Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• samyil
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Carpathian Grey

• simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

How can it not utilise the whole screen ? ACP does and even allows you to customise the icon layout,

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • samyil
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Google is useful but I prefer the LandRover display. Google look a bit childish
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

simonh wrote:
    How can it not utilise the whole screen ? ACP does and even allows you to customise the icon layout,

I believe Google needs to update AA to allow native scaling to width. That's not as simple an update, probably.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Glad I have an iPhone. Too much hardware and OS segmentation on Android. Makes things like this hard to do.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Android Auto is Google and its development is managed the same way as Apple - there's an SDK "owned" by Google and a specification for apps to be integrated. All the apps work brilliantly, as does Google Assistant.

This is just a coding decision on the part of Google developers. Apple made that decision earlier, that's all - just like Android Auto made the choice to go wireless before Apple did.

And Waze, which many people can't live without now, came out of Android's open approach vs. Apple's walled-garden approach, and it's free on Android. And all the other apps that I use on Android are free, save one.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Yes I know this. But what I say is still fact. Google licence the OS. Phone manufacturers build the hardware however they want and add their own flavour and support for their hardware. Makes developing new software using the latest OS features hard for all Android handsets.

My work phone (SONY) is only 2 years old. It can’t be updated to the last 2 versions of Android becuase the manufacturer hasn’t blessed it. Even interim updates for what it’s running now weren’t available. Means it’s locked out of anything new added by Google to the core OS.

My wife’s iPhone 6S is from 2015 and runs the current iOS and can take advantage of all the new OS offers.

A walled garden of hardware and OS from the same manufacturer can be beneficial to users Wink

https://bgr.com/2018/11/01/android-pie-vs-...still-bad/

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

To each his own I suppose.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum