Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• JackNorris
    United Kingdom 

Amber Warning Lights

As part of what I do, I require amber warning lights on the vehicle.

On the D4 I just used a magnetic beacon that I put on when required and took off when not.

With the D5 being non magnetic I need a new solution.

I thought about windscreen mount or similar. I dont want to drill or cut the vehicle in anyway. Hence thinking internal.

Anyone done it already?

Thanks

MY2020 Discovert 5 Landmark 3.0 | MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - Gone| MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD | MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD
  • Chalkey
    England 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Indus Silver

Perhaps you could fit amber lights to the grill or if you have roof rails fit them on there, I bought roof rails off eBay for my DS and they were as good as LR ones.

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails.
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

The UK highway agency has them, they are attached to the roof bars. See here

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

You could check with member "Bleeding knuckles" on the Disco4 forum how they run the cable. In this thread he shows the D3/D4 versions but said they were being replaced with the new D5.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

I would consider roof bar mounting but probably adapt an LED lightbar and attach to rechargeable power source also mounted on roof bar, totally eliminating any need for wires through the vehicle.It wouldn't be too difficult to operate through a wireless switch if need be.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I wonder what JonM used, he asked the same question a year ago - here

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I didn't find a solution, there are suction mount lights but the price is eye watering. I was watching this thread in the hope that someone has found a better idea. Rolling with laughter

There are lights that sit on the dashboard and show through the windscreen. These probably would be a reasonable option at the front but I'm not sure how well they would work at the back especially through tinted windows.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

Hi

Seen these?

https://responsevehiclelighting.co.uk/rvl-...2-led.html

I would expect much higher output than dash mounted as it has more modules and they are higher up the vehicle for better visibility. Still a challenge at the back though...

Jon
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

JonM wrote:
    I was watching this thread in the hope that someone has found a better idea. Rolling with laughter

My apologies for dropping you in it Very Happy

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • sbrown
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Carpathian Grey

JonM wrote:
    I didn't find a solution, there are suction mount lights but the price is eye watering. I was watching this thread in the hope that someone has found a better idea. Rolling with laughter

There are lights that sit on the dashboard and show through the windscreen. These probably would be a reasonable option at the front but I'm not sure how well they would work at the back especially through tinted windows.

I popped in here for the same reason - it wasn't until your thread I realised I wouldn't be able to mount the ridiculously expensive magnetic light bar I have!! Still looking for a way to adapt it to suction but pretty sure there's nothing off the shelf.

Would love to fit ambers in grills but for some places I go this isn't enough and it's a lot of work and expense when I'd need a roof unit anyway
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

In your case I would fit a single roof bar towards the front and attach a metal "base" to this bar to put the light on when you need it. As for a bar, I'd get this one to keep it mounted as low as possible. The bar has a T-track so it wouldn't be hard to get a metal plate cut and attach it.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • JackNorris
    United Kingdom 

Thanks all

I’m currently leaning towards something like this but still looking around. Shall keep you posted

https://www.rsg-ontop.com/collections/lighting-shields

MY2020 Discovert 5 Landmark 3.0 | MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - Gone| MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD | MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Be interested in what you decide on.

Its been a conundrum for me also.
    I carry a spare mini magnetic mount bar which i can "perch" on top if static in an emergency.
    Not required it yet as generally i'm in my other vehicle which is kitted out with ambers.

Will say the dash mounted Windscreen ambers with suction cups are incredible, I'd highly recommend this one:
    https://ventauk.com/product/variled-double-dashlight-blue/ (I have it in Amber though..) Wink
    They also do a Suction Light bar but not cheap... Confused

Santorini Black MY 18 HSE Dynamic BLACK TDV6
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I don't know if they ship overseas, but Lucky8 has no-cut light mounts for the front grille:

https://www.lucky8llc.com/products/discovery-5-light-mounts

You could then source amber LEDs to fit, and I believe @Rockcypher sourced some pretty cool wireless controllers:

https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread1661.html
    http://triggercontroller.com
  • JackNorris
    United Kingdom 

So,,,,

To date I have some in the rear windows now, with the RSG shields to stop the light reflecting inside. Powered off of a £5 eBay relay.

Still working on the front Very Happy

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum