Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Bursztyn
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

I have just built an HSE R-Dynamic D300 online and noticed that the HUD is no longer listed as an option. Interestingly this option has also been deleted from the Range Rover. Expect this further confirms the acute shortage of semiconductors at JLR's production facilities.
    Having had the HUD in my last Discovery HSE I can honestly say I can live without this option particularly if it doesn't cause further production delay. On that, have been quoted anything from 3 to 6 months Rolling Eyes
  • JackNorris
    United Kingdom 

I have also heard that the deployable tow bar is causing some delays

MY2020 Discovert 5 Landmark 3.0 | MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - Gone| MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD | MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD
  • Bursztyn
    United Kingdom 

Yes, I heard this too although the option remains for factory build. For my rare use, I have chosen the Detachable Tow Bar option priced at a more reasonable £780.
    My wife and I are going to the dealer tomorrow to finalise our colour choice and to sign the order with the final long (very long!) list of options. Top of our colour choice is Lantau Bronze.
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

I have had an update on my expected delivery and its the first update that has not moved back. I ordered at the end of March and the expected delivery is the end of October. That still makes it 7 months.

Discovery 5 HSE Dynamic D300
  • Craigp
    England 

I was filling out configurator for carwow or coast2coast can't remember which. A flag popped saying warning 12 month delivery expected or words to that effect.
  • Bursztyn
    United Kingdom 

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/a...odels.html

This same news from JLR was also reported in the Daily Express and other press last week. Although the article focuses on leasing companies another article said this has a knock-on effect on private buyers. I'll try and find that one and will post it here.

My dealer estimated 6 to 9 months but that was a week or so before this latest bombshell from JLR. I'm not prepared to wait a year or more so may well pull out.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Dealers blow smoke up your bottom for a sale, then add on a couple of weeks, going to a month, then two etc.

Anyway, even Drive the Deal is saying 12 months, no doubt it will be more than they suggest.

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Checked with a local dear. Here’s his reply. With the best will in the world, even if I was interested, I wouldn’t wait a year plus.

“Thanks for your enquiry today on a new Land Rover Discovery, lead time for this is approximately 12 months, if you would like any more information or if you would like to arrange a demonstration, please contact me on the number below or by e mail and we can arrange a suitable day and time.”
  • Ade
    United Kingdom 

I placed the order for mine on the 24th March 2021 and have just received an email this morning advising of a further delay to delivery.

Now expected 26th November 2021 Big Cry
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Have you ordered the HUD and deployable tow bar Ade?

Discovery 5 HSE Dynamic D300
  • Ade
    United Kingdom 

Yeah, I've got a deployable towbar on my build
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

This is all very strange. I got an update today and my car is being moved forwards and will be ready a month earlier… OK I’m obviously pulling your leg Very Happy

I’ve not had an update on my car for a little bit so no doubt they just don’t want to tell me now the news isn’t good. After all I think I’ve ticked to have all the microchips possible in my car so it was bound to happen.

Would have to think what I might do if it ends up being closer to a year or they try to remove options I’ve selected. I suspect I might lean towards cancelling, getting some cheapish second hand car to tide me over while all of this is sorted out. The problem then is late 2022 the Model S Plaid would be available in the UK so not sure if I’d come back to the Disco. That and this would be much closer to the release of a brand new model which would also put me off.

Be a bit gutted though, looking forward to not having a saloon and trying this SUV lark.
  • drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

Hi

Just a couple of thoughts for a compromise:

Can your dealer (or land rover customer service) identify whether any specific options are causing the holdup? If you knew what there were you might adjust the spec to get earlier delivery

If you will forgive a personal but well meant comment, you seem to be going for a lot of options - IMHO they add a lot to the purchase price but may make little difference on resale. You may find the valuation is done on the model, colour and engine with very little account taken of the options so you suffer a lot of depreciation

Removing certain options might give you a double benefit in the long run...
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

It is a good point and yes I'm aware options almost never affect the resale value of the car so from a financial point of view aren't very sensible. It's more just I like my cars and I tend to want them to be complete, even if I do rarely use an option.

To me I'd say it's the cost of an experience. We pay money to go on holidays and end up with nothing at all to show for it other than the memories, I view this kind of the same. Yes it does get me from A to B but if that's all I needed a small cheap hatchback would be enough.

Ultimately work hard, this is one of the luxuries I like to treat myself to. Smile

I mean don't know what's going to happen, I can wait longer as current car doesn't need to go back until March 2022. Just going beyond that would leave me with needing a stop gap if I had to wait longer as wife has got pulled back to the office so back to needing two cars vs being fine with one.

Guess the BMW X7 could still be an option but I do definitely like the Disco more. I believe how they've been dealing with the chip shortage is stripping options from the cheaper / lower end cars to make sure the options are still possible and delivery times are sensible on the high end models.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I’m rather like you FastlaneJB in wanting all/most options on a car. Tend to like it to have most things. Both my HSE Luxury D5s came with another £5k or so of options attached. Probably just things like the lockable rear diff were missed off (pre facelifts were already more off-road biased than the post facelift mechanical setup I believe), as I knew I wouldn’t challenge it off road. When I respecced post rejection, it was an opportunity to review and drop items, but that didn’t happen - I took them all again.

I actually sat in a facelift model for the first time at the dealer. It was a HSE which is the top model now that the HSE L is gone and I was actually surprised at how much they have changed the top model. Mine has lots of leather across the dashboard and door tops, I guess that is all optional now. It was a key part of the appeal for me as it feels very Range Rover inside. My neighbours FFRR was almost identical inside bar the lower touchscreen.

Also agree that I’m paying for the experience, as you say a holiday is a reasonable analogy. Any number of second hand cars would do the job that I ask of it. But I like to spec to my exact wishes and know that it’s mine from the beginning. Same in a hotel, a comfy bed, decent bathroom and aircon is all that’s needed, but I would rather stay somewhere truly memorable.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum