Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Yeah completely agree. Of course, if money was a bit tight then I'd compromise as you obviously have to do when you younger with lower levels of income. However, the Disco even with all the options on it is still considerably cheaper than my M760Li so I'll already be saving plenty. That wasn't my goal of course, just happens to be the car I'd like to try next is all. A new and different experience Smile
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

The X7 is a good option, but I know you fancy a change from Munich. Much the same here. Technically the X7 is brilliant, but it leaves one a bit cold.

Could you live without 7 seats and take a FFRR? That’s a life experience box tick and must come with serious discounts once the new model gets announced. When I ordered my second D5 in Feb 2020, a FFRR was not much more expensive - think it was the Westminster. Discounts were around double the D5 discount.

As I’ve posted in other threads, tempted with changing the D5 purely due to sky high values and having ticked the luxury SUV box over two years. A more prosaic Korean or Japanese SUV/crossover actually holds a lot of appeal for me as something different - non-Germanic, non-premium and a different approach.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Yeah, I don't need the 7 seats, just fancied it as would be useful on the odd occasions. You know where you end up taking two cars to visit a place when the parents or friends are over, would be able to do it with just one. That was the reason for 7 seats and ultimately I thought the Disco was premium and comfortable enough to be happy with it.

I did consider the FFRR but it probably would just annoy me that I didn't have the new one so timing is just completely wrong on that.

Well just have to see what happens, I've not had a delay communicated to me yet. Would depend on the length of the delay I guess and / or if they tried to cut options off my build. Hard to say what I'd do upfront but I do kind of feel it's going to be inevitable that I'll have some delay.

I haven't driven or even seen one but the Kia Sorento might be a budget option I guess to sit things out until the supply chain issues resolve. The new one has a PHEV option in a 7 seater so they obviously worked out where to stash the batteries other than in the boot. Smile
  • drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

FastLaneJB wrote:
    It is a good point and yes I'm aware options almost never affect the resale value of the car so from a financial point of view aren't very sensible. It's more just I like my cars and I tend to want them to be complete, even if I do rarely use an option.

To me I'd say it's the cost of an experience. We pay money to go on holidays and end up with nothing at all to show for it other than the memories, I view this kind of the same. Yes it does get me from A to B but if that's all I needed a small cheap hatchback would be enough.

Ultimately work hard, this is one of the luxuries I like to treat myself to. Smile

Having said what I said, I completely agree with your point - I have a few options on my HSE which are in the "nice to have" category which will never pay back on resale. But if one or two of your options are delaying delivery as well, then they might be worth a re-think!
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Just had a chat on this and amazingly the date with the dealer on this one hasn't moved yet and still mid November. Also had them check the options list as I know things like HUD are no longer available but it's still listed on the vehicle.

Won't count my chickens yet, still a month and a half to go roughly but I'm surprised.

Also mentioned new orders are quoted a year now but think we knew that already.
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

My order has been pushed back yet again . Told today that delivery is expected about mid December. It was supposed to be built early October. Ordered way back at the end of March. ☹️

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Didn’t say which year per chance?
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

BigCol66 wrote:
    My order has been pushed back yet again . Told today that delivery is expected about mid December. It was supposed to be built early October. Ordered way back at the end of March. ☹️

That worries me. My order from middle of the year though apparently hasn't slipped yet and is still mid November... Just dont know if that's just Land Rover not updating correctly or what but means my later order is pushing in front of you in the queue.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Motorway now suggests £65k as a starting bid on my 14 month old one. They’re listing at £70k+ with dealers. The supply squeeze is really huge on this brand in particular.

Then again, there is a Golf R on autotrader for £60k Laughing

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

When I sold my D5 through Motorway the dealer listed it for about £5k more than he paid me.

Seems a fair margin to me.

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Yep, totally agree on that margin being fair Jimbg. I used the retail price example to demonstrate that the motorway valuation seemed realistic and achievable.

The list of mine, including the deployable steps added subsequently, would have been around £82k. The motorway valuation is based on a basic HSE Luxury so i would expect to clear the £65k quite easily.

If only I could stop prevaricating on what to replace it with - but the value has only been climbing while I’ve done so.

• drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

On the Land Rover approved used site:

New Discovery R-Dynamic SE
    D300 Diesel MHEV Automatic

5,504 miles
    Reg 2021

Options: They are mixing standard features with added options so difficult to sort out but basically a few things like black roof, electric tow bar, privacy glass

The price: £99,950.00

Maybe a mistake?

Next in line is a similar car, 4,600 miles, £80K. Still way over list price of a new one!
  • Ade
    United Kingdom 

BigCol66 wrote:

I usually receive an update on the first week of the month, so will see what next beings!

Last update for me was delivery to the dealer of 26th November, and that was me placing the order on 24th March
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

I just don't think JLR are building many cars at all at the moment. As an employee of a company which supplies JLR we are supplying very few parts. We keep being told next month they will want more but it's not happening.

• BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Ade wrote:
    BigCol66 wrote:

I usually receive an update on the first week of the month, so will see what next beings!

Last update for me was delivery to the dealer of 26th November, and that was me placing the order on 24th March

What extras have you ordered? maybe they have a big effect on delivery date.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum