Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Just for info, the chassis number on my D5 is HA000408 so in theory it was the 408th off the production line. So it is an early one.

I am very happy with it.

It has been almost faultless except for the window leaking (common fault that was covered under warranty).

The oil dilution complaints have not shown up on mine at all but I had already asked the dealer to update it when I bought it 2 years ago. It was exhibition stock so it was "new" even though it was actually 2 years old. It had a mileage of only 70kms so for me that was a new vehicle.

It also has the deployable towbar. Works great. Advise you to spray the mechanism (in particular the small spring for the electric socket) with white grease regularly to stop it from corroding. This is apparently the biggest issue with the deployable towbar.

I use mine for pulling my Ifor trailer with 2 Friesian horses on a regular basis. It does it with total easy. I often do longer trips with the horses (500kms is common) and the D5 shows no sign of stress.

All in all... It is a really nice comfortable vehicle and I have NO plans on replacing it!!!!!
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

JIMBG... What number was yours? Is your earlier than mine? 😀
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Mine is a 2017 HSE, #23915, procured in August 2017. It too has been flawless aside from the window leak, and an RF module failure (the activity key still worked to lock/unlock it). I still get the false dilution warning after all applicable TSBs applied, but I ignore it. 41,000+ hard mountain miles on the clock.

Since there's currently no plan to bring a diesel back to the States, and after a quick check of the configurator, I can't get what I have today in terms of other options. My spec is perfect for me right now...so I'll be keeping mine for a long time as well.
  • bammmy

Hi, Following on from my earlier post about my SDV6 engine, I should have said I have had absolutely no problem with mine, or the car at all. Good luck with your search👍
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

nebc100 wrote:
    JIMBG... What number was yours? Is your earlier than mine? 😀

I have sold it now, but on the dealers paperwork that bought it, it says chassis no: HA007914 so I guess that is the key part of the VIN.

I guess yours was a demo model or something, I am fairly sure mine was the first at my dealer and I confirmed my order it after seeing it at the Paris Motor Show in 2016

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

So I beat you there... mine was a REALLY early one. 😀😀

My one was actually bought by the LR dealer here in Luxembourg to show what could be done with the D5 to make a great off-roader. Consequently, it had all the off-road packs, diffs, roof rack etc. It also had off-road tires, spot lights on roof rack. All this based on an HSE Luxury with virtually ALL options.

The dealer had never registered it, and had only used it as a publicity vehicle at horse shows etc.

When I bought it, it was still classified as a “new” vehicle, so I still have another year of LR warranty on it even though the vehicle is a 2017.

I think that the only thing that I regret with this model is that it will not read SMS messages to me from my phone. This is a feature that I really miss, but not enough to make me unhappy with the vehicle.
  • Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I understand that the oil dilution issue in TD6 has been fixed (or the warning turned off?) but my TD6 needed oil changes every 4500 miles and I was only doing long journeys. Eventually I had to get rid. Dealing with LR was painful. Anyway my SD6 has been fine. D4 before was fine. D3 before was a disaster.
    Buy a SD6.
  • winmar
    Germany 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

If opting for the SDV6 make sure to have one with the dynamic control option. Gives a better body control which coupled with the 306bhp is a better driving experience.

No experience with oil dilution issue even considering that past 12 months the drives moreover have been short distance or non existing during the week. But we do not have any towing hobbies.

D5 HSE - Delivered! Smile & D3 HSE 60 Years Edition - preparing full tlc and MOT pass
    D2 Highlander - Gone but not forgotten
  • Flinders
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I think my best option is to go and test drive the TD6 and an SD6. I have actually seen a very nice one in Guy Salmon’s Kent. Might give them a call tomorrow as it doesn’t say tow bar but the electrics are there in the photo.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

risky...not had any issues with my Td6 engine. It did have an early oil change then had the n241 update that either cures or masks it, as been close on 16k between services since. Obviously the Sd6 has more go and uses slightly less fuel, depends how much more an Sd6 is going to cost you....both engines are now no longer used by JLR.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I have a TD6 and since the software update I have had no issues with having to change oil before the annual service. I believe the 2 additional oil changes in the first year (at 3 months and 6 months) are a good thing, it clears out any metal particles from the engine components bedding in.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Qwertyd5x wrote:
    I understand that the oil dilution issue in TD6 has been fixed (or the warning turned off?) but my TD6 needed oil changes every 4500 miles and I was only doing long journeys. Eventually I had to get rid. Dealing with LR was painful. Anyway my SD6 has been fine. D4 before was fine. D3 before was a disaster.
    Buy a SD6.

Your Td6 only requested oil changes every 4500 miles, it certainly did not *need* oil changes every 4500 miles.

I have had all North American updates/TSBs applied, and it still requests oil changes every 4500 miles or so. I have tested my oil regularly and never once has dilution been a concern - only once was it measured near 3%, with the limit supposedly 6%, and that was before my second oil change in the car. Since then it's either been undetectable or less than 2%.

I ignore my service request and change on mileage interval or time only, not when it says it needs it. 10,000miles is a convenient interval. If it's out of warranty, switch to Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 and your oil can go the full 16,000 mile interval - the Castrol stuff is too thin to start and doesn't have enough TBN to go more than 10,000 miles.

The question between a Td6 and SDV6 should be answered by the seat of your pants if your wallet doesn't have any concerns. I for one wish my Td6 made closer to 300hp, but I'm an American so the answer is always more horsepower.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

hehe can never have enough HP or Torque....but the Td6 is not an engine to complain about from my 26 months experience...

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I agree it may not have needed the oil changes, but if new £70k machine under warranty requests an oil change, that is effectively the same as need. Particularly when dealing with Land Rover!
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Absolutely, otherwise we all know JLR would say it has not been serviced according to the manufacturers recommendation thus any warranty is void.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum