Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 4x4newbie
    United Kingdom 

Worried about break in and theft

Hi All, I'm considering getting a Discovery 5 however I'm worried about break in's and theft of keys to get it. I've seen it's in the top 10 for most stolen vehicles and with kids and pets in the home I have to be honest it does concern me.

We have the best locks for the doors recently fitted and a CCTV and Ring set up but you hear about thieves barging into homes to get keys etc..
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

If it’s a MY18 onwards, it has better security in regards to keyless theft, it if someone wants it, it will go whatever you try. So buy and enjoy, there are bigger things in life to worry about.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

You've done the most important things, such as anti-snap locks on the house etc. Now all you'd need to do is;

1. Deactivate keyless.

With the key fob inside car and the driver's door open, press the headlight button on the key fob 3 times, then press the unlock button on the key fob. Lock the car, and job-done, keyless is permanently deactivated and you don't have to worry about faraday pouches etc to protect against relay theft.

2. Buy a Disklok. It's all about layers of security, not just the invisible ones.

Smile

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

If its 2018my> you don't need to deactivate keyless Wink
  • GLYNNE
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

Pop my keys next to these to look after Very Happy

• Whippetman
    England 

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

DG wrote:

Do tell, how does 18MY> protect against relay theft?

• mwsedgwick

Surprised by this thread.

When we collect ours this week the dealership made a point about highlighting that the keys have signal codes that change every 5 seconds so it would be impossible to repeat the signal. I'm sure he said that a Discovery 5 has never been stolen by signal repeaters!?!

Also, highlighted the inbuilt tracker which is included.

I do however need to change where we store our keys overnight. Currently in full view on window sill or left in the front door over night!!!!
  • Whippetman
    England 

If you have a tracker fitted it will work.
    See my image when vehicle is being removed inside the truck.
    15 minutes after removal I got a call and text to contact control centre as vehicle was sending correct theft alert.Tracker is LR standard equipment on my 17 HSE Lux.👍

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

mwsedgwick wrote:
    Surprised by this thread.

When we collect ours this week the dealership made a point about highlighting that the keys have signal codes that change every 5 seconds so it would be impossible to repeat the signal. I'm sure he said that a Discovery 5 has never been stolen by signal repeaters!?!

Also, highlighted the inbuilt tracker which is included.

I do however need to change where we store our keys overnight. Currently in full view on window sill or left in the front door over night!!!!

'Repeating' and 'relay' are two different types of thefts. Repeating 'grabs' the signal while it's being transmitted and stores it on a blank key/system to be used later, this is what the new rolling code system apparently stops. But... relay uses the signal 'live' so rolling codes don't stop it. This is the reason why I disable keyless on all my cars...

https://leasing.com/guides/relay-car-theft...-avoid-it/

So your dealer wasn't fibbing, but he wasn't telling you the whole story.

The standard 'Secure Tracker' has recently been downgraded by Thatcham to S7 (not insurance approved) level because it can be blocked/jammed within a matter of seconds and offers no protection against cloned keys. 'Secure Tracker Pro' is the new 'optional' service (it costs around £180 a year) and is S5 (insurance approved) level. Secure Tracker Pro has an extra chip in the keyfob which validates the key to the car when the car is being started, if the chip isn't identified it alerts Tracker HQ that your car has been started with a cloned key. On the remote app I also have “Guardian mode” switched on which alerts me as soon as the door is opened when I'm not with the car.

It's a bit of a rock and a hard place LR are in, they obviously don't want to be too blatant that their standard systems are so Censored -poor, but at the same time I personally think they don't do enough to advertise the merits of Secure Tracker Pro. For the sake of £180 a year to have a decent tracker, it's a no brainer IMO.

This is what the STP says on my InControl...

Click image to enlarge

Smile

• DG
    United Kingdom 

Windy Miller wrote:
    DG wrote:

Ultra-wideband ...renders interfering with the signal impossible.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 

LR have used it on certain models since 2018MY and all independent security tests failed to overcome it... here's an overview from BMW who are now introducing it

https://www.bmw.com/en/innovation/bmw-digi...eband.html
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

DG wrote:
    Windy Miller wrote:
    DG wrote:

Ultra-wideband ...renders interfering with the signal impossible.

Ah yes, UWB. I'd read that was now standard on e-pace, i-Pace, Discovery and FFRR, and from 2021 onwards(?), but my OCD couldn't/can't cope with not knowing if the prevention is actually there. I asked my dealer if it had UWB, but he could nether confirm or deny. There's nothing in the brochure to say it has UWB, so I'll keep Keyless disabled for the time being until I gain some more confidence. Good to know its potentially there though! Very Happy

• adds58
    United Kingdom 

Quote:

Click image to enlarge

Smile

Anyone know why secure tracker pro is £180 for one year but £710 for 3 years?

[/img]
  • Sacimiddx
    United Kingdom 

Keep the keys in a sealed tin
    Buy and fit a steering lock

Sleep well
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum