Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• MAC OSX
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

Trailer detection system.

It seems that later D5s can detect presence of trailer fitted with LED lights.
    Is this due to a SOFTWARE or HARDWARE upgrade?
    If SOFTWARE can a dealer impliment this upgrade?
    If HARDWARE can the detector unit be changed for the later version?
    In the latter case perhaps someone in the know could advise the unit part number for the later version.
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

I am pretty sure nothing on the hardware or software has changed to make the car detect lower threshold LEDs. The owners manual detection limits have been the same since launch.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Re: Trailer detection system.

MAC OSX wrote:
    It seems that later D5s can detect presence of trailer fitted with LED lights.
    Is this due to a SOFTWARE or HARDWARE upgrade?

Yes you are correct, MY 18 and up are correctly detecting trailers with LED lights. The trailer indicator light works, gearbox holds on to gears longer and auto access mode doesn't work with the trailer attached.

This is despite what the manual says. Seems the manual hasn't caught up with model changes.

Someone here had a software upgrade done however that didn't fix it. So we're unsure what was changed, just know MY18 and up works. And there's someone with a MY17 that works as well.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • MAC OSX
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

Towing Module

Some people report that shunt resistors will overcome this problem. I have fitted shunt resistors and the system works. Others report system works without shunt resistors. Has there been an update in the spec of the "Towing Module"?

D5 HSE Lux 2017
  • Brooksie69
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

I know this is an old subject but I am having the same problem as others and after searching on here came across this thread.

I have a 2023 D300 SE MHEV just had a Detachable towbar fitted with vehicle specific 13 pin electrics.
    The fitter fitted a control module to allow LED trailer lights.
    Everything works except the little green trailer light on the dash when indicating all lights on lighting board work except rear fog on car doesn't go off when lighting board on.
    I have coded the towbar via the IID, also had some help from Pat at GAP but still unable to get the indication when a trailer attached.
    Would the LED mod box prevent the indication or could it be the car must detect a caravan or trailer on the Towbar?
    The reverse sensors deactivate and the PDC sensors are inactive.
    Any help or info would be great, if anyone has done this to their vehicle what coding did you use and did you use a module to help with LED trailer lights.
    Thanks.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum