Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Chalkys HSE wrote:
    For the 2017 MY there is NO Fix and NO good will from JLR. Your on your Own ! There was ONE update available and prob added before you took delivery. seeing as this is a common you would think that JLR would offer Good Will on their part as they basically sold you something which cannot be rectified......

OH By the way....... in case you didnt know yet..... It's your fault, No matter how your driving it...
    IT's WRONG !

2018MY has different computer interface ? and CAN be updated by the NV222.3 software relaease patch,
    This is the interesting bit, even tho it can be updated there is good will from JLR regards the free Oil & Filter. Crazy ?

2019MY, RRS engine, TWO Turbo's and the Exhaust manifold architecture is akin to the D4 set up,

Regardless of Oil Dilution being NONE existent and as you say Fuel In Oil "Oil Dilution" or "on set of early service light activation" is all related to info i have recieved from JLR over the past 10 Months.

Their get out clause as you say........ Drive over the service allocation and any malfunction is....... You guessed it ! YOUR FAULT !

I got £10,000 good will from JLR towards my next car ( rejected MY17 HSE Lux after 15 months with 16,000 miles driven )
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I think from the ammount of vehicles going the wrong way back to the manufacturer through the dealers, there seems to be a bit of clamp down occuring !

That's all well and good... But when people who are supposed to be supporting the consumer start telling you they refuse your rejection because there are no records of it ever being looked at before, your on a hiding to nothing !

What did the £10K Go towards ?

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

£10,000 from JLR was available to put towards any JLR vehicle
    Supplying dealer agreed to supply any of their stock cars at nominal cost price ( cost + workshop time to prep ) if I stayed with them - and they would supply proof of car cost

So I got a Velar D300 R Dynamic HSE, black pack, heads up display, 22” wheels, roof bars, tow bar, illuminated tread plates, heated steering wheel, air ionisation, tracker and a few other toys.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

How has it been ?

• Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Close To perfect
    40mpg in a run is expected every time, otherwise 32mpg as an average. So good for twin turbo sdv6
    Very car like handling, so lots of fun
    Excellent off road ( when on 20”s )
    Only minor issue is the smaller boot, which I resolved by removing the wife’s crap. So have room for dog, guns and snacks Smile
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

I like the Gun's and snacks part Whistle

• IndusD4
    Australia 

N222v3 applied today and another oil change under warranty. Considering the wear metals reported in oil that was tested by others I'm happy to have had these extra oil changes. Service due in 12,350km at current odometer reading 10,100km, which should take me to the end of first year of ownership. Fingers crossed.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • MAC OSX
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

B50int wrote:
    MacOSX,

It would be good if you can get you oil tested to keep adding to the data pool. Those of us that have tested it seem to get results showing oil dilution to be way lower than the car is anticipating- assuming that is why the early service indication is being given of course.

It doesn’t resolve the problem that your car is asking for a service and you will need to get one done to keep within JLRs warranty rules. Worth challenging the dealer if it’s not covered by a service plan. Seems to be varying degrees of succees in getting dealer/JLR to cover the costs of early service oil changes.

Many thanks for your excellent response.

Regretably I do not have the facility to have the oil tested.
    I have downloaded and printed off a copy of JLRP00100 which refers to this problem to take to my dealer on Thursday the 17th January.

Sometimes when checking oil level (cold) display shows full and other times shows overfull.
    The former typically after I driven the vehicle briskly. Surmise that this causes the crankcase to get hotter hence resulting in any diesel in the oil to evaporate and be removed by the crankcase ventiation system.
    On one occasion after a brisk drive the Oil Service Reqd NOW was replaced with Service reqd in 500 Miles.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

When mine is cold, it shows overfilled, but when warm and having sat for a few minutes, it's normal. I think it's a function of ALL the oil draining into the pan.
  • MAC OSX
    United Kingdom 

I am getting both the FULL and OVERFULL having let the vehicle stand for 24+ hours. That is why I came to the conclusion of diesel draining into the crankcase, resulting in overfull reading but evaporating after brisk driving resulting in full reading after 24+ hours standing.
    Against this is how a diesel is stopped ie. cutting off the diesel supply (not opening the valves to the injectors).
    The mystery deepens.
    No doubt you knowledge (greater than mine) wiil help find the answer to this problem.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I think it's part because the oil filter is inverted and at the top of the engine, so after the vehicle sits for 24 hours or so, all the oil in the filter housing drains back out, as does some of the oil in the filter medium itself, plus the oil in the turbo, in the pump, channels/lines, etc. When warm, it's all the way in all the nooks and crannies and the designed oil capacity has to take all that into account. "Standard" oil filters that sit under the engine like a cup don't evacuate their oil when you turn the engine off, it just sits there in the filter casing, so their levels when warm and cold don't differ all that much.

Part of the problem is you can't tell HOW overfilled the engine is, because there's no dipstick. So it could be just one drop above whatever sensor fob is checking the oil depth in the pan and reporting "it's deeper than me so it's overfilled". Conventional wisdom says you're supposed to check the oil when warm anyway, and I think the manual advises "checking" the oil in the D5 when warm, so I've kind of assumed it's normal.

Also, recall the engine only estimates oil dilution by the number of regeneration cycles that it has counted - likely counting interrupted and restarted cycles twice, so perhaps over counting and thus over-estimating how much fuel has entered the crankcase past the pistons.
  • MAC OSX
    United Kingdom 

Great sense in what you say.
    At present I am really p155ed of with this vehicle. At this level (D5 HSE LUX) features like 1. Adaptive LED Headlights, 2. Adaptive Cruise Control, 3. Homelink should be included in the spec, not an optional extra.
    Vehicle booked in for "Oil Service on 17th Jan.
    I feel like returning the vehicle to the dealer. i am fully aware of the financial loss to myself replacing the vehicle with a no nonsense workhorse.
    Dieselranger I fully appreciated your knowledgeable input.
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

MAC OSX wrote:
    B50int wrote:
    MacOSX,

It would be good if you can get you oil tested to keep adding to the data pool. Those of us that have tested it seem to get results showing oil dilution to be way lower than the car is anticipating- assuming that is why the early service indication is being given of course.

It doesn’t resolve the problem that your car is asking for a service and you will need to get one done to keep within JLRs warranty rules. Worth challenging the dealer if it’s not covered by a service plan. Seems to be varying degrees of succees in getting dealer/JLR to cover the costs of early service oil changes.

Many thanks for your excellent response.

Regretably I do not have the facility to have the oil tested.
    I have downloaded and printed off a copy of JLRP00100 which refers to this problem to take to my dealer on Thursday the 17th January.

Sometimes when checking oil level (cold) display shows full and other times shows overfull.
    The former typically after I driven the vehicle briskly. Surmise that this causes the crankcase to get hotter hence resulting in any diesel in the oil to evaporate and be removed by the crankcase ventiation system.
    On one occasion after a brisk drive the Oil Service Reqd NOW was replaced with Service reqd in 500 Miles.

MACOSX

Millers oils in Brighouse do a sample kit online. You send it back by post with your oil sample and they email the results a few days later.

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/services/oil-analysis

Jon
  • Labbix

I finally have the car back, MY18, and all available updates applied.
    Driven: 300km
    Service went down with: 700km
    Adblue went down with: 1000km

The 300 km were only short trips which won’t help, but still seems that the N222v3 update is not the real solution.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

The update is basically a sticking plaster, It is an after thought to an already well documented problem.

There are several theories surrounding this hypotheses depending on where you glean your information from and seemingly where you live or which country you reside.

First of all the engine, lets assume that is fault free for this example and then concentrate solely on what is making the engine calculate the wrong information and display it incorrectly, The dosing of the Adblu nozzle has in some form a little to do with counting down the miles down, i do not know by how many or how often but there is some opinion from a source that links this to the problem, Secondly the Time to next service, this is factored in to the equasion again i do not know by how many but let's assume it drops by a thousand miles a month, working from the on board calendar it will get it's Date / time etc from the Atomic Clock for GPS purposes etc, this inforation acts together with the AdBlu countdown, Thirdly every time the wheels turn around the miles clock up on the odometer and assuming they count down on the "miles To Nest Service this is working either with or against the Adblu counter and the calendar !

According to the document JLRP00100 the architecture in the JAGUAR vehicles "Utilising the SAME" engines are not affected in the same manner as the Land Rover Product. This it has been suggested is the fault of the Architecture. To glean the info it would be worth reading the document leaked by an employee surrounding Oil Dilution in the form of JLRP00100, It is quite technical in that the wording is contrived but the ethos behind JLR's stance on the situation will come to the surface if you read the content within the explanations as it refers specifically to updates and what actions to take there after.

From the conversations i have been having with many Approved Dealers there is NO remedy certainly for the 2017MY, 2018MY is in some way helping by trying to regulate the dosing and also trying to reduce the numbers of attempted re-gens creating this post injection fuelling which creates heat and also Fuel In Oil, Although some Members have had their Oil tested and subsequently found NO traces of fuel in Oil ?
    I'm not at all sure how? this is possible due to the very nature of the combustion process but there you go?

So in short, it's over fuelling, creating too many re - gens and dosing up on AdBlu, the parameters are conflicting and the wrong messages are being displayed !

By the very nature of Combustion i would anticipate Fuel In Oil, Modern Oil is supposed to enhance lubing and decrease wear yet they have extended service intervals on most vehicles, the D5 being 16,000 is quite short in comparrison to most by to days standards, If mine were out of warranty and 3 years old i would be dropping mine at £5K intervals, JLR charging a staggering £450 for the privelidge is absolute robbery and borders on sharp practice if you ask me..... Imagine buying a car that requires a service at 16K miles and they are making £500 a year from it, increase this to a service every 5,000K miles and suddenly youre making £1,500 a year on servicing alone.

A bit like the acientist at Johnson & johnson who came up with the.... If symptoms persist use again in another 7 days.... they sold a minimum of 2 almost straight away.

I doubt there is any substance behind this but then again i doubt very much that JLR have stopped and though't, hang on wer'e making out of this, best give some back as what is happening here is actually not right.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum