• Mightymildred
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

N222

Has anyone had this update fail yet?
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

What is N222, obviously an update but what does it entail and what indicates that it is required ?
  • Mightymildred
    United Kingdom 

Sorry...
    It’s the update for the early service warning / oil dilution.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

This discussion may be more effective here:

https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread732.html
  • Mightymildred
    United Kingdom 

DR- too much other discussion about OD/Early service warning.
    I havent got time to filter through general discussion.
    I’m interested only in failure of N222.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

What do you mean by fail?
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Why would it fail? It's not a Phase 4 18C software update.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Mightymildred wrote:
    DR- too much other discussion about OD/Early service warning.
    I havent got time to filter through general discussion.
    I’m interested only in failure of N222.

The issue that requires that update is discussed there. You'll have to keep an eye on that thread whether you post here or not.

In any case, I believe it's too new to know whether it will "fail," by which I assume you mean "will not solve the shortened service interval problem that may or may not be related to an actual fuel-in-oil issue."
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Just for info:

N222 is gone! It ended October 31st.
    As of November 1st there is N222v2. Don't know the differences though...

Greets,
    Hauser

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • Labbix

FYI, from my dealer, obviously no perfect English, but this is what I got:

- We performed campaign TDV6 Premature Service Required Message (N222v2). I have been in discussion with JLR as well. Please find below their response: " Distance to next service is variable. The system has 3 factors, and, based on them, calculate the distance to next service. Oil dilution, distance and days to next service are those 3 factors. Each of them are represents as a distance in kilometers. The most confusing thing is days are represents as [km]. System measure mileage on the vehicle within the time range. For example - customer normally drive 1000[km] per month. and based on this calculate distance to next maintenance to be just right in time (according to the general rules). For example maintenance has to be done in 10 months, so in 10 000 [km] (average) and displays this value, but if customer will suddenly change his driving style into 500 [km] per month, system then will calculate this, (and maintenance needed in 10 months), so will show 5000 [km] to next maintenance.
    This informations are basics for this system. I assume that this calculations are not made every ignition cycle. As it is not very important information.
    If exists any message, please look at N222v2 service action (which is done already).
    To recapitulate, I don't think this is the real concern - from technical point of view this system works properly. No actions needed ".
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Haven't LR heard of the KISS principle for software? How hard would it be to use a countdown from 26,000km (or 16,000m) according to what is actually driven. And separately a date check, 12 months from last service? Then either display the next service in distance when you get close to 0, or in weeks to the date. Whichever comes first.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Ed Snow
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Scotia Grey

Labbix,

Re post of what Jon B50int said elsewhere:

I have just looked on Topix and there is a service bulletin N222 (issued 5/10/18 ) for TDV6 engines that requires a Powertrain Control Module update and an oil and filter change if the vehicle is below 75% of its next service interval.

Publication No.: N222
    Model: Discovery (LR)
    Model Year: 2018
    VIN Range: 030810 - 079568
    Model: Range Rover (LG)
    VIN Range: 360475 - 516163
    Model: Range Rover Sport (LW)
    VIN Range: 693135 - 813912
    Model: Range Rover Sport (LW)
    VIN Range: 163397 - 414420
    Date of Issue: 05/10/2018
    Expiry Date: 31/10/2020

Maybe someone has a full Topix subscription can tell us if N222v2 is for more models?
  • Labbix

Wonder what the difference is than between the M17 and MY18 Td6, I thought they were the same (maybe with different software, but same engine, power and torque)?
    Apparently not, so I guess JLR thinks they can ‘fix’ it for the MY18 with software, fixed it for the MY19 (with soft-and/or hardware), and leave the MY17 lonely in the desert...
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

IndusD4 wrote:
    Haven't LR heard of the KISS principle for software? How hard would it be to use a countdown from 26,000km (or 16,000m) according to what is actually driven. And separately a date check, 12 months from last service? Then either display the next service in distance when you get close to 0, or in weeks to the date. Whichever comes first.

I think one reason is that they want to exorcise the demons of the past with respect to reliability and logevity, and since post injection, over time, *does* cause oil dilution and over time that will shorten the life of the engine, they added an estimation of the dilution based on some calculations that correlate to driving style.

What puzzles me is that they didn't just add $150-200 per vehicle and incorporate one of the available sensors that directly measure oil viscosity. It's not like these are Hondas or Kias - even if it was $500 per vehicle their target clientele would not care, or probably even notice.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum