Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Labbix

Auto terrain response

Just wondering, but tried it on:
    - snow and ice
    - gravel roads

in ‘auto’ mode, and then put the ‘auto’ mode off to see in which ‘program’ the car would be.

And to my surprise it was always in ‘comfort mode’. So never in grass, snow or gravel or mud or so.

And I actually never really felt a difference in throttle response or so. That makes me wonder if the ‘auto’ mode actually works, or is it just a fancy word and orange light that’s put on the selector as an option for knuckleheads Wink

If you manually change the selector you really notice the different setups.

Anyone else this experience/question?
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

You will not notice any difference until the terrain requires it, if you are tarmac then nothing will change.

On my off road day we were on a slope with wet grass and it was noticeably better on Auto rather than any of the other modes.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

When you're off road, you can tell if the system has decided to use a different mode (particularly if it chooses rock crawl or sand).

If you pop the selector up, you have now selected comfort mode and this will override any choices that the system made while in auto - so you will always see comfort when you turn off auto.

I leave mine in auto unless there is a clear choice of which mode is best and I want to make sure it doesn't change unexpectedly.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Labbix

Would ‘auto’ be able to change to low gearing if required, f.i. Rock crawl? I thought you had to stand still for this and being in neutral, so I really doubt auto would be able to do this. Although I would be very positively surprised if it could!
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 

No, the driver has to select high or low range but then the auto mode can choose how to proceed from there.

• Labbix

Makes sense
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

I was advised by dealer to leave it in auto and it will look after everything itself, I guess the active diff does its own thing too!!!

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Mikmillar89
    United Kingdom 

Is the any other control modules to make it work or is it just the button and programming.

Thanks mike
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

What is this 'comfort' mode of which everyone speaks?

The Terrain Response 2 system works by adjusting throttle response, differential locking behavior, traction control thresholds, and when the transmission is left in 'D,' shift points.

Leaving it in Auto terrain response mode I believe slows down the vehicle's response to specific terrain situations as it's going to be constantly analyzing wheel slip, angle, and other parameters to then determine which mode it should be in, and then setting those parameters.

On the other hand, if you know you're going to be in sand for a significant period of time, put it in Sand mode and the vehicle doesn't have to think for itself. Likewise for rock crawling or snow.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

seems if you turn the knob all way to left, mine goes into "General Mode", it doesn't have one called Comfort Mode. I assume that then turns off the fact the car is constantly looking to see which mode it should be in, but sort of defeats the point of having Terrain 2 really.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

General Mode is for normal road driving. The owner's manual says, "Select the general program when driving on surfaces which are similar to a hard road surface. For example, dry cobblestones, asphalt, dry wooden planks, etc.

The general program should be selected once the need for any other special driving program has passed. Selecting the general program returns all of the vehicle's systems to the normal settings, except for Hill Descent Control (HDC). HDC remains active if it was selected manually. "
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 

DieselRanger wrote:
    What is this 'comfort' mode of which everyone speaks?

Comfort mode is the most anti-clockwise (left) option when not in "Auto Mode". It's probably just another name for General Mode, unless it is somehow different on the vehicles with ATPC and TR2 and the Auto Setting.

• simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Is Comfort Mode not the default mode for D5's with active dynamics? Non adaptive dynamics will get the General program?

My Velar has Comfort Mode as the default and has adaptive dynamics fitted as standard.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum