Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• eelpout
    United States 

Chopsy wrote:
    Perhaps someone from the US on this site could confirm they can get the facility. Or have you had it previously on other cars?

Not familiar with US laws / restrictions myself.
    If I remember right my Sony's worked with my previous LR4 (didn't have the Samsung then). But that was years ago,

My Disco is a MY2017 with the CD player. I just checked my Lumia Windows Mobile 10 phone and it isn't working for texts either. Could be my D5's software is borked or it's a regional thing.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Eelpout, are you running the latest software in the car, i.e. 19b?

Maybe the older softwares causing the issues, like you said.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Labbix

Worked with my iPhone even with the 18 software, and this in Albania... US can’t be more restrictive?
  • eelpout
    United States 

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    Eelpout, are you running the latest software in the car, i.e. 19b?

Maybe the older softwares causing the issues, like you said.

yep, 19b (19.40) as of a couple days ago.

but I'm wondering if the last "software blast" at my dealer's in March/April may have messed something up.

I'll have to check with my dealer here in California and see if it should work. According to the support page, Samsungs should be supported for "SMS".

Samsung Galaxy S10 G973U (AT&T)
    Software Version
    9 (PPR1.180610.011.G973USQU1ASBA)
    Compatibility

Hands-Free Call
    Phonebook Use
    Call lists
    Incoming Caller ID
    Music Playback
    InControl Apps
    SMS Messaging
    Android Auto
    InControl Remote

• eelpout
    United States 

So, I guess I’ll ask this once again since I have a service appointment tomorrow and want to see if I should bother to push this issue. It’s still not clear to me if this should work on MY2017 vehicles.

For MY2017 HSE Lux owners with InControl Trouch Pro and CD Players (the latter may not matter):

Do you have text message support on your Android or iPhone? I currently do not with a Samsung S10 nor an iPhone Xs. Both of these phones are on their latest OS’ and the DIsco is on the latest 19C ICTP software. The phones DO have text messaging support on other rentals I’ve tried them with over Bluetooth.

And I’m not talking about CarPlay or Android Auto, but direct support with ICTP over Bluetooth. BTW, It appears that Apple may have removed the “Notification” slider within Bluetooth that use to be there in iOS 13. Or it’s not showing because the BT handshake doesn’t allow for it from the LR side with my vehicle.

thanks in advance.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

I am sorry to tell you that I have the same problem.

I have a 2017 D5, and texts are NOT read out.

My wife has an 2019 e-pace.

We are both on the same version of the InControl Pro.

Her's reads texts to her.

So... I think that basically it is simply... at some point between 2017 and 2019, they added the reading of texts in.

I am really disappointed that they couldn't add it in to the 2017 models because it is something pretty basic!!

But... I am not returning the D5 just for that!! Wink
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I have a very early March 2017 HSE and since I had Apple Car Play installed the car reads out text messages and I can dictate them.

My procedure is to connect my iPhone 7 by cable when I get in the car and it auto starts Car Play.
    I switch back to the LR screen and have the Nav screen displayed usually.

If a text message comes in, I get the option to hear it and then the option to reply.
  • eelpout
    United States 

yeah, Car Play and Android Auto aren’t the issue, we know they work, at least for text reading. It’s basic text message support from ICTP Pro over Bluetooth by itself for those times one doesn’t want to cable up Smile.

as someone mentioned earlier, if one uses the ownerinfo.landrover.com manuals as a guide, text messaging support via ICTP Pro doesn’t actually appear until the 2019 year. :/ (we’re skipping the SE, non ICTP Pro models)

Hard to believe there was a hardware change within two years that’s the issue, but I suppose it’s possible. Maybe a Bluetooth component that changed or something.

It’ll be great when they move on to PiviPro and leave this behind. There’s a rumor it’ll happen for ‘21 models on Sports and Disco’s.
  • Labbix

It does work on MY18 without ACP.
    Where do the rumors come from regarding pivi in MY21 Disco? I suppose the mid console will be changed similar as the disco sport as well then. Together with new engines will give a totally new car...
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

There has been a press release regarding the tweaked Sport and apparently that has it.
  • eelpout
    United States 

I had confirmation today that there indeed is a system difference between the model ‘17 and later years; that year’s Disco is apparently built on Ford’s older SDD system before they switched to Pathfinder, if you want to get get nerdy. The ‘17 is sort of emulating later years Pathfinder at this point.

So... time for me to let the text messaging thing go. Smile
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

What do later year cars do that is different to the text readout that I have on my MY17?
  • eelpout
    United States 

It's probably easier to just read the manual page for text messages from the owner site.
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

When I get a message the display asks if I would like to play the message. I press the play button and a voice reads the message. We have great fun sending rude messages so the car can read them out. Childish I know 😁
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

mine does it through Android Auto, for SMS and WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger. Love the way she says some thing though (just need to remember when the kids are in the car lol)

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum