Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Spuffington
    United Kingdom 

Water leak - passenger footwell (MY21)

Wonder if anyone has had any experience with water leaks in the later model D5's?

When I bought the car as approved used from JLR Rockar Canary Wharf in Nov 23, I collected it with wet carpet mats. This was blamed at the time on "overzealous valeting" but it appeared too wet for that IMO. We subsequently found the windscreen was illfitting and it went back in March for that to be taken out, refitted and resealed, which cured the problem of water ingress on the inside of the glass plus the huge amount of windnoise >60mph which we were also experiencing.

Fast forward to August and I start noticing a small amount of moisture under the passenger rubber floor mat as I was cleaning. I dried this out with those dehumidifier bags and the 40C heat of French holiday with the doors open. I informed JLR Rockar who ignored my emails. I then wondered with it dry whether it was residual damp from the earlier issues with the windscreen.

However, after the torrential rain of the last couple of days in the SE and the fact the inside of the car has started misting heavily, I checked under the mat again today and found demonstrable moisture (underside of mat is wet) and what looks like mould forming around the mat retainer. It does seem somewhat localised to the lowest left hand side of the footwell (but guess that's where water finds a level). I cant' really feel any moisture (I don't think) on the A-pillar or headlining so my assumption is still the windscreen.

I'm about to escalate the issue at Rockar given it's been present since I bought it. Does anyone have any experience of this on later MY cars? I thought it was an issue with pre-facelift only?

We love the car and spent a decent a bit of money on getting side steps, roofbars and mudflaps fitted to it recently but I cannot live with a perpetual leak and will move the car on if this is a recurring issue which cannot be fixed. Sad

2021 Discovery MHEV D300 R-Dynamic HSE
    Towing Pack, Roofrails, Fixed Sidesteps, Fr & R Mudguards, Cooler Cubby, Surround Sound
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Have you checked if there is/was water in the recess of the mirror in the back of the sun visor?

This was the only evidence the windscreen was leaking that I found, when my carpet was wet.

I “refilled it” with a garden hose!!

Other people’s leaks went into the dashboard…mine just dripped off the sun visor onto the floor.

Autoglass technician, that refitted my windscreen in 2022 (done specifically at my premises so I could talk to the guys doing it) said they were seeing quite a few leaking newer models….so not consigned to pre 2019.
  • Chalkey
    England 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Indus Silver

My first Discovery on a 17 plate had a leak on the windscreen it was refitted by Landrover. Then two year later it started leaking again my warranty had just run out and my dealer couldn’t repair until the following week. Which I was unhappy about that, they wanted me to pay for the repair and try to claim the cost back from Landrover. I decided to get it refitted my self, it cost £120. I was to do with the top of the screen not being primed correctly so the glue didn’t stick properly. The earlier car had this problem, I felt the dealer couldn’t be trusted to refit the screen correctly. Also it was cheaper getting a windscreen company to do the job

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails, side steps & mud flaps and dash cam front & back..
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • Chalkey
    England 

Just realised your car is 21 reg though Landrover would have sorted the problem out by now. I’ve also got a 21 reg I’ll be keeping a beady eye on my windscreen.

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails, side steps & mud flaps and dash cam front & back..
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • Spuffington
    United Kingdom 

Thank you for the replies chaps. I’ve been all around the headlining, sun visors and other footwells and can’t find anything damp. The only place where it’s sopping wet is the passenger footwell.

I’ve asked the dealer to come back to me with a plan: this has been ongoing from purchase. If they don’t come up with a convincing proposal then I’ll speak with JLR Finance about rejecting it. Shame as I love the car but having had a wet 550i about 10yrs ago which BMW could never get to the bottom of the problem with, I don’t want to saddle myself with an issue forevermore.

Are Defenders any better?

Towing Pack, Roofrails, Fixed Sidesteps, Fr & R Mudguards, Cooler Cubby, Surround Sound
  • Spuffington
    United Kingdom 

• John77
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Fuji White

Might be worth checking further back. See this previous post for a couple of ideas.
    https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread3841.html

MY19 HSE SDV6 Fuji White - roof rails + bars, privacy glass, HUD, adaptive LED, deployable tow bar, 360º cameras, side steps.
  • Chalkey
    England 

I was unhappy with JLR I wanted them to extend the warranty which they wouldn’t, when I had my leaks water was dripping into the front passenger foot wells fuse box. Which water and electrics don’t go well together, just out the warranty the battery failed at a cost to me of £300.

I was sick of JLR and sold my first Discovery when it was 4 years old, if it wasn’t such a brilliant car to drive I wouldn’t have bought a second one. My family and friends thought I was crazy going back to JLR, but I’m giving them a second chance hopefully 🤞 I’ll be ok.

Check your fuse box for water 👍

• Spuffington
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I’m still waiting on an email from Rockar. Although it’s not unsurprising I haven’t heard from their Aftersales Manager since during my first complaint he promised multiple times to get in touch but never did and passed the messages through others. But I at least expected a response from their Complaints department. I have an auto generated acknowledgment of receipt but to not actually hear from someone to say they’re taking it seriously is a big misstep.

As it happened, I found myself back in Canary Wharf for a client meeting this morning. I took the opportunity whilst there to pop into the showroom and make a bit of noise about my issue.
    The Saleslady pulled up my file and took some notes and promised to escalate to both her manager and back to the Aftersales Manager I’ve already referenced above.

Let’s see what happens now. Can’t say I’m overly optimistic and am already prepared to have to bring in JLR Financial Services. Sad

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

If they are anything like my local dealership I didn’t get anywhere with the sales team. Once they had sold me the car they seemed to vanish.

However they had a Warranty Manager who I engaged directly and got him to progress my work.
    He seemed to be more proactive maybe as it was his main role or perhaps a nicer person.
  • thrillernight
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Fuji White

ugh, water leaks are the worst. I feel for you. Maybe try putting some food coloring in water and spraying it around to see where it's coming in? Could help pinpoint the issue for the techs.
  • Spuffington
    United Kingdom 

So an update on this (of sorts).

Rockar continued stonewalling me in spite of multiple emails and visits to their Showroom to express my dissatisfaction. I ended up escalating to JLR Finance and have provided with them with the full email trail to prove that this has been an issue since Point of Sale. The issue is that being 11months into ownership, in spite of this being an ever-present issue from day one, we need to prove "beyond reasonable doubt" that the issue existed at PoS. I think what I've got is sufficient - JLR Finance are busy forming an opinion but have opened an official complaint.

Let's see. There is a substantial volume of water in there. I removed the door trim the other day and wet-vac'd the area - below are videos which show just how saturated the area is. The carpet is really wet at the lowest point but it's difficult to feel real damp further up the footwell towards the glovebox. I put my hand behind it and couldn't feel any moisture in the wadding behind the glovebox or any signs of moisture anywhere else in the centre console. However, I am wondering if the windscreen is at fault....

Let's see. In any event, with three small children and our own health to consider, I do want this fixed and dried out or I will have to consider moving on the car as I'm not willing to have us exposed to mould spores over the longer term.

https://youtube.com/shorts/S6TxCOA6ZAQ?si=uwX6jNkMcxcZtCzO

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZnDLHppZ5Jk?si=gT58eODwNUqidGn3

• chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I have the same issue and am currently stumped. My carpet is as wet as yours shown in your video.

I have pulled the carpet up from the passenger footwell as far as I can to mop up and try and observe where water can be coming in.

It does not appear to be a windscreen issue, as the headlining and around the mirror is dry and looks OK.

The front sunroof drains come out above the windscreen so no longer run in tubes down the a-pillar like in earlier models. Although some water was passing under the external a-pillar cover and into the doorway, although only in small amounts and when the door is closed, I don't think it would get past the seal.

The aircon drain (through the transmission tunnel) is dry and, in any case, the water has been coming in with the car parked.

The rear sunroof drain grommet behind the c-pillar is dry.

I have sprayed the footwell with leak finder spray and, after a lot of rain, the footwell is bone dry with no witness trails, but the carpet under the seat is saturated.

I have no idea how this can be getting in. Any ideas welcome.

Andrew
  • Spuffington
    United Kingdom 

So, an update of sorts.

Had a bit of a breakthrough today. Not sure to what I attribute it; whether it’s the damming Trustpilot Review I left, the YouTube short with loads of hashtags and references to Rockar, the constant emails to Complaints Department, the JLR Finance complaint, or just whether the chap finally read through his unread emails….

Either way, I finally got a phonecall today. An apology it had taken so long to respond and full acknowledgement and sympathy for the predicament in which I find myself. He’s going to arrange for my car to be collected and a loan car provided, then they will strip it down, investigate the issue. If it’s something they can solve, they will, otherwise if they’re not convinced then they’ll look to get me into another vehicle or (inference only), get my money back. We’ll see.

I’m just delighted it’s being taken seriously and understood the issue was there from the outset. It might take a while to organise it being taken in but at least it’s all in motion.

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

Fingers crossed it works out.

It’s my observation that dealers are on a very short JLR leash. They seem to have to get their pre approval for every single thing warranty wise. This creates delays ad nauseam due to their remote lack of intimate involvement with the customer. Don’t get me wrong, the dealers seem to relish hiding in this protracted fog.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum