Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Whining noise at slow speed

At 29mph to be exact.

When I am driving slowly increasing speed or slowing down there is a whining/droning noise that peaks at 29mph.

It may be there at higher speeds but the higher engine noise masks it.

It’s not a rhythmic noise ...so nothing stuck. It’s a continuous drone that changes tone with decreasing /increasing road speed around the 25-32mph range. Most evident when coasting or holding the speed at exactly 29mph.
    It’s not engine revs related ....I’ve dropped it into neutral at 30mph and the whine is constant when revving.
    I’ve used gears shift to hold it in specific gears at 30mph and the noise is still there.

I am wondering if it is a drive coupling or wheel bearing or something like that?

I will have to let the dealer drive it...it’s easy to replicate. But I am not confident,in their fault finding mechanic skills on something the diagnostics can’t identify (assuming diagnostics can’t identify it). So would appreciate suggestions I can throw at them to help them along.

Thanks

D5 Si6
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

How many miles on your tires?
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

Noise sounds more mechanical.
  • Slug
    United Kingdom 

I sometimes get that whining noise when SWMBO is with me in the car
    Laughing
  • Milky400
    United Kingdom 

What engine?

My 3 month old sd6 is currently sat at the dealers awaiting diagnostics from Land Rover as I to have a whining noise, but mine is rpm related. Also have a engine rattle around 1000-1500 rpm
  • John C
    United Kingdom 

Hi - sorry to drag up an old thread... did you get this sorted please?

2024 Defender 130 Outbound Dynamic HSE, Carpathian Grey
    2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey, 2005 TDV6 D3, Cairns Blue 290K miler.
  • teaman
    United Kingdom 

Mine whines at those speeds when it’s cold (sounds a bit like muffled bumper car). Either it goes or I don’t notice it later in the journey. Mine has done about 9k miles.

I just assume it’s the diffs, transmission or transfer boxes with cold oil. It hasn’t gotten any worse, and if it goes wrong that will be JLRs problem.

Doesn’t bother me, but I’m not saying it’s the same as anyone else’s noise. Naturally asking the dealer to
    investigate a bothersome noise whilst under warranty is a sensible idea.
  • Milky400
    United Kingdom 

It sat there for 4 weeks undiagnosed, it was returned after LR technical said to undo and reposition gearbox. It was fine for a week but soon came back.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

Just an interim update on my OP for information.... dealer believes noise is a front driveshaft issue and has scheduled in a strip down and rebuild. Watch this space.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

Seems to have been correct diagnosis by dealers engineers....all gone quiet.
    Should not have been so disparaging of their prowess.
  • Whippetman
    England 

Slug wrote:
    I sometimes get that whining noise when SWMBO is with me in the car
    Laughing

Funny that...me too😂😂😂😂😂

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

Turning into a bit of an anorak

I shouldn’t have spoken too soon. The droning noise hasn’t been sorted despite fitting a wheel bearing ( the super techs diagnosis).

I have recorded the frequency of the droning noise and it appears to be ‘pulsing’ around every 0.75 sec.
    So wherever the noise is originating it is rotating at about 1.5-2 Rev/sec.

My size road wheels (22”...od 29” ) rotate at 5.6rev/sec at 30mph.

So the source of the noise is rotating at round about 1/3 of the speed of the road wheels.

Which suggests to me that it’s INTO the differential not OUT to the drive wheels.

Thoughts?
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

2nd anniversary fix?

At the risk of tempting fate I am pleased to announce that tomorrow my car will be going into the dealer to make a final attempt to fix the noise that developed in November 2020.

The pandemic, people shortages, JLR intransigence & procedural obstinacy, blinkered ineffective dealer personnel, courtesy car unavailability, parts on back order and even ‘necessary tools’ unavailability have all
    conspired to drag this out.

In fairness the dealers have made several misguided attempts to fix it over the years without success and the vehicle has benefited from several new parts it didn’t need.

I am now hoping that thanks to a forum members suggestion, which I have passed on to the dealers (and convinced them it’s worth trying) we may be at the end of the road on this issue.

I say ‘end of the road’ because if it fails to solve the problem (or god forbid makes it worse) then the car will be sold and sadly my period as a LR owner will come to an end!

The D500 (renamed because every time it has visited the garage for non warranty work it cost at least £500) has been a lovely car to drive. I dearly hope they can stop the irritating noise and I can continue to post on this forum more than a fond farewell.

Everyone hold their breath.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

🙏

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I’ve had an irritating squeak at a certain speed from day one. I’ve just got used to it tbh.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum