate is looking close to where the software is predicting I will need a service.

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Re: D5: "GAAAH! Oil Dilution!" Lab: "No fuel in oil."

DieselRanger wrote:
    So my latest round of testing is interesting indeed. After 5,826 miles, 2,700+ of which were a cross-country road trip at highway speeds of 72-85mph, with other highway time as well, my service counter suddenly told me I had 650 miles of oil life left. Time also for my first "owniversary" service, so I pulled a sample and then let my dealer have the vehicle. They dutifully changed the oil, fuel filter, air filters, etc per schedule.

Then yesterday I received the results of the testing. I am floored. Less than 0.5% oil dilution. Wear metals all dropped, some by 50%, indicating break-in has probably completed.

I'll do one more round of testing - have already had one 300mi road trip with mountain driving and off-roading, will have another in September. I expect to need an oil change before Christmas. Well, to be accurate, I expect the Discovery to think it needs an oil change by then. If that comes back with similar results (two in a row now with significantly less than the 6.1% limit despite oil counter directing oil change), I will engage with Land Rover Customer Care directly and provide the evidence.

Interesting

I wonder what the pathfinder oil dilution figure was when you had the car serviced.
    Hopefully it was close to what your independent measure was
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Forgot to mention
    When my car said it needed a service after 2500 miles. Oil dilution according to LR was 6.1
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Re: D5: "GAAAH! Oil Dilution!" Lab: "No fuel in oil."

Pcheaven wrote:

Interesting

I wonder what the pathfinder oil dilution figure was when you had the car serviced.
    Hopefully it was close to what your independent measure was

What other oil quality measures does the vehicle estimate besides oil dilution in determining oil service life? Dilution by default affects viscosity, but the Disco does not have anything to directly measure viscosity, which is the single most important aspect of motor oil. Unless there's a hidden mass spectrometer in the oilpan somewhere, Pathfinder should only report what the vehicle estimates oil quality to be, which is how it calculates oil life - the dealer doesn't have a kit that does instant testing either. So if I received the notification that oil life was nearing its end, it should be because the estimated level of oil dilution has neared 6.1%, correct? Given that this time the vehicle thought I was 650 miles from reaching 6.1% dilution, I highly doubt it's because it thought I was going to go from less than 0.5% to 6.1% in effectively a few weeks of normal daily driving. NOBODY is having a service interval that short.

My previous oil change was due to dilution - the oil service interval was at zero and my SA did state that it was because of dilution. Yet testing revealed it had only reached 3.0% FIO.

I suspect the software is a bit conservative in its estimation and isn't effectively calibrated to dynamically adjust its estimation for driving style. I also believe Castrol has under-engineered their oil a bit. After my warranty expires in 85,000 miles or 5 more years, I'll be switching to Mobil 1 ESP 5W30, but in the mean time I may switch to the JLR-spec Ravenol and let it ride a bit longer between services.
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

DR that looks like good news but your second sample is not compliant with SAE 30; something has thinned it to 8.66 cSt which is well below the minimum value of 9.3. This oil starts nearer *10 when new.

Edited. *Castrol 5W-30 is 9.7 or 10.7. Castrol SAE30 Data Sheets

On the DS forum a good-sized sample oil results have been collated into a spreadsheet which can be downloaded from https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtop...=50#p87212 This SAE30 oil starts out at 9.7cSt and the results show a good correlation between dilution and viscosity. On average 3.3% diesel dilution equates to 8.97 cSt.

Last edited by VeryDisco5 on 29th Aug 2018 10:21 am. Edited 3 times in total
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Can anyone advise, do the changes to the 3 litre engine at MY2019 resolve the issue? Conscious no one probably has the vehicle to test it on yet, but is that the driver behind LR updating the engine?
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

It seems the engine has a second turbo (like the D4). If that is the only modification then I have my doubts that it fixes the issue.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

The problem is there on the Range Rover Sport which has this engine as standard.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

VeryDisco5 wrote:
    DR that looks like good news but your second sample is not compliant with SAE 30; something has thinned it to 8.66 cSt which is well below the minimum value of 9.3. This oil starts nearer *10 when new.

Yeah, my lab commented on that also. I gave them a virgin oil sample from that same lot and that sample *started* at a low viscosity and TBN, I still owe them another sample from a different lot. I think that was just a bad lot that escaped QC, which still concerns me for a company the size of Castrol.

Still, they did state that average virgin samples they've received for this oil from Castrol are always a bit low in viscosity and TBN, and they made some recommendations for other oils that have higher viscosity (within the industry average range for 5W30) and better TBN.
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

I wonder how many people are being put off buying a 3L diesel because of an oil dilution issue that looks like it does not exist?
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum