Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• dgardel
    Italy 

100% with Russel.

I tested both but at the end I choose the D5. Very very happy vith my choice....
  • Roli
    Switzerland 

And one more thing which made it a no-brainer for me.

In December when I have ordered I have got a 12% discount on a 2021 D5 whereas the most I would have gotten for a Defender was 6%, Reason given, Defender is new and LR expect to sell them like hot cakes.

That's a difference of about 6k which buys a lot of diesel.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Never test drove it but sat in it last month when car was in for its service. Looks nice from the outside, but more compact looking on the inside, especially the boot space.

Price wise compared to the D5 you get alot more bang for your buck with the D5 imo.

Agree with Russell that it's overpriced. However with regards to the interior finish I think they have deliberately dumbed it down as it's supposed to be more of a working interior, capable of taking a few bumps and scrapes, compared to the more luxury feel of the D5.

Just a pity they never cut the price of the vehicle to reflect this. My neighbour has bought a 70 plate one, so when I have time will pop round and have a proper look at it. He did say it feels light years ahead of his old defender and no issues when towing either.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Some great thoughts above.

I agree on the last post, it’s a very different interior finish, but to my mind it’s not cheapened, just robust vs. Luxury. The D5 ambience blows the German competition out of the water imho, and I’d rather the Defender interior than most of them too - as the controls ooze solidity and the design is interesting. I’d have a Defender over a X5 in a heartbeat, the touch points are way nicer.

Rather than the Defender being overpriced, I feel that the Discovery is underpriced and remains the bargain of the range. You get pretty much a base level Vogue interior in a HSE-L (and I assume that the facelift HSE is more in line with that than it is with the old HSE). And you get the 7 seats. And you get the space.

It’s a fantastic bargain compared with pretty much anything else out there.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

I had a loaner 6-in-line diesel for a day. The seating is higher then the D5 ; more 'command view'.
    But the seat is shorter, this I do not appreciate. The gearlever is in an odd position, the infotainment
    screen is too low positioned, you have to take your eyes off the road.

Then, the armrest on the door is positioned too low. Same issue I had in my F-Pace : they seem to
    use a flawed ergonomic model. Even the mechanic (1.70m tall), has this issue. So its not due to the
    fact that I'm 1.98m tall..

The steering wheel : yes its thicker and a better grip. BUT : I hate the fiddely buttons for the cruise control, and the steering wheel is too flat : my seat is further back, otherwise I don't fit.

Overall : not a big success. I bought my D5 after this test drive... Mr. Green

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Another comment.

I think the Discovery is designed around its volume, whereas the Defender interior volume is constricted by its design. Clearly different priorities between the two.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Farmerben
    United Kingdom 

2B wrote:
    I had a loaner 6-in-line diesel for a day. The seating is higher then the D5 ; more 'command view'.
    But the seat is shorter, this I do not appreciate. The gearlever is in an odd position, the infotainment

Then, the armrest on the door is positioned too low. Same issue I had in my F-Pace : they seem to
    use a flawed ergonomic model. Even the mechanic (1.70m tall), has this issue. So its not due to the

The steering wheel : yes its thicker and a better grip. BUT : I hate the fiddely buttons for the cruise control, and the steering wheel is too flat : my seat is further back, otherwise I don't fit.

Isn't the steering wheel on the new Defender the same as the 2021 Disco? (Just a bit more shiny)
  • Roli
    Switzerland 

I have asked that a little while ago but got no reply.
    Would prefer a beefier steering wheel than in the up to 2020 D5s and was hoping the 21 D5 will come with the same as the Defender.
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

Farmerben wrote:
    Isn't the steering wheel on the new Defender the same as the 2021 Disco? (Just a bit more shiny)

Yep, identical.

D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Farmerben wrote:
    2B wrote:

No - defender wheel is 40cm, Disco is 39cm. Spokes are different too.

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • Roli
    Switzerland 

..and are they of the same thickness or the Disco's thinner?
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

Windy Miller wrote:
    No - defender wheel is 40cm, Disco is 39cm. Spokes are different too.

You really think I'll take a tape measure to check this ?

The wheel is identical it what counts : the awkward switches.

And the more recent D5 has the same - crappy - switches.

Any car with those, I'll never buy !!!

• Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Roli wrote:
    ..and are they of the same thickness or the Disco's thinner?

They have the same button layouts, but the actual wheel is different. The defender wheel is 1cm larger, the wheel is thinner (to hold), the spokes also have holes in them. Smile

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • Roli
    Switzerland 

These are good news, thank u Windy Miller Thumbs Up
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

So wish we could get the D300 here in the US. Would make the D5 ideal, but I do enough off-roading that if we could get that engine, I'd have it in the Defender in a heartbeat.

Wonder if the 130 will offer the D350? Seems the extra size and mass would fit well with that powerplant.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum