Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Labbix

Good question... but have no idea
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

JonM wrote:
    That's what I have on mine. It's referred to as "Steering Assist" in the manual and in the car's settings.

It's far from being autonomous driving, if you drift towards the white line, it puts in a steering input to steer you back away from the line but what it doesn't do is then point the car down the centre of the lane, it leaves you drifting across to the other side of the lane until you get close to that line then it steers you away back towards the opposite side again.

I use it quite a lot, but if you don't actively steer the car you'd zig-zag down the lane like a drunkard. Even worse, on country roads it detects the white line but not the grass verge so it would push you away from the line but not stop you crashing up the verge and in to the hedge.

The other annoying thing is that after overtaking and you want to return to the left lane, you have to remember to indicate left to stop the system from fighting you to prevent you crossing the line. You can just overpower it but it comes as a surprise if you had forgotten that it was switched on.

Mine really tried to scare me once on a motorway when driving in to low sun on a stretch that had recently had roadworks. The temporary lane markings for the road works had been erased leaving shiny black tarmac but that was reflecting the low sun and the system though it was the line it should follow. The erased line it tried to follow moved over to the right so it tried to push me in to the next lane which already had a car in it. Shocked

No, you’re talking about Lane Keep Assist. Cruise Assist keeps you in the centre of the lane, not zig-zagging.

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Symbol for Cruise Assist active

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

JonM wrote:
    Interesting...... Confused

So presumably it uses the same hardware (cameras and power steering input) as ours but the programming must be better.

Which poses the question.....can ours be upgraded with a software update?

Hi Jon,

Yes what you describe is called 'Lane Keep Assist' which only helps keep you in lane and stops you 'drifting' out of lane. The Active Steering Assist will actually centre the vehicle in lane and steer (to some degree) around corners and keep the car going straight (as long as system detects pressure on steering to know you are holding it). This is very similar to other OEMs offerings as well. It only became an option from 19MY vehicles, and was available right from the start of 19MY to order (it has always been bundled up with the 360 camera - although it has no reliance on the 360 cameras to work).

Like you say you might have the hardware to drive the new feature as it will be new software in the forward facing camera/other modules that actually drive this feature. I'm sure someone will work out how to code these cars soon
  • eelpout
    United States 

So you're saying that the Lane Keep Assist is different in the newer models than the Bosch unit that is in the MY2017?
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Lane keep assist still exists as it did at 17MY however there is an optional Steer Assist feature from 19MY. So it's basically from the same forward facing camera but with software difference and you need Acc to have Steer Assist as the system works in conjunction with the radar cruise control and the forward facing camera. Lane keep assist does not need the Acc.
  • mse
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Farallon Black

Ive been using it for 7000 miles now - i love it, car is effectively autonomous although the sensor to check your holding the wheel is annoying - it goes off sometimes when i am holding it!

System freaks people out though Laughing
  • eelpout
    United States 

I just hope they've improved the vehicle detection as the one in my MY2017 I can't rely on to recognize reliably a vehicle in front of me. It's quite erratic. Sad
  • mse
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Farallon Black

On all of mine its been ok - it occasionally doesnt slow just as much as i would like so i have to engage the system a bit.

The HUD indicates that it has the vehicle in front.

Biggest problem is the To(lovely people)sers who pull into my gap
  • eelpout
    United States 

mine is really sensitive to car color and how much light is falling on it, i'm guessing there has to be enough contrast to detect it.

i'm just hoping that 3 years on they've improved it. Wink
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum