Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Labbix

2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

Auto terrain response

Just wondering, but tried it on:
    - snow and ice
    - gravel roads

in ‘auto’ mode, and then put the ‘auto’ mode off to see in which ‘program’ the car would be.

And to my surprise it was always in ‘comfort mode’. So never in grass, snow or gravel or mud or so.

And I actually never really felt a difference in throttle response or so. That makes me wonder if the ‘auto’ mode actually works, or is it just a fancy word and orange light that’s put on the selector as an option for knuckleheads Wink

If you manually change the selector you really notice the different setups.

Anyone else this experience/question?
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

You will not notice any difference until the terrain requires it, if you are tarmac then nothing will change.

On my off road day we were on a slope with wet grass and it was noticeably better on Auto rather than any of the other modes.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Farallon Black

When you're off road, you can tell if the system has decided to use a different mode (particularly if it chooses rock crawl or sand).

If you pop the selector up, you have now selected comfort mode and this will override any choices that the system made while in auto - so you will always see comfort when you turn off auto.

I leave mine in auto unless there is a clear choice of which mode is best and I want to make sure it doesn't change unexpectedly.

MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 | Farallon Pearl Black | Black Pack | Privacy Glass | Capability Plus Pack | Adaptive Dynamics | Versatile Climate Pack | FBH with Timed Climate
  • Labbix

Would ‘auto’ be able to change to low gearing if required, f.i. Rock crawl? I thought you had to stand still for this and being in neutral, so I really doubt auto would be able to do this. Although I would be very positively surprised if it could!
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Farallon Black

No, the driver has to select high or low range but then the auto mode can choose how to proceed from there.

MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 | Farallon Pearl Black | Black Pack | Privacy Glass | Capability Plus Pack | Adaptive Dynamics | Versatile Climate Pack | FBH with Timed Climate
  • Labbix

Makes sense
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

I was advised by dealer to leave it in auto and it will look after everything itself, I guess the active diff does its own thing too!!!

3.0 HSE. Luxury climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, activity key+ more!!!!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum