Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Still feels on paper like it is no longer a serious 4x4, have to admit that along with the lack of low range (and unknown which engine will blow up next) is probably making me think I'll not bother with something that is no longer the car it and others think it is and just go for a normal SUV that doesn't pretend to be anything more when I renew next year.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Ecosse
    United Kingdom 

So, does this mean that in "Normal" TR mode, the 21MY Disco is not actually in 4 wheel drive? - I'm sure the D4 was always in 4wd & could not be switched to 2wd, and had assumed the D5 (pre-21MY) was the same?
    I can't find any mention of this on JLR's website! - is it just the MY21 D5 that has gone this way, or does it apply to other LR models?
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

The D5 upto 20my had same driveline as D4 which is permanent 4wd, at 21my the new driveline is introduced which can be 4wd with varying torque to front, or for cruising will revert to rear wheel drive only, with drive to front being reconnected if required based on a number of different inputs, such as speed, wheel slip, steering angle.
    This is new I6 petrol and diesel D5 and currently 21my I6D defender.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Farmerben
    United Kingdom 

mordred1973 wrote:
    Still feels on paper like it is no longer a serious 4x4, have to admit that along with the lack of low range (and unknown which engine will blow up next) is probably making me think I'll not bother with something that is no longer the car it and others think it is and just go for a normal SUV that doesn't pretend to be anything more when I renew next year.

Does "on paper" matter? If it's still as capable then surely that irrelevant. And if it isn't as capable but you'd be ok with a "normal" SUV then surely that doesn't matter either?
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

other than a normal SUV is thousands cheaper, likely to be half as troublesome and perhaps have dealers who want a customer?

To me the point of buying a Landrover was it's image of 4x4 go places others couldn't think of, without permanent 4WD that image is instantly gone and makes it just another large SUV

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Farmerben
    United Kingdom 

But have you seen any evidence that it isn't as capable? People said the same when LR moved away from ladder chassis and beam axles but every modern LR is as good around Eastnor as the old ones.

And all other premium SUVs (X5, Q7, Merc, Porsche) are Disco money. Sure the Skoda Kodiaq is a great value 7 seater but not quite the same league in terms of styling.
  • Jay
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

mordred1973 wrote:
    other than a normal SUV is thousands cheaper, likely to be half as troublesome and perhaps have dealers who want a customer?

To me the point of buying a Landrover was it's image of 4x4 go places others couldn't think of, without permanent 4WD that image is instantly gone and makes it just another large SUV

Seriously you bought a Landrover purely on its image of 4x4 go anywhere?
    This is where your problem lies.
    What ever Landrover does with its Disco you clearly will never be in a position to use a tiny proportion of its off road capability.
    So now they call the drive train AWD you think it is comparable to a Honda CRV??????

To put this in perspective, the Landrover Discovery stopped being a serious off road machine years ago. For a start you cannot get one with 16 inch wheels which is the ideal size for airing down. They do not have live axels, which provide the best articulation, they do not have front lockers, and finally air suspension is simply too complex for true off roading.

Disco’s are incredibly capable cars that will take you further off road than most, but they are not true off road cars.

If all you care about is true off road capability go buy a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.
  • Lotusdmc
    United Kingdom 

Jayd5 wrote:
    Permanent 4WD has constant drive to all 4 wheels but has a twin speed box and centre diff. The centre diff can lock the power to front and rear axles to act like a 4WD on loose surfaces. All Discovery’s, Range Rovers have always used this

May be semantics but The MY20 Si4 Discovery comes with permanent 4WD but via a single speed transfer case with Torsen centre diff with a 42/58 percent front-rear torque split, which can range to a 78/22 percent torque split when conditions allow. Also an option on RRS. Looks like this 'New' 4WD system is a development of this to give 100/0 split, For most just means the rear tyres now wear out first !

MY20 HSE Lux Si4, Carpathian Grey, Light Oyster, Extended Leather, Dynamic Pack 1, Black Roof, Black Roof Rails, Privacy Glass, 22inch Wheels, Park Heat, 3rd Row Heated Seats
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Trevorb1 wrote:
    The D5 upto 20my had same driveline as D4 which is permanent 4wd, at 21my the new driveline is introduced which can be 4wd with varying torque to front, or for cruising will revert to rear wheel drive only, with drive to front being reconnected if required based on a number of different inputs, such as speed, wheel slip, steering angle.
    This is new I6 petrol and diesel D5 and currently 21my I6D defender.

Trevor
    Where did you get this information please?

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Ecosse
    United Kingdom 

From LR's own site, they show that the 4x4 screen on the MY2021 still shows 2 Diffs (I assume the rear is open unless the locking optional extra is specified as in MY2020), so LR themselves seem to be regarding the central "system" as being a locking diff !
    See https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/docume...c/G2723434
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Have a look at the LR Homepage under Technologies.

If that's true (and I guess it is), they have done the same to the Disco what they did to the RRS.
    That's why Low Range - Gearbox is now optional. BUT if you get one with Low Range, you will get the permanent 4 WD too. That's how I understand it, at least. This is not a bad thing, it's just 2 different technologies. One is better for urban use and short term offroad use, the other one is better for long term offroad abuse.

Greets,
    Hauser

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Here is the link to the Defender 2 forum where its discussed

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic75540.html

Assuming that posts OK, this appears to be from an official Landrover document, describes how the new system works, in addition to Defender I6D also fitted to D5 I6D & P. Worked on this for 4+ years before taking VR when furlough ended.

D5 comes as single speed as std and twin as an option, both use the same working principle of clutch to drive front prop and front diff disconnect.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Good explanation.

Looks like yet another bit of tech that in JLR standard form will go wrong often and cost a fortune to fix....assuming the D6 engine is more robust than the Sd4 its based upon, if not the engine will probably go bang before the clutches in the new transmission wear out (since it clearly says the clutches are slipped to vary the drive between axles, there will be clutch wear....)

• eelpout
    United States 

mordred1973 wrote:

Haven't seen one in person yet, but the redesigned 2022 Acura MDX looks pretty nice for what it is.
  • BSE Disco
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Loire Blue

Given LR are only charging £310 for the low range transfer box I should think it’s fitted to all the cars, if you select the option they just enable it. A bit like the centre diff lock in the early D2s which was fitted but with no means of engaging.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum