Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Chalkys HSE wrote:
    I'm waiting for JLR Customer Services or "Care" to confirm what the intended driving method is ?

Mine is the wrong vehicle, in no uncertain terms. The 130 Miles i travel regularly isnt creating the conditions required for it work.

The driving style is an attempt for the company to offload a burdon that it's created but refuses to accept.
    And i'm sure most wouldn't have purchased a brand new vehicle knowing that the service would be required at such frequent intervals

The below posts confirm what many have suspected - there is no oil dilution issue! There is an issue with the car over-calculating oil dilution and falsely reporting.

DieselRanger wrote:
    Test your oil. I think you'll find, as I have, that the vehicle is over-estimating the level of dilution that is actually occurring. I'm getting service due notices at about 3,500 mile intervals yet my oil has virtually no fuel in it.

N222 apparently addresses this overzealous estimation...

B50int wrote:
    Mind you having said that, my last oil sample didn’t show significant dilution anyway, despite the car insisting it needed a service. Early service, and not real oil dilution for me thus far.

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I'm not entirely sure that 2 out of 0f the thousands of D5's are confirmation that there is no Oil Dilution ?
    If it was that simple you would have thought JLR would link to these posts and confirm that there was No Issue ?

Especially when the dealers prescribe Oil Dilution at 7.9% as the cause of my early service, Regardless of Oil Dilution at 0.2% or 9.7% my vehicle is running out of service between 1,700 miles and 2,900 miles.
    I dont really care if it's an anomoly or a faulty sensor or an update that can't be updated but expecting me to pay for something that i have no control over at £450 a service is not within my remit.
    So regardless of the cause the fault still remains, and i dont really care if it's oil dilution, faulty warning light or the DPF itself,

My vehicle isn't working and it's my fault !

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

Where has the info gone re oil testing ?

How did you extract the Oil ? I've got the bottle from millers and had expected some form of plastic tube and a syringe ?

Also do you take it out whilst hot or cold ??

Thanks,

• DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

There are now three or four threads discussing this topic - I suggested the site admins create a sticky in Faults/Fixes to post oil test results but so far that hasn't been implemented.

First thing, there are no "sensors" in the D5 directly measuring oil quality - it's purely a calculation based on miles, time, and the frequency of active regeneration events to clean the DPF. So, in effect, yes, your driving style may be causing the calculated oil life to decrease faster than it should, but the reality is your oil is probably fine. Unfortunately, some JLR stealers are all too happy to take your money to change your oil because your vehicle says it needs it, and I'd wager the vast majority of LR Td6 owners just shrug and hand it over, being as they probably have $140 in folding money fall out of their pockets between the seat cushions on a normal day.

By testing your oil, you can determine how long to run it past when the vehicle thinks it needs to be changed, and you can take it directly to your dealer as proof. So far, I'm pretty sure I could run 10,000 miles between changes with no problem.

My lab in the US sells a small handheld vacuum extractor about the size of a handheld bike pump that's engineered for the sample container to screw on, with an attachment to the extractor tube in the engine bay (the tube that looks like a capped-off dipstick tube just ahead and to the left of the engine cover - vacuum extraction of engine oil is the designed purpose of this tube). A few pumps and 3oz of oil get slurped into the container, and off you go. Take the oil warm - let it sit 10-20min after a "normal" trip so the majority of the oil that's in the crankcase drains back into the pan.

If your lab doesn't offer one, then invest in a 8L vacuum fluid extractor. This is harder to modulate small amounts, but it will pay for itself later in mess-free DIY oil changes in your garage. There are also smaller ones as well - you just need one that has a rubber fitment that provides a good seal around the mouth of the extractor tube, and no matter what you use you need to ensure you clean out and dry your tubing (and initial container, if not the sample container) well before each extraction for testing.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Chalkys HSE wrote:
    Where has the info gone re oil testing ?

How did you extract the Oil ? I've got the bottle from millers and had expected some form of plastic tube and a syringe ?

Also do you take it out whilst hot or cold ??

Thanks,

There are lots of them...

https://oilsampling.co.uk/Metal-Vacuum-Sampling-Pump

https://oilsampling.co.uk/Oil-Sampling-Kit

http://marinetestingsolutions.com/products/vacuum-sampling-pump/

http://www.tribe-engineering.co.uk/home/oi...pling-kit/
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

I used a syringe intended for enteral feeding (foodstuffs) and piece of plastic pipe onto the top of the extraction port. Took a few pinches of the tube and a reset of the syringe position to get it up the tube but worked fine.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up

I have the Nurse from next door getting me a tube from a stent and a syringe.

Whistle

• Craigp
    England 

Just make sure its not a used colonic irrigation kit. As you will get a Censored reading. Laughing
  • maxmax
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

MY17 with 16k miles, last serviced July 2018 at 10k miles. Oil change light came on in late Nov at 14.5k miles and have been waiting since then for a courtesy car to be available.... went to LR Inchcape in Guildford on Thursday and cake back today. No talk of patching, but they did change the oil gratis and give us the pep talk on driving style. But the driving style is school bus and local trips, we told the salesman that was what it is used for and if it’s not suitable for that then it’s a fit for purpose type question.

Otherwise, it’s a very lovely car.

Incidentally, they aren’t doing media / nav system reflashing just now. It’s been breaking cars. Once they get it working, they’re having it back to sort that out.

HSE Lux MY17 in Loire Blue with deployable tow bar, activity key and cubby fridge. (And Apple CarPlay and Android Auto)
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

If your's is MY17 it might not accept the new updates, be carefull they're not fobbing you off with that one, The NV2222.2 or 3 cannot be applied to vehicles pre a certain VIN#

Ask them if they can apply the new software or check yor VIN

• Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Chalkys HSE wrote:
    what is the build date of your Veh ? is it an early 2017 mid or late ??

Maybe yours was built during the change over ? it seems odd that they randomly selected a VIN and drew a line in the sand ? we had one at work that cannot be updatred at all. The only patch applied was done before delivery and the sysyem would not accept any N222V1, or 2 ?

All the ones in the VIN range should should accept the update, the cut off at the top end should ? I am informed represent the 2019 MY chnage over to the 306BHP RRS Unit with the two turbo's.

They applied N010 before delivery. N020 after a service and hen applied N025 as a last ditch attempt,

The N222 version would not do anything as it would not accept any changes due to the differing software embedded within the veh ?

Sorry just saw this. My Disco was registered in Germany on 4th October 2019. I don't know how long it takes to get from the factory in the UK to my dealer. And neither how long it took him to register it.

Greets,
    Hauser

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Chalkys HSE wrote:
    If your's is MY17 it might not accept the new updates, be carefull they're not fobbing you off with that one, The NV2222.2 or 3 cannot be applied to vehicles pre a certain VIN#

Ask them if they can apply the new software or check yor VIN

I saw the N222v2 topix bulletin. Here is what it says:
    Name: N222v2
    Modell: Discovery (LR)
    Modell Year: 2018
    VIN: 030810 - 079568

(Mine btw is SALRA2BK9HA0379xx - So I am well within the range. Vehicle was registered on October 4th in Germany. Don't know the exact build date.)

Greets,
    Hauser

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • MAC OSX
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

Fuel in Oil.

Vehicle D5 HSE Lux (2017). Purchased June 2018, Mileage 9,200 miles. Now 12,900 miles.
    Oil Service required now. Alternated between approx 1,000 miles and now.
    At present settled on reqd now.
    Seems to be Fuel in Oil related.
    Is this problem restricted to 2017 examples or is it a problem with all "New Discoveries"?

I quote from JLRP00100 Issue 2. "Continued vehicle operation with high oil dilution will result in engine failure."
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

For the 2017 MY there is NO Fix and NO good will from JLR. Your on your Own ! There was ONE update available and prob added before you took delivery. seeing as this is a common you would think that JLR would offer Good Will on their part as they basically sold you something which cannot be rectified......

OH By the way....... in case you didnt know yet..... It's your fault, No matter how your driving it...
    IT's WRONG !

2018MY has different computer interface ? and CAN be updated by the NV222.3 software relaease patch,
    This is the interesting bit, even tho it can be updated there is good will from JLR regards the free Oil & Filter. Crazy ?

2019MY, RRS engine, TWO Turbo's and the Exhaust manifold architecture is akin to the D4 set up,

Regardless of Oil Dilution being NONE existent and as you say Fuel In Oil "Oil Dilution" or "on set of early service light activation" is all related to info i have recieved from JLR over the past 10 Months.

Their get out clause as you say........ Drive over the service allocation and any malfunction is....... You guessed it ! YOUR FAULT !

• B50int
    United Kingdom 

MacOSX,

It would be good if you can get you oil tested to keep adding to the data pool. Those of us that have tested it seem to get results showing oil dilution to be way lower than the car is anticipating- assuming that is why the early service indication is being given of course.

It doesn’t resolve the problem that your car is asking for a service and you will need to get one done to keep within JLRs warranty rules. Worth challenging the dealer if it’s not covered by a service plan. Seems to be varying degrees of succees in getting dealer/JLR to cover the costs of early service oil changes.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum