Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Cruise Assist

Anybody else using it? Thoughts?

Obviously I’m not taking my hands off of the wheel, but it seems to be working very well so far....

*not adaptive cruise/lane keep assist

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I've got adaptive cruise control (with queue assist) and lane keep assist but not "cruise assist" what's the difference?

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 

Cruise assist steers the car, keeping it central in a lane. Annoyingly, I suspect that if you took your hands off of the wheel it would sound an alarm after 20 seconds until steering movement is detected.

Almost an autonomous car with adaptive cruise

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 

Is this an upgrade for the steering assist option on the lane keep assist?

I use the steering assist, it keeps you in the lane but you'd not want to use it as an auto pilot - it lets you bounce from side to side within the lane if you don't make any attempt to steer the car yourself.

• DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 

No, this is proper automatic steering

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Ive got this and I use this all the time now. Its great on long motorway journeys and makes the journey a whole lot easier.

Its pretty good as long as the white lines are clear enough on the road for the camera to read them.

Its basically the next step in adaptive cruise control. I've learnt to just rest my right hand on the steering with just enough pressure to keep the system happy and I can rest my elbow on the armrest on drivers door. This works very well for long journeys Very Happy
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Re: Cruise Assist

DiscoStu wrote:
    Anybody else using it? Thoughts?

Obviously I’m not taking my hands off of the wheel, but it seems to be working very well so far....

*not adaptive cruise/lane keep assist

What option or pack is this Stu? I've got a MY20 on order and don't recall seeing Cruise Assist on my million trips through the configurator and brochure? I've ticked the pack that contains Lane Keep Assist, does that pack include Cruise Assist?

Cheers,

Rich

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 

It's part of the driver assist pack
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Thanks MalithS. I have that specced on my car, interesting that they don't mention Cruise Assist anywhere, just referring the Adaptive Cruise with Lane Keeping Assist.

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 

It shows like this:

Honestly they dont market it well enough I dont think
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

That’s the one. They do underplay it, I agree.

• JonM
    United Kingdom 

That's what I have on mine. It's referred to as "Steering Assist" in the manual and in the car's settings.

It's far from being autonomous driving, if you drift towards the white line, it puts in a steering input to steer you back away from the line but what it doesn't do is then point the car down the centre of the lane, it leaves you drifting across to the other side of the lane until you get close to that line then it steers you away back towards the opposite side again.

I use it quite a lot, but if you don't actively steer the car you'd zig-zag down the lane like a drunkard. Even worse, on country roads it detects the white line but not the grass verge so it would push you away from the line but not stop you crashing up the verge and in to the hedge.

The other annoying thing is that after overtaking and you want to return to the left lane, you have to remember to indicate left to stop the system from fighting you to prevent you crossing the line. You can just overpower it but it comes as a surprise if you had forgotten that it was switched on.

Mine really tried to scare me once on a motorway when driving in to low sun on a stretch that had recently had roadworks. The temporary lane markings for the road works had been erased leaving shiny black tarmac but that was reflecting the low sun and the system though it was the line it should follow. The erased line it tried to follow moved over to the right so it tried to push me in to the next lane which already had a car in it. Shocked

• Labbix

Hi JonM,

I’m afraid you don’t have it, neither do I, but I have what you describe in my MY18 lux Wink

This new thing is only out for the newest cars, MY20 and it seems late MY19 as well...
  • Labbix

The new stuff is ‘identical’ to the Volvo’s autonomous driving, but only just released on the disco5
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 

Interesting...... Confused

So presumably it uses the same hardware (cameras and power steering input) as ours but the programming must be better.

Which poses the question.....can ours be upgraded with a software update?

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum