Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

Data usage has just gone through the roof!

As the title says, my data usage has just gone exponential. I've got the latest software (SOTA) and Apple CarPlay enabled and in the last few days the car is eating through data. I just did some playing around using my iPhone as a hotspot with the car's data off (can't afford any more data on the SIM). It's using around 165mb every 5 minutes. I've got Software Updates disabled (already checked if there is an update available) and haven't changed anything I can see but just can't track it down.

If I start the car with the SIM or iPhone Hotspot enabled it gobbles down 100mb or so as soon as I move off. However, if I start to drive with all data disabled and then enable it on the move it doesn't use any more data than it used to.

I'm at a total loss just now as to what the problem is. Any one else getting this behavior? As far as I can tell having the smartphone pack installed should not increase data usage so something else is at play here. I assumed it was trying to download an update but I've now disabled SOTA but that hasn't helped.

Edit:

Just done some more fiddling. Using the iPhone as a WiFi Hotspot and the cars SIM turned off Data usage is normal until I connect the phone to USB.. As soon as CarPlay kicks in the car starts downloading. I let it run for a while (200mb) then disconnected from CarPlay. The data usage stopped and everything returned to normal. Re-connecting to CarPlay started the data use again. I let it run and it topped out at 615mb then stopped.

CarPlay is not supposed to use the cars data - does anyone else have this issue with CarPlay?

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

Update: I've been playing with this for most of the day now and the data usage has eventually stopped.

It seemed to start a day or so ago just after I used Siri to play music from my iPhone through CarPlay for the first time and it has stopped after I changed the Music settings in my iPhone to not use Mobile Data.

Could just be a total coincidence of course! I have gone through about 1.5gb of data over a couple of journeys with CarPlay connected, about 2mb when CarPlay is disconnected.

Everything I have read about CarPlay says it does not use the cars data.

I'd appreciate any info, positive or negative from any other CarPlay users thanks.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I have just spent 2 weeks driving around France and was using Carplay and Spotify to avoid listening to the awful French radio stations! Laughing

That used 8GB of my phone data allowance.
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

Thanks. That's what should happen. Mine has stopped using the car data now. The only thing I can think of is that the car was downloading the Album Art to go with my phone music. Again, that should not happen.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • JackNorris
    United Kingdom 

I have noticed mine also consumes a lot of data - and I don’t use music 🤔

MY2020 Discovert 5 Landmark 3.0 | MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - Gone| MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD | MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

Just spoken to a friend who's wife's Velar has eaten through £90 of Ubigi data in the last 2 days. Her car normally lasts the month on 512mb, just like mine used to.

CarPlay firmware updating itself for iOS 13? According to Apple it shouldn't do that as CarPlay is all in the phone but then this is JLR.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

CarPlay is all in the phone. It uses the touch screen for display and touch commands and that’s all. There is no connection with the cars systems apart from that.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

That's mostly correct. It does actually take GPS data from the car according to Apple. However - as soon as I activate CarPlay the data starts churning over on the Car SIM - shouldn't happen! Exactly the same behaviour on my mates Velar.

It's dropped to a decent rate now though. I connected the car to home WiFi, then plugged the phone in and started CarPlay and left it for a few hours and since then its been fine.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • JackNorris
    United Kingdom 

I’m sure it’s carplay related too.

MY2020 Discovert 5 Landmark 3.0 | MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - Gone| MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD | MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

One never experienced increased car SIM data usage and I’m using ACP every time I’m
    In the car. D5 and Velar.

Interesting about the GPS. I didn’t think it did as I’ve seen my location wander a lot now the phone is tucked in the ‘hidden’ storage space behind the bottom screen in the Velar.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Seems GPS info is only recommended but not mandatory for wired ACP. Mandatory for wireless ACP. Maybe LR provide it ? My suspicion is they don’t based on the position wandering I’ve seen since getting the Velar.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/722

Apple developer info. Interesting if your into that sort of thing.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • bammmy

Hello,
    Did anyone happen to find a solution to this as It’s just happened to me, wiped out all my data which easily used to last a month. Only thing I’ve done recently is update my iPhone to OIS 13, that was done on the house wifi😳😳😳
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

Only seems to affect a few people. At least hardly anyone on here has noticed it. I now know of 2 friends locally with the same issue. Putting the car onto house wifi, engine running and phone plugged in and connected to carplay for half an hour or so seems to satisfy it.

Being a bit of an anorak I looked at my routers log files from before enabling carplay and after. It's definitely data coming from Landrover but its a lot more than a usual OTA software update (which I disabled for a while just in case it was that). My dealer did say something about maybe needing a Voice Database update after CarPlay was installed so maybe it was that?

Anyway, its all back to normal now.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Why would the car need a voice database update for ACP? CarPlay is completely isolated from the LR voice recognition system. It’s all done on the phone with Siri and the phones data connection. The voice control button when ACP is activated by an iPhone being connected triggers Siri not the LR system.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

Funnily enough that's almost word for word how my conversation with the service tech went! Still no further forward.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum